Leupold CDS question

completesportsman

Long Time Member
I've been looking at the CDS for one of my rifles, I was worried if the turret was exposed it would get spun easily going in and out of a rifle scabbard, anyone had any issues with this?

I don't have any of the newer models. Just read reviews. All of mine do not have a zero lock. I am used to checking them periodically. But, I don't horse hunt anymore, so the scabbard isn't an issue either.mtmuley

If something bad is going to happen, it usually happens to me.
I have to try to minimize possible malfunctions. So I have always opted for scopes that have enclosed turrets, covered with a cap, and a ballistic reticle.
I use the reticle for 99% of the shooting and hunting and if needed on very long shots, I can adjust the turret if needed.
I prefer the models that Vortex has like this. For ease of use and certainly for the price.
I use the viper searies.

The zl2 has a button you have to press to unlock the turret.

2a0fcsk.gif

I have the standard CDS scopes, in the scabbards on my horses as well as a sheep hunt in WY I haven't had them ever move. but even if the did I don't see it as a problem anyway just adjust them before you shoot.

I do try to use the scope cover they come with as much as possible in the scabbard. it protects the entire scope and reduces the chance of messing up the CDS.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

I have the VX6 but haven't got the turrets yet. I did lose a windage knob and cap on opening day of my elk hunt last year. I never check those things but I will now. I figured it would be okay since I shot a deer 400 yards away the last time I pulled the trigger three weeks earlier. Luckily I had another rifle. So yes, be careful with the dials.
33801img0599.jpg

I don't care for exposed windage knobs. if you're going to have a problem that's most likely where it's going to come from. not only because it's on the side of the gun but because I don't check my windage all the time before the shot like I do elevation.

My Nightforce has the exposed windage knob but if I had it to do again I'd get the Gunwerks version without it.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

I have owned several Leupold CDS scopes but my latest one is has the Zero lock. I like that much better than the others because some times while walking through brush I have had my scope move off Zero. So far I have been able to tell which way it is off zero because it hasnt moved that much, but that is the one and only reason I have not liked my old models.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom