Leupold vs Swaro spotter

Mallards_Only

Just got back from Cabela's and was intent on picking up a Swaro 20-60 spotter. After looking through them and even trying out one of the Leupold Gold Ring 12-40's, I'm less sure now about the Swaro. I liked the Leupold and couldn't really see a difference in the store. Granted, the lighting and conditions were less than optimal for really testing and comparing. I've heard good things about the Leupold and really liked the more compact and lighter nature of it since I'll be lugging it in a pack occasionally as well as using it at the range. What do you guys think? Anybody had a Leupold that eventually switched to a Swaro. I know Swaro is good but is it that much better for what I'll need it for?

I debated on the two for a long time. The view in the field was slightly better in low light with the swaros but not enough to offset the weight difference for me. I am a backpack hunter and an oz. cutter so the Leupolds are what I went with and I have not been disappointed. My dall sheep guide LOVED my leupold enough that he packed it instead of his own.

If you can swing it, buy both and test them out. Take the loser back. Or make an appointment with one of the sales reps to take you outside the store at dusk with them. Cabelas has done this for me. I've been fooled more than once by "in store" testing.

Problem is I don't live near Cabela's. I was travelling and used the opportunity to see them firsthand and try them out so I didn't have to buy one online without personally checking them out.

I've had them booth and there is no comparson between them in the early morning or late in the evening...the swaros are the best...during the day not much difference.I've seen bucks at early light that I could not pick up with my leupold rifle scope,hope this helps.

I have a Leupold Gold ring and my father in law has a Swaro spotting scope. The Swaro is a better scope but it should be it costs more. The Leupold is still a premium scope. I don't think you could go wrong with either one. The Leupold works great for me. I like that it has good power but is still compact for packing in a backpack. Hope this helps.

P.S- Leupold has awesome customer service.

I guess one thing I'm wondering is how much better light-gathering capability does the Swaro have. For example, if one was able to spot game at first light in the morning with the Swarovski, how long would it be before the same game could be spotted with the Leupold--15 min, 30, 60? I know it's hard to put a number on it as there are a number of variables but my thought is that the lighter weight of the Leupold might "outweigh" the light-gathering capabilities of the Swaro. So I have to wait another 15 min to see game that's gonna take me 4 hours to put a stalk on anyway. Does this make sense or is the Swarovski even better than that in low-light conditions?

I have both and like both. I saw the leupold being used in the movie Hurt Locker. I dont know if the army uses them or not?

I think that the Leupold is better for a backcountry trip because it is lighter and more compact. My father in law's swaro has a 80mm objective lens so to compare the two scopes is not a really fair test because the bigger objective lens would gather more light. In my opinion and it is just my opinion the leupold for the money is the better scope. I have never been using my leupold and thought I needed more light gathering ability. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

I should have done more research before I stated that the leupold was a lighter scope. 3oz would not make much of a difference in weight. The leupold is a little more compact than the swaro. The swaro would be a little better optically. Flip a coin both would serve you well.

Really good question. Struggled with it myself. Get both and keep both if you can swing it I say.

The new HD Leupold spotter is a very fine piece of equipment and I have picked it as the best lightweight scope. What can you say about the Swaro, top of the line in every respect and the best image for the ounce but bigger, heavier, more power and more expensive.

You are going to see game with both. Splitting hairs.

RE the military use of the Leupold spotting scopes. I see mostly the Leupold compacts and the big Kowas on the line but most Scout/Sniper teams use the Leupold in the field.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Not to debate or disagree with you Wade; but just because the military uses it, doesn't mean it's a better product.
My best buddy did 4 tours to the Middle East with Navy Special Forces E.O.D. He took me through his team's gear depot, and stated repeatedly that there are better products out there than some of the stuff he was issued.

Sad to say it; but from his opinion/experience, the military is looking for the best price/product...not just best product.

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

I was simply addressing what had been brought up earlier, I didn't say that it necessarily meant anything.

However, I am a little surprised by your account because as I understand it the various Special Operations Commands have a great deal of latitude and discretionary funds for their equipment and clothing which means they are buying what they want right from retail sources. Maybe the EOD guys don't have it so good or maybe your buddy wasn't the one who got to pick what to buy. Who knows. In any event the Leupold is a good spotter whether the mil community is using it or not.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

LAST EDITED ON Feb-12-10 AT 06:04AM (MST)[p]Understood on that point. I've long considered that Leupy spotter over the big 3. I'm, by no means, defending Swaro..as I think they are too much for the $ anyway.

No doubt Spec Ops do have deeper and wider pockets than a GI unit. You're probably right though, my buddy was only an E6, so I doubt he had much say in products.

Regardless, just so I don't seem like I'm chirping from the peanut gallery, here are some specs on the 2 from their websites

Leupy 12-40x60HD
12.4 inches in length
2.31 lbs (36.96 oz)

Swaro 20-60x65
12 inches in length
39.9 oz

One thing I did notice about the Leupy spotter is how odd the shape is. The eyepiece is pretty long which causes it to equal the length of the Swaro. It doesn't seem that it would be very pack friendly. I can't think of a spotter pocket or even a water bottle pocket that could secure it safely....which would limit it's carrying to your main pouch.

Not sure about those specs. The Swaro is clearly longer than the Leupold by a significant amount. Maybe the Swaro specs are for the angled spotter. I still believe the Leupold is lighter by more than 3 oz. too--unless the HD has added some weight.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-12-10 AT 10:43AM (MST)[p]The only thing I can think of, is maybe Swaro isn't including their eyepieces...?
From Swaro's site (length(in)/weight(oz)):
ATS-65HD - 12.8/39.9
ATS-65 - 12.8/38.8
STS-65HD - 12/39.2
STS-65 - 12/38.1
ATM-65HD - 12.8/36
ATM-65 - 12.8/34.9
STM-65HD - 12/35.1
STM-65 - 12/34.2

And the Leupold Spotter (length(in)/weight(oz)):
GR 12-40x60 - 12.4/37
GR 12-40x60HD - 12.4/37

I carry my leupold spotter in a pack all the time. It may have a odd shape but is really compact. I never have had any problem with it fitting in my Eberlestock J-107.

My Leupold fits into my Eberlestock Halftrack side pocket perfectly. The weight that have been mentioned above for the Swaro only shows the weight of the body. The eyepiece adds another 9.6oz. The body weighs 39.2 for the ATS 65. This would make it 49.8oz.- 12.8oz heavier than the Leupold. 3/4 of a lb. is significant. CDN

>My Leupold fits into my Eberlestock
>Halftrack side pocket perfectly. The
>weight that have been mentioned
>above for the Swaro only
>shows the weight of the
>body. The eyepiece adds another
>9.6oz. The body weighs 39.2
>for the ATS 65. This
>would make it 49.8oz.- 12.8oz
>heavier than the Leupold. 3/4
>of a lb. is significant.
> CDN

That makes more sense. While I didn't have a scale and ruler with me when I saw them in person, there's no way they were similar in weight or length. Seems like a deceptive marketing ploy by Swarovski listing their specs that way.

Thanks for clearing the specs up. Without one handy to measure, I had a feeling Swaro was fudging on their weights.

>I had a feeling Swaro
>was fudging on their weights.

Swaro doesn't fudge their weights. However, sometimes the weights for their units are listed as just the body of the scope, and other times it includes the body plus eye piece. It can be confusing and you have to be careful of which one you are looking at. The body only weight is often used because you can buy any one of several different eye pieces, with varying weights.

I have the 65mm with the 20-60x eye piece and it weights in at 49 oz on my scale.

Thanks for the specs on your 65 rradams.

I wasn't so much saying Swaro was fudging #s; but when they show all descriptions/pictures with a full scope/eyepiece setup, and then quote the specs for it....one would make the assumption that that whole eyepiece/scope in the picture is what the specs are measuring....

but we know what we are when we assume...right? oh well.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom