Lightweight scope advice needed

Ltsheets

Very Active Member
So I have a 300wsm that was just built for me and though it has great glass on it right now (Meopta Meostar), I'm trying to drop the weight of the package by getting a lighter scope. I'm a little torn between a Swaro Z3, a Leupold VX3, or maybe a zeiss conquest HD5 though it's a few ounces heavier than the first 2. I'm leaning towards just going with a 2-10 zoom to save on the weight though I'm tempted to stick with a 4-12. What do you guys think and do you think that 10x is plenty for hunting deer and bigger with this gun out to about 500yds? Thanks in advance.

Have you had any issues with the turret moving on you while being carried in a pack or just carried while hunting?

Go with whatever you want but 10X is PLENTY for deer and elk size hunting to ranges well beyond 500 yards!
I hunted for years with a 6x Leupold on a couple of my light rifles. Never felt like I couldn't make the shot because of the 6 power and the weight savings was noticeable.

Just my 2 cents,
Zeke

You have picked some very good scopes to chose from. The Z3 is a good scope, as is the VX3. A power range of 3.5-10X would do just about anything most guys could imagine. For deer sized game and larger 10X should be plenty of power.

You did not mention this but I don't see the need for 50mm objective lens. Heavier scopes that need higher rings are not usually my choice.

I picked up a Zeiss Conquest R6 3.5x10x44,made for 30-06&300WM.
Replaced an old Leupold Rifleman 3x9x50mm.
Way lighter and compact.
Night and day difference in viewing needless to say. Mine is 600yrd reticle,they make a 800 too.
Picked out a cow @ first light/300yrds like it was lit up.

I had a Zeiss on my lightweight 300wsm sheep rifle. It did not have a zero stop which I found out can be a major problem when you pull it out of a rifle scabbard and have no idea which direction to turn the turret to get back to zero. I replaced the Zeiss with a Swarovski Z5 3-18 with a ballistic turret which has a zero stop. I don't carry a spotter now, since the rifle scope on 18 power is pretty much the same as my spotter on 20 power, where I usually use the spotting scope. So, this saves packing the weight of the spotter and tripod.

First thing, it sounds like budget is not much of a consideration, which is good if light is important.

If 500yds is your max range, then you have a few options on how best to compensate that will still be more than sufficient.

I have and do use the z-600 reticle from Zeiss on their Conquest line, which I like very much. All balistic reticles are made for a particular trajectory profile. At ranges up to 500 yards, there is a lot of flexibility to being within an inch or two for drop, which is fine in the field. This reticle is basically set up for a bullet bc of .4-.5 at between 2800-3000fps. The trick is that the more you change the curve of that trajectory, be it flatter or more curved, focus on being on at the longer range for drop. The z-800 is meant for Ultra Mag type trajectories(not just longer range), and the z-1000 is actually meant for .308 based trajectory, which is much more curved. I believe the Z-600 would best fit your caliber. I have been very happy with the optical quality of my Conquests.

I believe you should pay as much attention to how you can accurately adjust for wind as a sheep hunter. Your caliber in many populary bullets can see 16-18 inches of wind drift in just 10mph, which would be common in sheep country. The Zeiss reticles have this built in as well, based on that same typical ballistic profile. Here you can't cheat, so I suggest seeing how close to your trajectory the reticle is and judge if they are useful. Not sure Swaro or Leupold even has a reticle for this, which is a shame in my opinion. Here is where Vortex shines, but their scopes are heavy.

Good luck.

Hard to beat the 1" Swarovski with a turret for quality and weight. but I'm not sure a Leupold VX-3 with CDS isn't about as good for less coin.

I like the european optics and swore by them for years but I have had such great luck with Leuopld and it's CDS I just keep buying them.

Stay thirsty my friends

http://www.sportoptics.com/SpecSheets/4WReticleInstructions_7.8.11.pdf

The Swaro BT 4W reticle has MOA windage Adjustments.

Where the Swaro will beat the Leupold (I own both) is in the first and last 15 minutes of shooting light and in definition at range.

We did a test at 300 yards with tan steel on a bush during the last 15 minutes of light.

There was no comparison, side by side from the same station and 4.5x14 couldn't make out the steel where the z5 could. (had 4 shooters who all agreed)

Interesting point about the Z5 3-18 kind of replacing a spotter in some circumstances. I would agree with you if it's being used for judging an animal you've already spotted with binos but might still need the spotter when it's being used for glasses. This scope is probably my most wanted for the new rifle but might have to save for it or find a great deal on one.

Using your rifle scope as a spotter is not even close to a good idea . I cant count how many times I've been glassing with bino's only to spot another hunter glassing me with his rifle scope ! Staring down the barrel of a rifle is a pretty unnerving experience . Rifle scopes are for shooting , bino's and spotting scopes are for glassing .

LAST EDITED ON May-28-15 AT 10:38AM (MST)[p]Just got my Z5 3.5-18x Swaro.

Optical perfection, 1st scope I've had with a Parallax adjustment. I'm not sure how a scope could be better...

I'm also putting it on a 300WSM. A customized Win mod70,Hill Country rifle did the work about 8 years ago making it a sub MOA gun.

>
>Just got my Z5 3.5-18x Swaro.
>
>
>Optical perfection, 1st scope I've had
>with a Parallax adjustment.
>I'm not sure how a
>scope could be better...
>

Bill,
It's because they just don't come much better!
Well done,
Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom