Lets talk about chains before the season

LouieT

I would like to know what trucks you guys are putting chains on the front axles of. Most of the new half ton trucks don't allow chains up front. I have a 2006 dodge 2500 diesel with 265/70r17 tires and it says no chains up front with that tire size. So far I haven't needed to chain up with the truck. Just wondering what year and make you guys are putting chains on.

Thanks,

Louie

We run Dodge 2500 & 3500 diesels on the ranch and we always chain up the front, plenty of clearance with the 265/70r17's.

I put my tire chains on my dads Dodge last year and they worked fine, but DID make contact with the tie-rod end (I believe that's what they were rubbing) a couple times and we had to stop and adjust them. We only drove 8 miles with them. I have to say, I don't know if I trust them. Maybe I need new chains..??

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Is the truck still under warranty, if so, don't chain up the front because if you do and have a problem or do damage....the maker of the truck is not going to cover the damages.

Brian

LAST EDITED ON Sep-30-09 AT 11:05PM (MST)[p]my tacoma says no chains on the front also...but thats the tires you need them on the most when you really need them...so i got the smallest link chains i could find, then fitted them on in the driveway with it jacked up. so i could make sure they cleared the tierods and balljoints ok. they do rub the fenderwell plastic in turns.but, if ya gotta get unstuck, sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do...or walk home.

I agree, but if you need them you need them. buy the best you can find learn how to put them on before you need to, and do a driveway inspection. I spent almost as much on my set of chains for my "hunting truck" as I did on the winch...quess what I use more
nvjohn

I ran them on my 04 dodge diesel. Stock height with 285's and the beefiest chain I could find. I put them on as tight as I can, and use the rubber tension cords to keep them where they should be.

They would rub a little if I turned sharp one way or the other, but not if I was going fairly straight.
I hauled loads of hay up the mountain two winters in some deep snow and really put these chains and my truck to the test. The chains wore out after the second season and started breaking links, but for most guys that use them occasionally they will last for a long long time.

I let my bro drive the Dodge while I drove the old chevy and he broke a chain and it flapped the brake line and bent it. It didn't break it, but when I went to trade the truck in the next year they dinged me for $800 because they said it was bad.

If you need chains, it's amazing how much better you can dig when the front is chained up. Just remember to go slow and easy so you don't tear up your truck if you do break a chain while you're digging.

I just built chains for my 2008 GMC 2500 used old heavy chains that i got from a trucking outfit they are a lot heavier than what you can buy anywhere and not that hard to cut down to fit i just put 285s on and i wont go anywhere with out them i put them on the front and if it gets bad enough that i have to chain up the back also i put the back ones on and turn around

Louie T,

Just thought I would chime in. I am running a 1999 F350 with 35" Coopers and I run chain on all four if need be. (if you need them you are usually in a world of hurt with the Diesels as they or atleast mine will dig itself right into trouble) As I am sure you know, the key with any chain is to make sure you double up on the tightners and make dang sure they are snug on the tire and no loose ends are dangling. Also it is not a matter of making them spin a 1,000 miles an hour--it just does not take that and no front end can handle that type of torture when you are stuck real bad. But (just my thoughts), chains on the front are almost manditory when it is slick and it is tough to control direction. They will help with keeping the truck on the road as we all know and do not need to tear the country up to do so. This should not hurt any front end, but the problem most of face is that we either gun it to get out and they catch on a rock or log and then something has to give OR we get lazy and do not pull them off soon enough and are going down the road to fast and they start to whip.

By the way I believe you can still go to Discount Tire and buy a set of chains and if you do not use them in the calendar year then you can return them and get your money back. Of course many do not but that is an option for many. Discount Tire has a wide range of cheap wire chains and of course the heavy duty linked chains for the big trucks.

Hope this helps
Dean

I've been runing chains on all four tires of my 99 F150 for years without problems. I just bought an 09 F150 and the clearance between the tires and the tierods are very close. However like the other guys have said, the only time you need chains are when you are all ready in deep trouble. So I'll bungee the heck out of the chains to keep them tight and go for it.

Calif_mike

I've looked everywhere and can't find it, so maybe somebody here knows.

Can you put chains on all four tires on a 2006 F-150 4x4 with 275/65-R18?

Which would be better in deep snow, chains on that truck or chains on my 4-Wheeler?

Grizzly

Hey Grizzly call up Discount Tire they might be able to help you!!

As you probably know it is more about ground clearance than anything. I have had chains/mud tires on my ATV but with only about 11-12" it does not take much snow to get stuck in especially hard pack. But I would much rather have a scratch on my ATV than my truck--but keep in mind that tearing up the mountains for any reason should not be an option. Good luck

Dean

LAST EDITED ON Oct-01-09 AT 07:21PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-01-09 AT 07:21?PM (MST)

>I just built chains for my
>2008 GMC 2500 used old
>heavy chains that i got
>from a trucking outfit they
>are a lot heavier than
>what you can buy anywhere
>and not that hard to
>cut down to fit i
>just put 285s on and
>i wont go anywhere with
>out them i put them
>on the front and if
>it gets bad enough that
>i have to chain up
>the back also i put
>the back ones on and
>turn around

hey I have an 08 3500 do you have any problems hitting the bumper? I have 35 12/50 and it rubbs a little without chains. I sure would like to find a solution so I could use some chains.

Putting them on all 4 is fine, best actually, but be really careful if you only put them on the front. Not a problem in fresh snow off road but if you are on the highway or hard packed snow, you do not want them only on the front. A hard brake and the front will grip while sending the back end swinging around. If you only run 2 chains in hard pack or icy conditions, put them on the back with some weight in the bed.

I have an 06 Dodge 2500 with 285 70 17 and run 4 chains without problem.

Thanks for the replies. I seem to have a fair amount of clearance so I will just make sure I have good bungee's for them.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom