light-weight packing rifle?

robinsg61le

I'd like to find a light-weight (6.5 lbs. or less) packing rifle that is affordable. (hopefully under $1000) I'm somewhat open to different calibers... (.300 wsm, .270 wsm, .300 RUM, .30-378, or other?) I prefer a stainless barrell with a synthetic stock. Anyone have any suggestions?

I was looking for the same thing a few years ago...I ended up getting a Tikka T3 in 270 WSM...Great gun that packs well and shoots great....

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

There's countless options, money usually decides. Pick your price range and go from there. Under a grand your kind of limited, I have a tikka t-3 in .308 which sells for about 600. With factory rings, a leupold 2-7-33, a full mag and a neopreme sling she weighs 7.8 lbs. You cant get much lighter than that for under a grand, even though all tikka actions are the same length if you go in a wsm cal the rifle will come with a 2" longer barrel and weigh even more. Your next option price wise would be a Kimber. Lighter than the Tikka and comparable to the rem-ti and browning-ti for weight. At about $1100 I think its the best deal as far as the price to weight ratio goes. The rem-ti and browning-ti are nice but I dont think the $1600 + price tags are worth it. If you have a old model 700 rem laying around you could possibly upgrade it to a lighter weight by buying a McMillan or Bansner stock, talley lightweight rings, and a ultralight leupold scope. If its a short action your goal weight is very do-able, even in a long action you'd probably be under 8lbs all-up. I'm a backpack hunter so I'm obsesed weight, its addicting.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

It should also be said that the new remington "alaskan ti" is a real dissapointment. With the heavier barrel they have added almost 3/4 of a pound to the gun making it a 6 1/2 lb rifle in the LA. That plus the increased price of $2000+ makes it a joke. The origional rem-ti weighed 5 3/4 lbs and was more of a true lightweight. Many A 6 1/2 lb guns out there that shoot well and look good for a helluva lot less $.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom