Leupold VX-3 Turret Protection

Lien2

Very Active Member
What do you guys do to protect the turret from getting bumped/spun while hunting or putting it in a case/scabbard, etc.
Is there a separate cover a guy can get, or use duct tape, etc?

Lien2

I don't think there's much you can do , or need to do.

I just carried mine for a week in WY sheep hunting , on horses, in a back pack and by hand , I had the same concern as you so I checked it often but it never moved.

I'd just keep an eye on it .

Stay Thirsty My Friends

OK......I'm a worry wart when it comes to this.
Say it DOES get turned 1/2 a turn. How do you know if you should turn it clockwise or counter clockwise to get it back to zero?
I wish Leupold would've made it so when it was screwed all the way "down" (clockwise), that was your 100 yard zero. Then you could only turn is counter clockwise to increase yardage. Whenever in doubt, you crank it clockwise till it bottomed out, now you know you are at 100 yards and you could start over.

Anyway..........did you get your sheep?!

Lien2

It should have zero stop , if it doesn't you can get the kit from Leupold and inslall it yourself. it's kind of hokie, nothing like a Nightforce set up it's just a stick on deal but it works fine. without it I can see your concern.

Yes I got a nice 10 year old ram .

Stay Thirsty My Friends

LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-15 AT 01:55PM (MST)[p]Thanks CaHunter.
The pictures won't open for me, and I really hate to start drilling into my $800 scope!
Lien2

Twice here lately, i've read of or saw a clip of blatant misses on game animals with the blame placed on the turrets inadvertently or otherwise, having been moved.

Guess i'm old school, glad it's not another thing that i have to deal with. just saying.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

If you bought the scope new the zero stop comes with it in the box. if you still have the box it might be in there and you didn't notice it.

If you don't have it just call Leupold , I bet you two bits they will send it to you free of charge their customer service is second to none. just follow the instructions it will take you 5 minutes, no tools needed.

The turrets work great, but like anything they have to be set up and used properly. 99% of the misses with a well set up turret are not the turret's fault it's the shooter . been there, done that. but I love the turret.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-15 AT 08:59PM (MST)[p]Lein- you drill a new hole in the cds dial not the actual scope. It's very easy to do and took me less than 5 minutes to setup. It's super easy and returning to zero is a no brainier.

Joey- yes people miss dial or have their turret turn on accident and it results in a miss. They blame the mishap on a mistake. This is the reason if I have a turret it will have a zero stop. Just the same as someone trying to hold over an animal with crosshairs and they make a mistake and shoot low or high. It's a mistake and a miss.

I had a pithy reply all planned out..

But it is a legitimate concern. I recommend getting a target turret, if you have a CDS, IMO they suck..

Scope makers are slow to adjust, but we are starting to see capped windage with stiff turrets. As for Leupold, a target turret with the cover,or M1 is much better than a CDS. I hate CDS, and it aint because I havent used them.

We aren't all wanting to be Quigley, we just want a better hunting set up.

Between the CDS's I have and the other half dozen CDS scopes I've seen they've all worked great for normal hunting situations. on a dedicated long range set up, maybe better move up to something for that purpose. I chose Nightforce.

My opinion, the CDS is fine for 500 to 600 yards if your gun is. prefect in fact. I can hit everything every time at those ranges from the bench or bipod from prone. in field conditions maybe not so much, but a Schmidt & Bender won't fix that.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

I've never had one move on me while hunting. I keep a Scopecoat on mine until I'm ready to use it. Don't know if that's the reason, but it can't hurt.

"You can fly a helicopter to the top of Everest and say you've been there. The problem with that is you were an a$$hole when you started and you're still an a$$hole when you get back.
Its the climb that makes you a different person". - Yvon Chouinard

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom