Lets see'em

Yesterday afternoon on my way home I saw a Truck pulling a trailer with a little (and I mean little 12") 2X1 buck in the back. I just thought to myself WHY?

Tallbuck1

Maybe he only had one day to hunt. Maybe this was his first deer ever. Maybe the kid who shot it was only 14. Maybe............ I'm sure he wouldn't have shot it if he didn't want to, any deer with a bow is a trophy.

Rut

>Maybe he only had one day
>to hunt. Maybe this
>was his first deer ever.
> Maybe the kid who
>shot it was only 14.
> Maybe............ I'm sure
>he wouldn't have shot it
>if he didn't want to,
>any deer with a bow
>is a trophy.
>
>Rut

EXCELLENT comment. My wife is archery hunting for her first time ever and believe me, she'd be happy as can be with a spike or 2pt. Bow hunting is tough, dont presume to guess why people shoot what they do, just congradulate them as a successful hunter and move on and do your own thing.

-DallanC

That comment is exactly what this is all about, your definition of "nice" and someone else's opinion will obviously be different. Are you going to smack your son upside the head when he wants to shoot a 2-point? Most people are not going to hike in 7 miles to shoot a small buck, so if a "trophy" is what you are looking for, get a little farther off the beaten path!

Rut

Well Rutt, looks like my first reply was deleted so I better leave it at that. To each his own and if harvesting 2-points is your thing then so be it. Good luck this year to everyone!

I have to agree with Rut. Maybe a 2 point is not what you or I would take but it is not our call to make for everyone. In fact the legislature and/or the Game and Fish has set forth what the perameters are and as long as a 2 point is legal I do not think it is our place to criticise. I think we are all in this together and we need to appreciate the differences that exist between us. Let us not seek reasons to disagree among our group that will only be used against us in the future by the anti-hunting groups. That is my 2 cents anyway....Jim

Put this thread right up there with quads, hunting with guides, auction tags, 50+ yard archery shots, etc..... Debated over & over each year. ;-)

I've only killed two animals with my bow. A 1X2 muley four years ago, and a yearling cow last year. TO EACH THEIR OWN!!!! THESE ARE TROPHYS TO ME! I have another cow tag this year, and I'm VERY excited about it. ;-)

Good luck all.

S.

:)

Stanley;
I agree Hi jacked for sure! All I wanted to do is some some Utah bucks (no matter the size) but I guess that's what happens (watch this get some reaction)when you ask Utards a simple question and all they want to do complain about someone ealse kill the only trophy buck left in Utah, or some s.o.b. messing up theyr'e great hunt in the promised land with an atv or ask who got the goveners tag. what a bunch of whiney (sp) b!tch's never mind!! all of them must drive bmw (b!tch moan and whine)

4X4,

here is your reaction you wanted. Are you a resident? If so hit the door, and you won't have to worry what goes on here. If you are not a resident, don't bother coming back. Sounds good.

'It's all about the gut pile'

You guys have given me a great idea! Since I've recently discovered a heavy interest in small bucks maybe I'll start my own website called www.PuneyMuley's.com and see if I can get guys like Doyle Moss and the Sportsman's Warehouse and maybe even Cabela's to pay me big money to advertise on it....

FYI, I never intended to hijack this thread, but I have to admit--it's been well worth it, you guys are a lot of fun! I promise not to de-rail this thread any longer so all you guys that have been lucky enough to harvest that monster muley (in your eyes), lets see some pics!

HA HA, MAN I LOVE IT WHEN YOU GUYS GET ALL RYOLED(SORRY FOR THE SPELLING) OVER THIS STUFF. I ESPECIALLY LIKE THE ONE ABOUT THE B.M.W'S IN UTAH, I LIVE IN UTAH AND SURE AS HECK DONT HAVE A BEEMER. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK BOYS! AND YEAH LETS SEE SOME PICS.

My dad and I went out opening weekend and saw five bucks. 4 of which where 2x2 or smaller and one was a nice 22 wide 4x4 that was about 22 tall. He was sixty yards from me when he spooked. Didn't get any pics but my dad heads out today for his North Cache archery elk tag (lucky!!). I am gonna head out on friday after school and hopefully see this buck again. I'll try to get some pics.

younghunter22

LAST EDITED ON Aug-24-05 AT 01:56PM (MST)[p]Here is a picture to look at. Perhaps it'll create even more lame debate. I am a very avid hunter who finally had time to take military leave and return to Utah to hunt. I am just happy to be on american soil hunting again. My buck is just a forked horn, but it is my first buck with a bow. I was just as happy to get him as I was to take a couple trophy bucks I have taken with a rifle. The trophy is definitely in the eye of the beholder. Best of luck to all.

430cd08224e21686.jpg

Archerycrazy, glad you're in the US of A, and in a condition to hunt! Congrats on your first archery buck, my first was a 1x2 - so you beat me on "firsts". To all those who ask "why?", and criticize those who kill "lesser" (in your eyes only) animals:

1. It is perfectly fine to hunt for food. Anyone who criticizes another hunter for legally harvesting edible animals is attacking the very core of hunting.

2. Perhaps those who kill small bucks and even (gasp!) antlerless are such caring, selfless individuals, they do so in order to pump up your fragile egos and sense of moral superiority.

3. I am absolutely, positively sick-to-death of wannabe trophy hunters who want all other hunters constrained in order to make it easier for them to kill big bucks.

Sorry to continue the hijacking, needed to rant.

My first was a doe and I could not have been more proud! Congrats on your first buck, you have me beat.

"Why?"
Why not? Many are meat hunters. Many areas of the countries don't have liberal antlerless tags, many don't have much time to hunt, many feel it a privilage to get an animal and are not impressed or influenced by antlers...

I have heard hypotheses that present possibly sound reasons why it may be beneficial to the deer herd to not harvest the younger bucks, but so that we'll have more bigger bucks is not one of them. Though....more bigger bucks would be a result if management were based on such. Meat hunters would do well to respect trophy hunters. Trophy hunters would do well to respect meat hunters.

I am an x-utard thank god !!!! But until I got out in the real hunting world i never killed any thing over two points! So hit that door!! bmw cruiser's

Well coming up Friday is the opener here in Az. and if any of these walk in front of my son or 2 nephews they will do their best to let the air out of them, They have yet to get their first archery bucks and maybe this will be their year.

430d2a324ffabfd3.jpg

430d2a62504e1406.jpg

430d2a9050997c34.jpg

hey archerycrazy;
congrats that is awsome and yes a trophy! i have personaly killed spikes and two points and have put them one the wall. because i love to hunt and thats what i do.
my hunt starts next week and the first to cross my path will get shot at and thank you for posting a picture instead of driving a bmw. Mack

Hey time out! x( I have a BMW and I hunt. :) The way I see it is everyone has to start somewhere. I shot a fork horned buck several years ago and was proud as can be about it. Now every year I set my sites higher and higher. If there was something wrong with shooting little bucks it wouldn't be legal.

B.M.W. is an acronym for b!tch moan & whine. no offense intended to those that drive the accutial one's. if you want to shot forkies and spikes who cares it not to up to us to judge.let's just enjoy the pic's and stories that all have to tell. most of the stories that go with the pic's of all the bucks that the average guy shoots is usaully better than those in the magazines.
that is why i started this thread. to and here the stories and see the pictures. not to nit pick why and not to hear B.M.W.'s run off at the key board. good luck and have a good one Mack

where can u use a crossbow during the general archery season. Anyway that is one hell of a pig. I mostly hunt blacktails in norhtern california. i havent killed any trophy deer but i fill my freezer every year with a forky or three point. i go to school and dont have a lot of time to hunt and the funny thing is that the smaller ones sometimes eat better anyway. last sunday i got my fourth archery blacktail although it was small i was happy as hell to kill him.

That's a great buck. I'm curious, how were you able to hunt with a crossbow on a General Archery tag, on public land, in Utah?

13 years ago I had both hands cut off in an accident, it also broke my back, crushed my pelvis, broke my hip, and legs. I thought my hunting days were gone! The doctors at the UofU reattached my hands and arm. I could not walk for over a year and have had 19 surgeries. I qualify for a crossbow permit because I can not physically pull a traditional bow back. Crossbows are not magical bows that allow you to shoot great distances and require just as much practice and yardage adjustments as any other bow. They also have a much more limited range than most compound bows today. At forty yards these guy's drop of sharp. So I have not taken many shots most bow hunter could have. I shot this buck at 25 yards and am proud that I did so with a bow. Any healthy person could have shot this buck with any legal bow!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-26-05 AT 02:03PM (MST)[p]Ironhead, you are entitled to your opinion, but I have a different view.

This is out of Columbia University Encyclopedia

archery, sport of shooting with bow and arrow, an important military and hunting skill before the introduction of gunpowder. England's Charles II fostered archery as sport, establishing in 1673 the world's oldest continuous archery tournament, the Ancient Scorton Arrow Contest. Clubs mushroomed throughout Europe from the late 17th cent. A revived interest in the United States led to the formation of the National Archery Association in 1879. Though field archery (using bows without sights), flight shooting (for distance), and crossbow are competitive sports, the primary international contests involve target shooting, the object of which is to score points with a specified number of arrows aimed at the target's center?a ?pinhole? dot surrounded by nine concentric colored circles. The value of hits decreases from the pinhole to the outermost circle. Although archery competitions were occasional Olympic events until 1920, they took an official place on the program only in 1972. The F?d?ration Internationale de Tir ? l'Arc (FITA; est. 1930) governs international competition. In recent decades, the bow and arrow has also regained popularity as a hunting weapon.

Notice it lists crossbow.

Definition
arch?er?y (?r'chə-rē)
n.
The art, sport, or skill of shooting with a bow and arrow.
The equipment of an archer.
A group of archers.

Another fact
The crossbow, while dating from classical times, became quite popular during the Middle Ages. While it took decades to train a longbow man, someone could become proficient with a crossbow with little training. The crossbow had about the same power and range as a longbow. Its major drawback was that it took a long time to reload

It has advantages and disadvantages, Yes I dialed it in faster, but I still have to judge distance, and make ethical choices. unlike your Archery Equipment, I only get 1 shot.

A cross bow has a bow, and shoots arrows, what more do you need.

I really don't care what anybody thinks, but I feel that before judgment is past you should educate yourself.

I harvested this buck with hard work, scouting, patience, and ethical standards that I hold to the highest levels. Anybody who knows me personally knows I am a dedicated hunter who lives for the sport and if I could would use a compound bow, or even a long bow. I am the president of our chapter for the mule Deer foundation in our area. I have put countless hours in to better our sport.

I would have never given up the use of my hands to use one of these evel crossbows but it happened. I suspect you would not either, but if it did happen to you, I bet you would feel the same way.

Awesome buck Elkeholic! I love that drop-tine coming off his left side!

I'm heading-out tonight here in AZ after my boy gets out of football practice. Can't wait!

Good job!

S.

:)

Hell of nice deer I don't care if you used throwing knives. A cross bow is Archery equipment. I have one but I don't shoot it beause my hoyt is a better bow, But they are fun to shoot some times. I think you did a great job, because I know how hard it is to get that close to a big deer and still kill him.

Hey Elkeholic,

Don't sweat it. Some guys just can't be happy for someone because it's not them holding the horns ya know? If I were you, I would be damn proud to have a buck like that (I don't, and I hunt with a rifle!) You have every right to be proud of your accomplishment. You worked hard, put in the time and effort, and did your homework. Anyone who does that is deserving in my book! Congrats to you, and thanks for sharing the story & pics.

EG

campfire2.gif
"A man can be hard to find in the mountains, but you're welcome at my fire anytime."

Elkeholic;
great buck and it's great utah has that law on the books. so someone with the problems that you have had can still do what they love. the guys that are complaining would have probably given up. cross bows are still archery equipment. if utah had said it was ok you would see more of them used because like you said they all think there magical and can shoot farther.
i have had one and that is far from the truth in my exp. they are harder to use than it looks. enough of my babble before i hi-jack my own thread like others. congarts. Mack

Elkeholic,

Congrats on a fine trophy. Sorry to hear about your accident and happy to hear you never gave up the sport when times where tough. That's a great accomplishment and you should be very proud.

Idaho has the same rules as Utah does. Good luck and shoot a nice elk while your at it.

Later,
IB

I know Elkeholic and he earned and deserves this buck. I've shot selfbows, longbows, recurves, compounds and crossbows. The crossbow would be the most difficult piece of equipment to use. They're heavy, loud, cumbersome and they aren't nearly as efficient as a longer bow. They are a very short range weapon at best. To take any deer with a crossbow makes more points with me than one taken with a compound.

Way to go Elkeholic!

Elkeholic,

First off, Congrats on a terrific buck @ 25 yards.
Secondly, Congrats on the abuility to continue to hunt after the set backs you have endured.
Third and lastly, There is zero need for you to explain anything to anyone on THIS site. We appreciate your willingness to share your success.

Thanks again,

buck1.gif

Later, Brandon

My mouth dropped with Ironheads comment, disgusting. Elkeholic, no need to explain yourself. 99% of the guys on this site understand your passion and drive to continue hunting after an unfortunate accident. congrats on a buck that is larger than anything I have ever shot bow, smokepole, or rifle. Great Buck!

Elkeholic I agree with all the positive responses you have received. I am not sure why Ironhead chose to make his comment but I expect it has more to do with being GEEN with envy than anything else. Anyway great buck, great job and thanks for sharing.

Elkeholic,

What a great story. Standing still with mule deer at 25 yards.... most hunters couldn't do that with a rifle. You obviously are a true sportsman and outdoorsman.

After reading your story, it make me very proud and excited for you to take such a great buck. Well deserved and you deserve to hunt with a rifle for that matter. If IRONHEAD and his other jackass buddies want to critize your useage of weapons... What do you say we cut off their hands and see what they cry about then..... At least your back and in the field.

Elkeholic your buck just became a whole lot more impressive to me from your story. Not of how you got your buck but what you went through to get it.

Keep it up... Good Luck with the Elk you damn elkeholic. Thanks again for posting your buck. It's an awesome treat to see others success.

GW4CROSSBOW

Maybe we should ask Bonehead where his pictures are? That is one great looking buck good job!

Thanks so much for the positive posts. I may have gotten a bit defensive, but I really worked hard for him.

It's funny, a few guys seen me take him out of where I harvested him and all hell broke loose. My wife still has a tag and I have an archery Elk tag. So we headed back this weekend. There was an old logging road in there with a large tree blocking the road. Somebody cut the tree out and it was like a freeway in there. I swear guys get off those wheelers and your success will go way up. The road in question is not even a legal road to travel but many hunters around drove up in there anyway. Funny how fast news travels. Sorry this thread just keeps getting off topic.

Good luck to all hunting.

Congrats on an awesome buck. And way to keep at it after your accident. Most people would have given up.

Here is a buck my buddy took the day before mine. This is his first archery buck and he was proud. The shot was meant for the vital, but the arrow landed right between the eye's. This buck ran over 300 yards like this. The meat on this buck is goooood.
steves_first_one.jpg

There is a reason they call it Hunting, and not Killing
link.jpg

I was not there so the details are not available, but he was broadside and from what he said, it must have moved at the same time he shot. After the shot he sat down for 1 hour befor tracking it. He was dead when he arrived and the arrow must have missed the brain and spinal cord for him to go so far. The arrow busted off in the back. That Hoyt Razor tech is simply mind numbing :) Of course we have had fun with this shot.

link.jpg

Ouch! I generally have a pretty strong stomach, but that picture was just a bit much before breakfast.... ;-)

S.

Great deer guys! Elkeholic, I take my hat off to you. I've never been busted up like that, but my wife came out on the short end of a collision with a freight truck about a year and a half ago and I know it is a long haul for the body to recover and generally there is residual suffering for a lifetime.

I've never understood the big buck/little buck---crossbow/compound/traditional arguments. Personally I would think a crossbow would be a handicap on a stalk, but if that is your weapon of choice--all the more power to ya! I took up tradtional years ago, because I wanted a bit more challenge and after carring a stick and string for a day, decided I didn't want to carry the bulky, heavy wheels around anymore. Regardless, it still takes skill to stalk and place a good shot on an animal.

Elkeholic, That is an awesome buck. Any man or woman that reads these posts would kill to have a buck like that. I think that it is awesome that you are still able to hunt and still enjoy life to its fullest. I have a really good friend who was crushed by a thirty foot wall while framing a big commercial building and it broke his back in three places well this happened about three weeks after he got married and he hasn't given up in fact he is very happy. He is paralyzed from the waist down. I think that all of us can learn alot from people that have had these tragedies/blessings like yourself and my friend. Never give up and you can accomplish anything. Anyway great buck and keep up your spirits and just blow off these wise guy remarks its just jealousy.
Best of luck to everyone else. I've had buck fever all year and I have been out every weekend since opening and have seen a lot of deer and I hate to say it but I have missed 8 shots.... 3 of which were within 35 yards, but oh well thats how the cookie crumbles again great buck and hopefully i'll be posting a buck on here next week as I am going out again this weekend.

Utbowhntr223
"LIVIN TO HUNT & HUNTIN TO LIVE"

Hey guys, Congrats on everyones trophies. Just remember it's not the size of the horns that make the deer a trophy, but the memories from that hunt that stay inside of you forever that make it a true trophy. You will never forget a deer tagged with a bow tag. Something about it is just magical, the gleam of the Velvet in the sun, They are all trophies, Congrats guys!

-Cass

Freaking awesome buck! Congrats on bagging a huge public land Utah buck. Thanks for sharing the pics.

I won't shoot a 2pt but I will not give people crap for shooting one. I guess if you want to kill a little one and you are happy good for you and if you want to kill a big deer you hhave to let them grow up.
Later

"How many bucks have you taken with a bow?"

"Just one, shot him between the eyes...heres the pic"

Awesome!!

Great job on your buck as well.

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

I have personally taken 2 Deer with a bow, and 5 or 6 with a gun.
link.jpg

Elkoholic, Nice buck!! Congratulations on a well earned trophy and My guess is he'll look great as a mount! You may have your work cut out for you a little topping this guy next year. Congratluations again and enjoy thanks for sharing.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom