Lifetime license permit numbers

hunt30

So from 2014-2021 the # of eligible applicants for lifetime license holders for general deer permits has remained fairly steady. These are the only years for which the data is readily available. In fact, 2021 has the most eligible applicants. Seeing as most lifetime license holders should be in their 40’s by now, and many much older, shouldn’t there have been some attrition over these 8 years? Shouldn’t we be getting to the point where 3-5% a year are riding off into the sunset? Anyone know why the number of eligible applicants hasn’t changed?

Lifetime license eligible applicants by year

2021- 3651 applicants
2020- 3561 applicants
2019- 3582 applicants
2018- 3608 applicants
2017- 3614 applicants
2016- 3627 applicants
2015- 3589 applicants
2014- 3610 applicants

So from 2014-2021 the # of eligible applicants for lifetime license holders for general deer permits has remained fairly steady. These are the only years for which the data is readily available. In fact, 2021 has the most eligible applicants. Seeing as most lifetime license holders should be in their 40’s by now, and many much older, shouldn’t there have been some attrition over these 8 years? Shouldn’t we be getting to the point where 3-5% a year are riding off into the sunset? Anyone know why the number of eligible applicants hasn’t changed?

2021- 3651 applicants
2020- 3561 applicants
2019- 3582 applicants
2018- 3608 applicants
2017- 3614 applicants
2016- 3627 applicants
2015- 3589 applicants
2014- 3610 applicants
I wonder if they even have a process in place to know who has passed. I doubt they check or would even have the resources to check. I don’t know how the system works. Do they kick you out if you don’t apply for a tag each year or for several years in a row?

2021- 3651 applicants
2020- 3561 applicants
2019- 3582 applicants
2018- 3608 applicants
2017- 3614 applicants
2016- 3627 applicants
2015- 3589 applicants
2014- 3610 applicants
Obviously they haven’t “ridden off into the sunset”. Pretty petty to be wishing guys off “into the sunset” so there’s a couple extra tags available for you!!

Knowing the number of eligible applicants who bought for tags would help explain the high number of non-residents plates that people are seeing in the field since their tags come out of the resident tag pool.

Do lifetime license applicants show up in the count you're using if they do the dedicated hunter program instead of using the lifetime license?

Maybe we're all getting too old to draw a bow? Or maybe the hunting is just so poor in comparison to other options we have available that we don't do dedicated hunter program like we once did. I'm in that boat, I jumped out of the dedicated hunter program a few years back so the number of lifetime license applicants probably went up by one that year when I began taking it.

I don't think I chose my lifetime license for the first 15 years or so that I had that option. I was in the dedicated hunter program from the beginning and chose that option each year instead of my lifetime license.

Pretty sure even with a LL you have to apply for the unit you want to hunt. Thus the applicant number.

That may or may not be the number of LL holders that are still alive.

I would imagine that many lifetime license holders "applicants" are deceased but are still sent tags. If we're satisfied with the license we had the previous year, they automatically send the same one, without us needing to do anything. So, if someone were to die, that would equate to doing nothing, and a tag would be sent, and that could go on for who knows how long. So the number of lifetime license "applicants" probably isn't real accurate. The only way it could be accurate is if we were forced to do the questionaire every year.

If we want to change the hunt choice, weapon type, or apply for the dedicated hunter program, we need to do our questionaire.

If we apply for the dedicated hunter program and not draw, we get the license we request in the questionaire. If we do draw the DH program, then we don't get a lifetime license tag. That might also play into the "applicant" numbers hunt30 quoted.

I’m not sure how the system works. There is a difference between the number of eligible applicants and the number of permits given of appropriately 50 each year. I assumed this was due to people occasionally drawing limited entry or DH deer. But once again, not really sure.

Obviously they haven’t “ridden off into the sunset”. Pretty petty to be wishing guys off “into the sunset” so there’s a couple extra tags available for you!!
I’m not to worried about how quickly the guys die off to get a couple of extra tags for me. I have several more hunts available to me each fall than I can possibly go on. Just thought it was curious and was hoping someone could provide a logical explanation.

Do lifetime license applicants show up in the count you're using if they do the dedicated hunter program instead of using the lifetime license?

Maybe we're all getting too old to draw a bow? Or maybe the hunting is just so poor in comparison to other options we have available that we don't do dedicated hunter program like we once did. I'm in that boat, I jumped out of the dedicated hunter program a few years back so the number of lifetime license applicants probably went up by one that year when I began taking it.

I don't think I chose my lifetime license for the first 15 years or so that I had that option. I was in the dedicated hunter program from the beginning and chose that option each year instead of my lifetime license.

Funny. I have too.

Mostly for some stupid reason in my head about wanting to carry a gun while I'm out wandering around.

I consider the cost a camping permit, and the hours my give back.

The lest than 1deer per 3 year average I maintain, is pretty sad

Last Updated: Thursday, October 14, 2021, 9:54 am

Lifetime fishing and hunting licenses​

Lifetime licenses initially became available on March 28, 1984. A lifetime license holder can fish and hunt in Utah without having to purchase an annual hunting, fishing or combination license. Additionally, upon completing an annual questionnaire, lifetime license holders also receive a general-season deer permit at no additional charge.
The Utah Division of Wildlife Resources stopped issuing lifetime licenses in 1994.

Back when they stopped selling them I think there were almost 5000 issued since the beginning. My little brother was in California on active duty. He claimed Ut residency and had to fight for his. A couple of months past the sales cut off he got his. The number is close to 5000.

This is Utah we are talking about, nothing is too petty if it means someone getting to shoot another forkie

Check the number over the next 8 years. I'd bet IF the F&G has a handle on things the numbers will drop.

Zeke

I would imagine that many lifetime license holders "applicants" are deceased but are still sent tags. If we're satisfied with the license we had the previous year, they automatically send the same one, without us needing to do anything. So, if someone were to die, that would equate to doing nothing, and a tag would be sent, and that could go on for who knows how long. So the number of lifetime license "applicants" probably isn't real accurate. The only way it could be accurate is if we were forced to do the questionaire every year.

If we want to change the hunt choice, weapon type, or apply for the dedicated hunter program, we need to do our questionaire.

Founder, you sure you’ve got a tag recently? We used to not have to fill out the question are if things remained the same. I have to apply every year now if I want the tag. It’s been that way for several years.

I'm really surprised the SFW trash haven't asked for a couple dozen Lifetime licenses a year to auction off. You know, to help the deer herd.

I'm really surprised the SFW trash haven't asked for a couple dozen Lifetime licenses a year to auction off. You know, to help the deer herd.

Only guys who would bid for it are us OTC losers. $fw is for 5 digit plus peaydays, those licenses are to pedestrian for them.

Just Got Word That they Are Doing Away With All Life-Timers!

Just For You Niller!:D

You misunderstood. They are not doing away with the license, they are doing away with the restrictions on the license. Starting in 2023 I’ll be able to kill as many deer as I want statewide. They are using LL holders as an option to cull deer because of CWD. Man, the $500 investment is really starting to pay off! I hear the Book Cliffs and S Slope are a good place to start this cull project. I can’t wait!

You misunderstood. They are not doing away with the license, they are doing away with the restrictions on the license. Starting in 2023 I’ll be able to kill as many deer as I want statewide. They are using LL holders as an option to cull deer because of CWD. Man, the $500 investment is really starting to pay off! I hear the Book Cliffs and S Slope are a good place to start this cull project. I can’t wait!
You know, someone is actually going to believe that.

Founder, you sure you’ve got a tag recently? We used to not have to fill out the question are if things remained the same. I have to apply every year now if I want the tag. It’s been that way for several years.
I’ve been doing the questionnaire the past couple years to change units, so maybe there has been a change. I thought they they still just sent the same tag. You’re probably right. The email I was looking at that said nothing needed to be done if you wanted the same tag was from 2019.

When You Get Your Trophies Culled That You Think are Out There Niller!

Please Do Post The Pics!

FYFI!

The Culling Started Many Years Ago!

Cull Them All!

Get Them Social Media Pics Posted Niller!

When You Get Your Trophies Culled That You Think are Out There Niller!

Please Do Post The Pics!

FYFI!

The Culling Started Many Years Ago!

Cull Them All!

Get Them Social Media Pics Posted Niller!

I’m shooting a barely legal spike fawn with milk still on the lip next year in your honor, bessy. It’s going to be Instagram worthy, for sure!

Back on topic, if I could get any deer tag in Utah in 2022 I think it would be a Henry Mtns rifle tag. Not because I think it’s the best hunt, necessarily, but because it would be fun to hunt there. And I’m 100% certain that if I couldn’t find a deer I was happy with that it would be my own fault.

I’ve experienced the Pauns, it was awesome and it would be a dream to hunt there again. But it would be a great experience all around to hunt the Henry Mtns.

How recent Have You Spent Any Time on the Henry's Niller?

I’m shooting a barely legal spike fawn with milk still on the lip next year in your honor, bessy. It’s going to be Instagram worthy, for sure!

Back on topic, if I could get any deer tag in Utah in 2022 I think it would be a Henry Mtns rifle tag. Not because I think it’s the best hunt, necessarily, but because it would be fun to hunt there. And I’m 100% certain that if I couldn’t find a deer I was happy with that it would be my own fault.

I’ve experienced the Pauns, it was awesome and it would be a dream to hunt there again. But it would be a great experience all around to hunt the Henry Mtns.

How recent Have You Spent Any Time on the Henry's Niller?
Never stepped foot on the unit, to be totally honest. But my definition of a great experience is not measured in inches, so even if it is down from its "best unit in the world" status, I'm confident I can have a very good experience there, and walk away happy.

Well Niller!

Just Think!

When You Draw That Henry's Tag!

You Can Get On MM Here And Ask:

I Just Drawed My Henry's Deer Tag!

Can Somebody Tell Me How To Get To Hanksville?

Not Asking for Much!

But Has Anybody Got Coordinates To a 240"+ Buck They'd Be Willing To Share?

I'm Not Asking for Any Honey-Holes!

I Plan On Making My First Trip Down the Night Before Season!

Get Your Hiking Boots on Niller!

You're Gonna Need Them!

The Henry Mountains Are a Cool Mountain Range!

Don't Ever Under-Estimate Mother Nature Though!

The ruggedness and remoteness of that place is part of the allure for me. It would be a great experience!

And I’d definitely be asking for someone’s honey holes. I have no shame.

You Mean What Use To Be Honey Holes?

HAPPY NEW YEAR Niller!

I Hope You Get Your 2022 Henry's Tag!

The ruggedness and remoteness of that place is part of the allure for me. It would be a great experience!

And I’d definitely be asking for someone’s honey holes. I have no shame.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom