Leupold's Custom Rifle Scope Reticle

deerfanatic

On Leopold's web-site you can order a custom reticle. It looks like you tell Leopold your ballistics and they build a reticle with range marks to those ballistics. If any one has I have a few questions.

1) On a varible scope is the reticle in the first or second plan? In other words, are the range marks specific to a power setting on the scope or do they zoom in and out with the power setting?

2) Are you happy with the accuracy on these custom scopes?

Thanks.

I do not have one personally but my dad does. I actually collected all the data and sent them off for him and shot them when they came back. They need to be on max power to work correctly, and they are suprisingly accurate. He shoots his out to 650 yards with a decent accuracy.

Personally, I went with the BDC dial instead of the reticle. You can swap em out based on what ammo you are using. Might want to think about it.

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

NMHunter, What rifle did you put yours on and what power scope? How happy are you with your setup?

>On Leopold's web-site you can order
>a custom reticle. It
>looks like you tell Leopold
>your ballistics and they build
>a reticle with range marks
>to those ballistics. If
>any one has I have
>a few questions.
>
>1) On a varible scope is
>the reticle in the first
>or second plan? In
>other words, are the range
>marks specific to a power
>setting on the scope or
>do they zoom in and
>out with the power setting?
>
>
>2) Are you happy with the
>accuracy on these custom scopes?
>
>
>Thanks.
I have one my KS Mtn Rifle in 280Rem. Its a VX3 3.5x10x40. I'm not sure about your question #1. When I dropped it off - I'm lucky I only live about 20 minutes from the factory, anyway when I dropped it off and talked with the tech that did the work he explained what they need. So, you tell them the caliber and type of ammo you plan on shooting and the grain bullet you intend to shoot and they set up the reticle for that combo. My reticle pretty much looks like their Long Range Reticle only it has an extra dot and the spaces between the dots are not exactly spaced, they are spaced for this load. I like it, it seem to hit stuff when i shoot at it - but really its the gun more than the reticle. I prefer the LR reticle more than this set-up only because when you go this route its specific to a gun & load so if you swap your scope to another gun its not right anylonger.

I have a Leupold VXII 6-18-40 with target knobs. i looked at other options like the bullet drop compensating reticles and so on and this is what i learned. there is a small triangle rather than a 14 on my scope when changing from 6 through 18 power. the 14 is the correct magnification for bullet drop compensating reticles in that power range. so im assuming if it was a 3-9 the 6 or 7 would have a triangle so on and so forth.

I opped for the target knobs because i want to be exacat at what ever range i shoot. I have program on my computer where i input my ballistic info and it tells me wind drift, bullet drop, energy, velosity, all that stuff as well as how many clicks to adjust for any range. so i printed a chart in 50yd increments with a 10mph wind and taped it to my gun stock. all i do now is range a target, click click, and them aim right on target with extreme accuracy. Leupoold also can custom engrave yardage onto new knobs for my gun with my ballistic info for 200 bucks but i like my setup.

some friends of mine have the LR reticle (long range)and the LRV reticle (Long range Varmint. they like them a lot. they are generic for several cartridges but they are pretty darn close for deer. smaller game though and it varies.

hope this helps, any other questions, email me.
[email protected]

>Oregonmuley, what is you maximum yardage
>dot?

As I recall - I really have not used this scope much and still getting the hang of it. Anyway, the crosshair is supposed to be 200, the next dot is 300, then 400, then 500. But I don't shoot much out that far, I did shoot an antelope at ranged 307 last year and I can't really tell you if the dots helped or not but I did drop him in his tracks so maybe it helps?? Kind of looks cool though:)

>NMHunter, What rifle did you put
>yours on and what power
>scope? How happy are
>you with your setup?

Sorry, i didnt see your post until now.

I have a VX-III 4.5-14x50 on top of my Weatherby Vanguard 300WSM. I really like it...so much so that I think I am going to sell my Nikon Monarch on my 270 and order another VX-III from Leopold to get the custom dials on it. It works pretty slick...site in at 100 and you are good to go. Then when hunting just range the distance, turn the dial to that distance on your scope, aim & fire.

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

I got 3 guns with the Varmint Hunters and I love them!! The crosshairs are small enough that it doesn't block your target, the 10 and 20 mph wind drift dots are awesome. It's so easy to use go to the range sight in your gun and record your velocity through a chronograph, average the velocity and plug it into one of the many ballistics calculators on the web, then get your book that come with the scope and it has MOA and Inches of drop for each section of the cross hair and it also gives you 2 different settings to choose from so that you can best fit it to your caliber. go back to the range reset your zero to correspond to the drop calculation you just figured out on the web. and then go shoot some rocks or better yet get a piece of cheap plywood and paint it white with a black dot at the top and go out and test your reticle at the 200, 300, 400 and, 500 yards. each distance shoot 3 or 4 shots then drive or walk to the target with some black paint and paint a dot by each group for the distances then go back to your bench and see if they line up with the corresponding drop of your cross hair(do this for each distance) this is a pain but it has worked on 3 of my guns. I killed a doe deer this last year at 312 yds with 23 mph(wind meter was used)I went to my 300 yd mark then over to the 20 mph dot and eased into the trigger and she dropped right where she stood.

I hope this might help.

TICK
TALL, WIDE, AND HANDSOME

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom