Lesson Learned!!! Ruby Hunt

N

NVRACKS49

Well im bored so if youre reading this you probably are too. My Buck hunt this year in rubies was fun and frustrating at the same time. First day I get up top and I spot a 190ish 5x5 with 4 other bucks including a 2x3 that was not being modest pushing 40inches wide. I actually wasnt sure which buck to shoot once in position he was so big. To cut this stalk short I managed to get within 100 yards of the group of 5. Only a couple shrubs and sage between me and the bucks on the mountain side. I waited for around an hour for bucks to feed towards me. Before some of you judge on shot distance I practice up to 100 yards. Not that I settle for that distance but will take the shot if I feel its my best opportunity. Anyways 5x5 feeds 85 yards in front of me. I wasnt getting closer and decide to take the shot. He was on the edge for some reason and jumped the string on me. They had no clue I was there so was a little surprised he jumped upon hearing the release. It was a bummer but excited to get that chance right off the bat.
Next day I spot a very respectful 4x4 with 11 other bucks. He bedded in a spot I was familiar with from years past. I worked up and around mountain knowing he would put the smaller bucks in front of him and figured coming from above would give me the advantage. Once I pop over other side I immediately spot the bedded bucks. I take 3 hours working my way into position for a shot. I get into perfect position and the big 4 point gets up and feeds 70 yards in front of me according to range finder. I know better than this but i pulled a rookie mistake and forgot to adjust yardage with the steep angle shot I had. Lesson learned is to have a quality range finder that does this for you. So everything is textbook up to the shot. Of course I shoot over his back cause I'm an idiot.
Next morning I spot same herd of bucks moving towards the backside of the mountain. I know there is only one opening where they can climb down the backside so I move around to meet them there. The bucks do as I thought and drop down backside in that spot. I pop my head over the backside and there he is. Same lucky son of a gun. This shot is even steeper. Steepest shot I ever had to take. I range him for really no reason and rangefinder had him at 95 yards. I put my 60 pin on him and release. My arrow goes inches under his belly. Buck has no clue what happened or where shot came from. He moves about 5 yards more down the face so I draw again. Put my 60 on his back. I literally give this buck a haircut and he explodes like a mountain goat off side of mountain down rock slide. Next year Ill have the proper rangefinder. Ill be kickin myself in the but until next year. In all I seen over 30 bucks in 4 days. I am bummed I didnt capitalize on my chances but I guess thats what makes it so special when you knock a good one down. Hope you enjoyed the story anyways.

I hate to say this but all these misses I hear about could very very easily be wounded animals, come on, these animals deserve better, is it that important to just hit something? hit and hope shooting means you will likely wound many more animals than you harvest, the kill area is far smaller than the whole body, try stalking and being sure about your shot, thats what bowhunting should be about.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-21-12 AT 11:09PM (MST)[p]I dont think im going to make another trip for deer. Im helping a friend out on his bull hunt in september. I have video of the 4 point I missed and got some video the next morning of the 5x5 and big 2x3 going over ridge but its from a distance. Ill try and get the pic of the 4 point on here for you guys. Thanks for reading. Well I wrote this post knowing I would get some people disagreeing with longer shots. Thats your choice. Ill make my choice on my shot selection. 60 yards isnt far by most western game hunters standards. I didnt have the exact range due to a crappy rangefinder. The 80 yard shot is a bit far, but he was broadside and standing still. He jumped the string. Here is the 4 point. Not nearly as big as the 5x5 but he was decent with some good fronts.
699006.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Aug-21-12 AT 10:48PM (MST)[p]Seriously worry about your own shooting. No shot I took were shots I havent made before. With a quality rangefinder I had a dead deer. Those shots with those angles are tough to guess and thats where I was at with my crappy rangefinder. Hence the Lesson Learned title.

Irresponsible shots and words IMO.... very lucky you didn't wound one of those deer. You make a point of practicing and being proficient at those distances.... you're not... by your own admission.... you missed a whole deer with every shot you took... luckily. Part of practicing is using the equipment and shot angles for the shots you will be taking.... irresponsible to take those shots IMO. You should practice your stalking techniques so you can get closer. Yada, yada, yada.... I wish I hadn't read this. Ed F

http://community.webshots.com/user/bowuntr

Sounds like you had a good time. Go back after them, they should be not far from where you saw them. As for the 60 yard shots, take what your comfortable shooting at, and stick with that. If you wound him track him down. All part of the experience. All part of the hunt. Not everyone shoots like a pro and especially when I deer presents itself. The nerves are everywhere. If you practised at that distance then a little buck fever took over your shot. This is quite normal. Now the 100 yard shot would be streching it, in my opinion. The kinetic eneregy of the arrow wouldn't be there. Have fun.

At 80 yds, they dont have to "jump the string". They have plenty of time to move for another bite or a good stretch. Hell, they cant even hear your bow at 80 yds, your to far away! A practice target is a piece of cake at 80+ yds. It doesent MOVE! When the majority of your peers say its not right, its time to suck in your pride and reconsider your actions. Wounded animals suck dude. Think about it.

After reading it again I wonder if the buck that jumped the string got stuck with an arrow, or if it was a complete miss?

A few things throw a flag up on this post,..if you've hunted that country before,..then you would realize a rangefinder with tilt compensation would be invaluable, and you practice out to 100 yds.?...how big a group do you shoot at that distance?..with broadheads?..t.o.f of even a fast bow gives the animal alot of time to move, to each there own,but these animals deserve respect..not to be hail maryed at.
Mike

I seen him the next day and also watched him for some time after the shot. He was fine. I knew this would stir the pot which is fine. Youre all entitled to your own opinion. 60 yards is a shot I will take all day, especially in the rubies. I never said I took a 100 yard shot. Not sure where youre reading that. I said I practice up to.

Tell my wall I dont know what im doing. My taxidermist bill is pretty impressive

The only shot I took that I can even see your side a little is the one at 80 yards. After that I had a 70 yard shot and two shots at about 60. Yes I didnt know the exact yardage but youre high if you think Im passing up a 70 yard shot and under. I lost my expensive rangefinder and settled on a cheaper one. It cost me. Many of your opinions are just opinions. You werent there. Nobody I know nor do I think any of you would pass up 3 of my 4 shots.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-12 AT 10:01PM (MST)[p]Maybe you should read the post again. I practice up to 100 yards like many people do. By no means do I plan on shooting at that distance. I missed cause I didnt know the yardage. I bought a cheap rangefinder after i lost my more expensive one. With yardage it was a done deal period. Tough country to guess yardage and I wasnt about to pass up some of those shots.

just take your 30/30 next time...your taxi dude won't care and your wall won't care and I don't care!!
then you can brag all you want.. your the skid mark of bad bow hunting ethics..
GR

So your cheap rangefinder worked fine when you did all your practicing???

But sucked when you had those muzzleloader distance shots?

Robb

LAST EDITED ON Aug-23-12 AT 04:07PM (MST)[p]Im sorry you feel 60 and 70 yard shots are muzzleloader shots. That must really suck to be you. Ill keep killing and filling my wall up and you guys can watch from the sidelines and wait for your 20 yard shot. Best of luck to all you ##### talkers

Make sure and report to NDOW the 10-20 deer a year you're wounding and killing so they can lower tags and screw the rest of us!! Congrats, we have all awarded you the belt buckle for the year for "biggest Douchebag"!!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-23-12 AT 06:39PM (MST)[p]

Take dumb@ass shots and you'll get dumb@ss results,wonder how many of your misses were actually gut shot deer...If you cant get any closer you better hang up that bow,closing the distance is the challenge of archery hunting,if you cant hack it stick to the rifle,quit wounding game that others could have harvested cleanly.

So last year ya wounded close to 5 bucks with no recovery..

This year you missed 3-4 bucks....

Do you even know how to bowhunt?? stalk??? shoot a bow??

So why don't you post up all your big Taxidermy bill harvest??

You are the PETA Poster Boy for no bow hunting!

Go 'Smoke-a-Bong' and get back with us.......

Robb

close as i can figure you didnt have any 70 or 60 yard shots...you had a 95 and a 100 yard shot down hill. Do you practice 100 yard shots down a steep angle? Or just 100 yards over flat ground? Obviously you dont practice any downhill shooting. Either way your shooting too far.
If you think you are that good then thats your opinion. the rest of us know better...how do we know that? By your posts..everytime you post about your hunts its nothing more than either you wounded 1 and spent a couple of hours looking for it and couldnt find it so you go shoot another, or its about how you missed some dumbass shot at 100 yards.
Maybe you are the one who should buy a muzzle loader and then take your 100 yard shots.
Have to agree with the above poster...go hit the bong and get back to us once again.

Hey dum**a**, When you range a object downhill with a range finder that doesnt compensate for the angle its not a correct reading. If you read the damn post it says I place my 60 yard pin on him when I ranged him at 95 yards or so. I had to compensate for the angle cause my range finder wouldnt. It was a 60ish yard shot. Lets be smart before we post and look like an idiot

Bunch of big tough guys over the internet lol. I am actually enjoying listening to you people cry. Your opinion when you werent there means nothing. Maybe you guys should go check out the local petting zoo instead of hunting. I watch TV episodes where they air guys shooting Bulls, Bucks etc on their shows. I guess they air unethical hunting on tv.... Last time I checked its 2012. Lets get with the times. I think its funny how you keep coming to my post to talk smack. Im on here cause im getting a kick out of it. You guys probably never even shot at a 4x4 before, so I can understand the jealousy. Let me know how that 20 yard shot works out for you if it ever comes. GL

By the way just to let you know im not a lone wolf here. I have plenty of pms on my side but they just dont wanna take the heat from you fools. Cheers

Okay I did those bong hits...... and I still see a very
competent idiot!!
although I just laugh a little longer..(now he claims he has plenty of pm's cramps or somthing....).

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-12 AT 04:07AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-12 AT 04:03?AM (MST)

NVRACKS ,what bow you shooting ,The Black Widow ,or The Critter Gitter ??Nothing like a dialed in stick bow!!!!!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-12 AT 08:21AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-12 AT 08:06?AM (MST)

Is that angle thingy new?? Is it the same uphill as down? Is it kinda like shooting into 40mph crosswind? Ya right about there might do it! Ive never heard of it, boy that sure explains alot!! Thanks!
I dont think most are questioning your shots as much as they are your consistency of bad shots.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-26-12 AT 12:30PM (MST)[p]Your obvious disregard for ethics is pathetic.Not to mention your lack of respect for the animals you hunt.As long as it ends up on the wall,ethics be damned,eh??

No use even saying anything to this clown,guys.He will not be deterred from his style of hunting by anyone.You will never show a guy like this how wrong he really is.

The first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem.Maybe;just maybe we are right and you are wrong,NVRACKS.Ever consider that maybe your hunting style might be wrong??I mean really-just consider that concept one time.

Most bowhunters won't even consider a 60 yd shot.Too many things can go wrong.You had many of those things happen to you,but you are too blinded by your own selfishness to see it.

Seriously dude-question your actions just one time.Maybe you shouldn't have taken those shots.

Pretty ironic that you named this thread "Lessons Learned".You didn't learn what you needed to.

>Hey dum**a**, When you range a
>object downhill with a range
>finder that doesnt compensate for
>the angle its not a
>correct reading. If you read
>the damn post it says
>I place my 60 yard
>pin on him when I
>ranged him at 95 yards
>or so. I had to
>compensate for the angle cause
>my range finder wouldnt. It
>was a 60ish yard shot.
>Lets be smart before we
>post and look like an
>idiot

You need to study the concept a little more...

These 100 yard bow hunters are not as rare as you might think. Blaming your equipment? What a buch of bull. Cripplers like this will ruin it for ethical hunters, but it seems like there are fewer and fewer of what I call ethical hunters every year. I sure wouldnt object if someone wanted to test this guys health insurance coverage.

I actually did learn a another lesson outside the field this year. Theyre a lot of bit*hes on this site. Although I got many pms of guys who dont hate so Ill continue to come on here. Hope none of you guys complaining watch western hunting tv shows where they constantly take 50+ yard shots. Maybe you guys should stick to whitetail hunting sit on the corn field edge. Sounds like it right up your ally. I bet a few of you guys talking have actually taken shots and arent willing to live up to it. Anyways off to kill help my buddy kill his Bull... Dont worry will try and keep at a reasonable distance. Pictures coming shortly

Now Tom I dont even think I would shoot a stick bow at that distance haha. But Ill take the black widow over the critter gitter I think

LAST EDITED ON Aug-29-12 AT 10:46AM (MST)[p]Just because it's on TV don't make it right.Just because everyone is doing it don't make it right.Grow up,dude.Think about stuff a little deeper sometimes.

I was once like you...

It's not always about the trophy.

Been hunting all my life, and the disregard you have for your prey is absolutley sickening. I didnt want to get into this thread, but what we have here is the reason hunting gets a bad name. Get into pool or something.......OH THATS RIGHT, YOU HAVE AN EGO TO STROKE, SO YOUR GOING TO KILL AS MANY ANIMALS AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN TO STROKE IT? And yes, im just another douchebag, talking trash, so save your breath.

I'm not going to chastize you. But I do have a request or two. Would you please post a picture of your rig(black out the plate) and a picture of your self. I just want to make sure I know when to get off the mountain. I promise that if I see your rig at the trail head I will go somewhere else. Feel free to PM me if your not comfortable posting it up here.

>I'm not going to chastize you.
> But I do have
>a request or two. Would
>you please post a picture
>of your rig(black out the
>plate) and a picture of
>your self. I just
>want to make sure I
>know when to get off
>the mountain. I promise
>that if I see your
>rig at the trail head
>I will go somewhere else.
>Feel free to PM me
>if your not comfortable posting
>it up here.

Or apply the needed "tune up" to said vehicle...

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom