Leupold (VX3) 6.5x20 vs. Vortex Viper 6.5x20

arroyobuck

Which one should I get and why? Is it a no brainer(in favor of leupold)?

Scope would be used mainly for hunting on one of my "heavy" guns (~8 lb). I'm diehard Leupold, and that's what I was going to get until I read some of the posts on this web site about Vortex. Seems some people think the Vortex is the best scope around for the money. I have had very good luck with Leupolds in low light hunting conditions and wonder how the Vortex would compare. Anybody have both?

So, if price was not a factor, which would you get (out of these 2)?

Vortex viper for me, I don't think i will ever buy another leupold

The 4-16 HS model viper is a better scope for hunting

I also just bought the Vortex Viper 4-16x40 HS LR. Awesome glass. Under $500 to my door!!

If you're into yardage dials, with Leupold's CDS scopes you get two free dials, Vortex charges you $100 each.

I have the Leupold on my 22-250 and really like it. Haven't had any experience with the Vortex but I hear good things about them.

One thing to keep in mind is the kind of hunting you'll be doing. If you're gonna be hunting in the timber, the 6.5 power is a little bit much in my opinion. If you're hunting open country it will be just fine. I know that wasn't your question, just food for thought.

Leupold is long proven. For a young company, Vortex is looking good with good glass and reliable customer service. In your shoes, and money not object, go with what you will have the most confidence in. Confidence in our abilities, our equipment, and that it will come together for a shot at an animal we want makes a lot of difference in the field.

I have Swarovski, Nikon, Leupold, and Vortex glass (between binos, spotters, and rifle scopes). All that glass is well worth what I paid. My go to rifle has a Leupold. For a rifle scope, I would go with it unless I could afford a Swarovski. For a spotter, I have and would go with one of the other three.

Things I was comparing

FOV, which is very important when trying to find a buck trotting through the sage brush in low light in your scope

Lowest min power possible for the same reason, while still getting at least 12 or 14 so you can see what your doing out there a ways

Low profile capped windage turret, for scabbord use

Reticle setup to hold for wind while dialing for elevation, and also holding for elevation for close range (4-500) quick shots. BDC reticle works good for this

30mm tube

Reliable tracking, I've had a couple different leupolds that wouldn't track

IMO, leupolds end up needing their warranty more than they should

Agree with you all about hunting scopes need a low power magnification option for when you are walking. I started as a kid with a 30-30 and open sights. Killed lots of deer with it. My favorite hunting scopes are 2x7s or 2.5x8s. They are small and light and can be mounted low - the way I like it. I got this end of it covered.

I am moving some scopes around on some of my rifles and it leaves me with the need to buy a new scope. I have always wanted a high magnification set-up in case there ever is a need to reach way out and touch a yote or two. Thats the reason for the 20x.

A buddy of mine has both the VX3 model lupes and just picked up a Vortex 4-16x44 30mm LR. The scope seems to track well ( we do alot of long range rock blasting 500-1100yds) but he has said numerous times that it isn't as clear as lupes. Now having said that he said it's more than adequate for a hunting scope. I do like the reticle's windage marks comes in pretty helpful when your doping wind.

My favorite hunts are because they were with friends and family not just because "I got one".

Just a FYI, even there Mark4 line of scopes even though they are made in Oregon, use imported glass from the Pacific Rim.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom