Leica or Swarovski

Leica Geovids. Too bad you weren't in the market four or five months ago when you could've gotten get them for $1,299.99 NIB.

I've got some geovids for sale in the classifieds if you're interested.

As far as Leica v Swarovski, you may as well be asking ford v chevy or hoyt v mathews. Everyone has an opinion, and they're all right. Only you can decide which one feels and looks better to you. Different folks have different eyes. I've got both and love both. It just depends on what you want to do with them.

"As far as Leica v Swarovski, you may as well be asking ford v chevy"

So what you are saying is that Leica and Swarovski are both junk......Couldn't help myself, I am a Toyota guy.

I get your point, both a great glass. Are the HD modles in both brands that much better? Are the Swaro EL's that much better than the SLC's? How aobut the differnet modles in Lecia? That is what I meant to ask. Sorry for the confusion.

RRS,

Clearly Toyota is better (I own a 2009 Tundra) but my point was ford v chevy guys argue alot. :)

HD glass is clearly (pun intended) better. SLCs and ELs are very close optically- most of the difference is in ergonomics now. The new EL Swarovisions are a clear step above those two. The new SLCs will be the same, I'm sure. They've got a completely new prism and lens system but they'll be awesome. You really just need to go down to cabelas or whatever you have close and see which looks better to you.

My personal opinion is something like this-

1. Swarovision EL
2. Zeiss Victory (although i wouldn't buy these)
3. Ultravid HD

Here's a good comparison chart.

http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2008roundup/chart_main.html

why wouldnt you buy the victories? I almost bought a pair of 8x42 this past weekend-they had them clearanced for $1299. Is there something i should know about them?

No, you did great. They are great binos and that's a terrific price. I just didn't like them as much as the other two - ergonomics, optics, and overall feel. Most birders think that the victories are the best binos made.

I don't own either...yet, but spent some time at Cabelas looking through glass today. Nothing wrong with Leica or Swarovski glass. I looked through some other stuff that was pretty good to, but not of the quality of these two. In the end I am sure that I will be getting the 8.5x42 ELs. They just gave me the best image for my eyes and also were the best ergonomically. To bad they weren't running the same sale on the 8.5s as the 10s or I'd have walked out with a pair. Just a tad short on cash...

Personally I love my Swaro SLCs. I hunted with a buddy in WY last year that has the Leicas and we spent quite a bit of time trading back and forth to compare. Optical clarity to my eyes was indistinguishable, but I can defiantly see a difference in the color between the two. To my eyes the Swarovski SLCs have a warmer tone that I think renders truer colors. What you see may be different though, that is why it is important to spend some time looking through each brand/model and buy what suites you best.

I have the Leica Ultravid HD 12X50 and I am very happy with them. I have friends that have swaros and so me they seem very close optically.

My 2 cents.

I just bought the zeiss victory fl, I love them. Any of the big 3 you can't go wrong. Zeiss looked best to me, but the swaro was my next choice.

Rub some dirt on it, ya sissy!

Check out the Swarovski on ebay right now! With the deals on there it is pretty hard to pass up! I just got a new pair of slc's for $1000 dollars! Yes I said $1000 dollars. I had every intention to buy the Cabelas euros until I came across that deal, and just could not pass it up. I have looked through the new swarovision and wow is all I have to say! But $1500 dollars more? I couldn't justify it!

Keep an eye out on Craigslist also. I got a 5 year old pair of 10x42 SLC's for $600 3 years ago and just picked up a pair of 15x56's for $1000 6 months ago.

You have to be pretty quick though.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom