Likely Tables- Period 2 Success

highsierra

LAST EDITED ON Sep-08-17 AT 04:04PM (MST)[p] After 34 years of applying, I was fortunate enough to finally draw my California pronghorn tag. Lucky for me I had been on this hunt seven times previously with other good friends. Utilizing the knowledge I gained from previous hunts, I formulated a game plan and began scouting several days before the season. Numerous good bucks were located, but I couldn't find that one great big cranker I had so hoped for. Opening day came and went with not much change. Still nothing but your basic run-of-the-mill bucks in the 10 to 12 inch class with little mass and short prongs. Even the herd bucks I was glassing with does were nothing special. Could it be that the better bucks in the area had either been taken or spooked off by the period-one hunters?

75655img0518.jpg

I stuck with my plan and continued the long journey every morning out to some high glassing points that overlooked a large area in Devils Garden that I had found some big bucks in the past. Three years ago, while helping a friend with the tag, we witnessed another hunter shoot a buck we have been watching for three hours that eventually scored 87 B&C.

Here's a photo of that monster:

79031img5024.jpg

I had high hopes of locating a buck in this class? But it was not to be. I did see several bucks in the 14 to 15 inch class, but they had little mass, and short prongs. They also lacked the large tell-tale black patches on the cheeks and muzzle areas, indicating that they were relatively young. I wanted something old. These guys simply wouldn't do.

38985img5135.png

After looking over upwards of 30 different bucks, I finally settled on one I knew I would be happy with. He's old and gnarly. Not as much length as I'd hoped for, but he makes up for it with character and mass. The stalk that we made was nothing less than epic. We covered over 2 miles to finally put ourselves in a position where we were surrounded by several other bucks that passed within 50 yards of us.

When the buck I had targeted chose to follow, I quickly got ready for the shot and when he turned broadside, it was over quickly. The shot was a mere 110 yards?not the typical long distant shot you would expect in such barron terrain. Although he isn't that grand monster that I had hoped for, I gotta say I am still mighty pleased with the outcome. Sharing this hunt with my younger brother, who still has max points and hasn't drawn yet, as well as one of my other good friends made it that much more special. I hope my brother drives the tag soon so that I can get back out there again!

78936fullsizerender10.jpg

19857fullsizerender23.jpg

83263img0540.jpg

Speed goats are fun as hell and waiting for turn in California made it pretty sweet no doubt. Congrats on being able to do it with family too.

Nice buck I have been putting in for 37 years and still no tag so there is hope.

Great buck nice story to go along with it.

I have max points in deer elk antelope sheep in California and haven't had one tag here in 15 years

When you draw shoot me a message? I would be happy to help you out in anyway I can. I have spent a lot of time, probably more than most, chasing the great California speed goat!

HS

Congrats's on a nice buck.... the time waiting makes it that much sweeter,
do you think the antelope numbers were up or down compared to other years you've hunted?

Congrats that's would a buck I would be proud of ! What did he end up scoring ? If I ever draw you are welcome to come give me a hand seems your familiar with the area and good a judging antelope better then I, but being one under max I'm sure it will be a while . Congrats again on a great lope !

LAST EDITED ON Sep-10-17 AT 09:35AM (MST)[p] From what I saw over my four days of scouting this year and numerous days in the past is that the population, at least in the main areas I look, has been on a steady decline. This could be due to many reasons , such as the drought, increased predator numbers, etc. But, the one factor that I think has changed the most over the years is the presence of wild mustangs. The pronghorn appear to not be very tolerant of them. You just don't see them in close proximity to the horses? Especially around some of the more remote, small water sources. Maybe this has caused the pronghorn to disburse more, or, put enough stress on them that it is affected their overall health and thus their population density.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-10-17 AT 09:41AM (MST)[p] Thanks for the kind words. I didn't score him and now his head is in the possession of my taxidermist. Maybe when I get them back I'll do a rough score. I'm guessing he's mid to low 70s. Again, nothing spectacular but still beautiful in his own right.

Please contact me if you ever draw. As I've stated earlier, I've been on this hunt many times with others and have put in quite a bit of scouting days over the years. I also have a couple of strategies that my friends and I have developed over the years that seem to increase our odds of success. Not going to share online, but would be happy to demonstrate in person!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-10-17 AT 06:47PM (MST)[p] If you have max points for pronghorn you should draw in the next few years. Shoot me a message when you do, I'd love the opportunity to help a fellow hunter out.

Interesting.....I too felt like the numbers were down and it could be they were spread out because the abundance of water hard to say for sure, congrats on your buck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom