Limb Driven Fall-Aways

M

MtnManCH

So I know VaporTrail makes or made some of the first serious Limb driven rests and Trophy Taker can do the same thing with their Smack Down rest now. I have just ordered one of the New Smack Downs because not only do they have a new Slick Look but I am anxious to tie it on my Matrix. I've done a little research online and watched some slow motion vids and kinda like the concept of the arrow being supported about 70% of the shaft length until the rest is pulled down, But I listened to a Limb Driver some guy had on his bow the other day and could tell it was really noisy.

So I was wondering if any of you guys have had any experience with these and could tell me some Pros and Cons or just some opinions!

I have the TT Smackdown and it has been a fantastic rest. Very easy to set up and it's bulletproof. I have never noticed any noise at all.

I have the G5 Expert Pro limb driven on my new Prime bow. It is very quiet and seems to work well. I haven't put many arrows through it yet, but it is doing great so far.

}}-SLIVER-->

I have shot the original Limb Driver for 4 years now and have never had any trouble on getting excellent arrow flight. It shot really well. Now I just put one of their Pro-V rests on my new Insanity and it shoot awesome too! I am sold on Vaportrail rests. I have have messed with some smack down rests and they seem solid as well but I prefer the Vaportrail...

Ive been able to set up and install about every limb driven rest available. Vapor Trail, TT Smack Down, Mathews Downforce, G5 Expert Pro ... They all work really well.

Personally I use the G5 Expert Pro. Love it. Easy to set up and shoots great.

Mathews Z7
Easton FMJ 340
Sure Loc Single pin
TEAM RAMROD

I love these style of rests. Easy to set up. Longer arrow support and rarely is contact a concern. Best of all, since they are not attached to the cable of your bow, there is no negative effect to cam timing.

But I think there is a serious edge to the Limbdriver and the AAE Pro Drop that diferentiates them from the others... spring steel.

On those two, the launcher is made of spring steel. This makes them inherently more forgiving. I saw a slow motion video and it was remarkable how much bouncing an arrow did when shot on a stiff launcher. With spring steel it gives with the arrow and the launch is much smoother. This is also the reason why top target archers shoot spring steel lizard tongue rests. I feel like it makes a difference.

I shoot a limbdriver and really like it.
I do have to say that I have had the set screws come loose 3 times this past year. I had to finally send it back to Vapor Trail for them to look at it. After 5 weeks and a phone call it came back. So far its working properly, but just one more failure, and its going in the trash. I still believe its a very good rest, I just think I may have gotten a lemon.
Its hard to find a bad review on this particular rest too.

Over all the theory of limb driven rests are better than cable driven rests IMO.

I have a limb driver rest on my Invasion too thanks to some recommendations from BigPig. I love the rest. I initially had some issues I wasn?t aware of and missed a deer because of something I didnt see.

This is just some FYI for a heads up only, it is not a complaint. After initially having my pro shop set up the bow with the limb driver rest I was and am very impressed with it. I shot it every night up until the hunt. At that time I put on my tight spot quiver. I had not shot my bow with the quiver on. When I missed the deer way low and under it with what should have been a chip shot I started looking things over to find that my string to the limb driver was being interfered with the quiver. I never saw that. As a result the string would not go lax enough to let the rest come up fully. I reversed the dove tail on the tight spot quiver and it was enough to clear the string and resolve the issue.

Only other thing I question on this design is how long will the spring last. It is in a pre-wound position unlike other drop always rests. It stays in that position at all times until the bow is drawn back releasing the tension on the string. We have torque wrenches here at work. You must reduce the torque to zero after use to keep the spring from getting weak. I know this isn't near that critical but I still wonder if after time the spring will weaken. Just my thoughts.

GBA

I have shot the Limb Driver for the past few years and overall I like it. It did fall on a side hill during a snow storm and knocked it out and had another that just would not stay tight. But, overall it is a good design that does not negatively impact the timing of your bow.

Take a look at a "Hamskea, VersaRest" its awesome, super easy to use and adjust. It comes configured for either a top or bottom limb acutation. Very impressed.

muleyczy

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom