Lifetime license and mentoring..

pounder

With all these changes in Utah this coming year. Should lifetime tag pick a unit which is ok. but what about limits on mentoring those tags? So only the tag bearer can use and not mentor.. just thoughts. Maybe this would soothe my lifetime tags folks that we can’t mentor them as the others.

No it is not changing it just wonder if it would simmer the waters some on those that have the license and those that don’t as to see if only being used for that that the license bears.. kinda like a drivers license..

Ya!

I Don't Think They Should Be Able To Mentor A LL!:D

(((Just Checkin To See If Niller Is Payin Attention?:D)))

Trying to follow you here. So you are saying if we dont let the lifetime tag holders mentor their tags to youth, it will make non lifetime hunters more ok with the fact that lifetime tag holders have lifetime tags? All it would do is penalize youth for the sake of maybe making a lifetime hater less of a hater. Doubt it would make them less of a hater.

I wish my parents would have bought me a LL before I was born. In time, LL holders will age out of deer hunting due to age, disability, or death. My question is if mentoring will cause them to age out later than they otherwise would. I would never take away the opportunity for a grandparent to mentor a grandchildren or great grandchild. Those are tender moments under any circumstances.

The only thing I wished would change about LL tags is that there should be a cap of 10 percent per unit. If a LL holder was given 5 choices to apply for but only 10 percent of the total unit tags could go to the LL holders, they still would get a tag within those 5 choices. If they didn't get their first choice, then they get a preference point for the following year. I think something like that should work and I'd feel better about the way LL holders get their deer tags.

I've Heard they Are thinking About Getting A Committee Going To Try And Abolish LL's!

That'd Be More Than A Simmer Niller!:D

The only thing I wished would change about LL tags is that there should be a cap of 10 percent per unit. If a LL holder was given 5 choices to apply for but only 10 percent of the total unit tags could go to the LL holders, they still would get a tag within those 5 choices. If they didn't get their first choice, then they get a preference point for the following year. I think something like that should work and I'd feel better about the way LL holders get their deer tags.
Not a LL person here but what would your restriction look like in regards to units. Trying to wrap my mind around the injustice.

I know at one time Thousand Lakes was a problem but it seemed like those people finally pulled their head out.

Unfortunately this is another case of a good idea taken advantage of. Meant to have a dad or grandpa to give up their tag to a kid yo get them going. Now we have wives and grammas who have never hunted in their lives mentoring kids. Everyone gets punished for the few that take advantage of the rule. Society. 🤔🤔🤔

What is wrong with wives and grandmas mentoring a tag to their kids or grandkids?

And how is a wife or grandma doing the mentoring taking advantage of the rule?

I didn’t realize this was a boys only club.

Unfortunately this is another case of a good idea taken advantage of. Meant to have a dad or grandpa to give up their tag to a kid yo get them going. Now we have wives and grammas who have never hunted in their lives mentoring kids. Everyone gets punished for the few that take advantage of the rule. Society. 🤔🤔🤔

If we are not careful we might have to let them do things like own property and…(gasp!)…vote!

Hey Niller!

You Ain't A Granny Yet!

What is wrong with wives and grandmas mentoring a tag to their kids or grandkids?

If we are not careful we might have to let them do things like own property and…(gasp!)…vote!

Wasn’t to take away mentoring as a whole, was the point if we wanted to we could expound mentoring.. like young mentoring the old as say once in a age protected class because mentoring is sharing knowledge and skills and not an age base.. can mentoring program get a look at… dedicated get a look at… etc all the programs again. If we can look at all the programs and hunt dates. I do like the age range of the members here and the hundreds of years of knowledge from everyone.. I know the subject is like say archery folks as fixed not fixed, muzzle in line not in line and rifle folks long range close range folks or those that like to push trucks fords or Chevy folks etc..

I have a Lifetime fishing license.
Can I mentor that days fishing day to a grandson as long as I don’t hold a fishing rod that day with him?

There is nothing wrong with moms and grammas mentoring. My wife hunts. There is something wrong with people obtaining licenses, who have never and will never hunt, so the tag can just be given away.

That’s a better clarification, but I still disagree.

I have no issue with it so long as the rules for mentoring are followed. That means mom or grandma, whether they are wanting to hunt or not, are out in the field with their kids and grandkids spending quality time together.

We need more of this in society, not less of it.

Family time beats anything.

That’s a better clarification, but I still disagree.

I have no issue with it so long as the rules for mentoring are followed. That means mom or grandma, whether they are wanting to hunt or not, are out in the field with their kids and grandkids spending quality time together.

We need more of this in society, not less of it.

Family time beats anything.
I don’t disagree. I still don’t think that was the intention of the rule though.

Probably not the intent, but definitely allowed within the rule. And this became apparent immediately and they didn’t do anything to curb it, but actually expanded the mentoring rule. That tells me the powers that be are very fine with it.

I’ve only ever mentored 1 tag, and it was this last year to my daughter utilizing the trial hunter program. She now wants to take hunter safety. I’d say both programs worked as they were supposed to in my house.

Lets all be 100% real here.

We had a grandpa mentor his grandson on a LE elk hunt a few years ago. Grandpa was 77. Grandson was 16. Grandpa was given the chance several times to get a bull, since we all knew it was his last time. But we realized REAL FAST getting Grandpa or the grandson a bull would be a tall order since grandpa could not get very far off the road. Like 100-200 yards at most. It turned into a road hunt for elk. We did it. But was tough. But how many times do the kids take the gun and go? We had a 360+ bull spotted about 1000 yards off the road. Grandpa said go and do it, Ill watch from here. We said NO WAY! Thats not how it works. On day 5, we found a small bull off the road and made it happen.

My point is, do people really follow that mentoring rule? Do they really have the Mentor within voice (NOT RADIOS) of the youth? It was tough for us. Road hunting is about all most can do.

Nothing to Do With a LL Or Mentor Job!

But Do you Guys Remember Several Years Ago When The Son Put His 93 Old Mother In For A TIMP Goat Tag & She Drew It?

Cracks Me Up!:D

And Niller I Do Believe She Was Considered A GRANNY!:D

This is my only beef with the LL tags.

They bought them fair and square. As long as mentoring is allowed I see no reason to stop LL holders from mentoring as well.

Well Niller!

You're Probably Too Young To Know HounDawg!

He Told The Story & It Was Funny!:D

I’m sure there are some 93 year olds that could hike me into the ground, but I’d sure like to see that 93 year old in goat country.

That would be darn impressive!

Not a LL person here but what would your restriction look like in regards to units. Trying to wrap my mind around the injustice.

I know at one time Thousand Lakes was a problem but it seemed like those people finally pulled their head out.
A simple 10 percent cap would ensure that a " thousand lakes" wouldn't repeat itself. Especially if some of these new ideas of restrictions on certain units start to happen and then those units become a bigger draw for quality bucks.

When I’m done screwing up whiff’s archery hunt for a few years by unseriously walking around the hills during his hunt on his unit, then I’ll come up to the SS to shoot a few 2 points just for you! My next decade of hunt strategy is mapped out pretty well here.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom