light rifle

ridenmuley

I am looking for a new lightweight rifle that is easy to pack on long, highmountain, backpacking trips. I will mainly use the gun for deer and antelope but hope to someday use it on mt goats and sheep. Ii have several rifles in the .30 cal range and am looking for something lighter that shoots flat, fast and can reach out. I've been looking at 270wsm, 270, 25-06 and 257 but leaning towards 270wsm. Any suggestions or opinions appreciated. Thanks

It really depends on how much you want to spend. I would love a Browning Titanium. They weigh 5.8 lbs. They are a good lookin rifle, but they are pricey. I like the Tikka T3 also. They are much cheaper, but have a good feel to them. Out of the calibers mentioned I would go with the 270 or 25-06. I am sure someone will tell you that you need a 30 cal.:)

What's your price range? there are a few semi customs that are lighter than anything the factory offers and shoot better than most anything the factory offers. but they aren't cheap.

I was gonna say a Sako 85 in SS. But you won't find one for 800. I've seen em for $1000. A few perks with this rifle are an adjustable trigger and rings, so that saves some money.

Any of the calibers you mentioned will work. If elk are in the future then lean towards the 270. You might also check the price of the WSM ammo if you don't reload. SPENDY.

It might cost a few bucks more but I'd go with the Kimber Montana then. I don't know why kimber gets the bad press here but the one I own and the 3 others that I've been around shot great, the one Tikka I saw at my range was an average shooter at best. I guess they're ok but the kimber is a much better rifle in my opinion.

I too would go with a Kimber...and to me, the perfect choice as described would be that .270WSM.

There are a few other light weight guns available. That Browning Ti is always worth consideration as is Remington's. Looking to save ounces, a short action is bit faster and definitely lighter. The 270WSM is a very good cartridge capable of bigger Magnum size ballistics in a short efficient case with IMO, mild to reasonable recoil. You go that way ,you won't regret it.

Cost of ammo. Always a concern yet at $2. a pop that can be $2. per Elk, Buck, Pig,...what have you. Hunting big game usually is not a cheap affair. Why then get cheap on maybe THE most important item in the hunt, the Bullet that has a job to do. Poor bullets can have poor performance. As always, shot placement is the key!

You can probably pick up a used Kimber Montana for $800. Keep watching the various internet boards.

I was in the same boat a few years ago... I wanted a lightwieght rifle for Backpacking and For horseback...I went w/ a Tikka T3 lightweight in 270 WSM.....I am verry happy w/ the rifle....I think it is one of the best for the money..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

www.gunbroker.com
www.gunsamerica.com
www.auctionarms.com

I would suggest using personal checks or money orders. It may be slower and some dealers might not take those payment methods; but if they don't trust you enough for a check/money order, then I don't trust them enough to buy a gun from them.

PayPal is a large contributor to anti-hunting and animal rights groups...FYI

...And any of the guns mentioned above would do quite nicely!!! Good luck!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom