Line item from Bailout bill

NeMont

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Jan-28-09 AT 03:54PM (MST)[p]Just for fun:

digital-to-analog converter box program

Notwithstanding any other provision of law, and in addition to amounts otherwise provided in any other Act, for costs associated with the Digital-to-Analog Converter Box Program, $650,000,000, to be available until September 30, 2009: Provided, That these funds shall be available for coupons and related activities, including but not limited to education, consumer support and outreach, as deemed appropriate and necessary to ensure a timely conversion of analog to digital television.

Perhaps it is chicken feed, I am still trying to figure out how this is going to stimulate the economy.

$650 million would be enough to pay 14,444 people an average salary of $45,000 per year.

This line item should be the Couch Potatoes Stimulus payment.

Nemont

LAST EDITED ON Jan-28-09 AT 03:39PM (MST)[p]hell, that aint chicken feed, it's also important but likely one of those "extra" things that's been thrown in, however, that's a lot of TV's and a lot of people who wont be watching and who therefore wont see the news or know that they should buy frosted flakes and brat dolls.

I'm pretty sure it's a national security issue as well. How it stimulates jobs well, i guess someone has to do all the educating and program support. strange place for that kind of spending though.

What gets me is that there's going to be a lot of this kinda stuff in there, it's no one's fault it is what it is, that's why there's legislative review and negotiations.

let the system work. . .

I know that alot will be stripped out, reworded and more language added in conference committee. I just think it is funny that the majority of people never even bother to read what is in a proposed bill.

Go look at some of the lines and it is either the funniest thing or the saddest commentary on our political and economic priorities.

You suppose we can get all the pork we want for rebuilding the St. Mary's canal and the Fort Peck Rural water system? That is only about $350 million or so total.

Nemont

LAST EDITED ON Jan-28-09 AT 03:47PM (MST)[p]T,
How about these items for NASA?

What exactly does aeronautics encompass? Anyway the wish list included $150,000,000 for aeronautics and a total of a cool $600,000,000 for NASA's part of helping revive our economy.

Subtitle C--Science

NATIONAL AERONAUTICS AND SPACE ADMINISTRATION

science

For an additional amount for 'Science', $400,000,000, of which not less than $250,000,000 shall be solely for accelerating the development of the tier 1 set of Earth science climate research missions recommended by the National Academies Decadal Survey.

aeronautics

For an additional amount for 'Aeronautics', $150,000,000.

cross agency support programs

For an additional amount for 'Cross Agency Support Programs', for necessary expenses for restoration and mitigation of National Aeronautics and Space Administration owned infrastructure and facilities related to the consequences of hurricanes, floods, and other natural disasters occurring during 2008 for which the President declared a major disaster under title IV of the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act of 1974, $50,000,000.

nemont, i know youre not talking to me when you say go read the bill, I advocate it all the time on this site because about 99% of the time no one bothers to read the bill or the law but they all have opinions about it. so thanks for the reminder.

I'm pretty sure this stimulus package, as written wont to much to get people back to work and save the economy. . .

T,
No I wasn't talking to you about going to read the actual bill.

I was stating the same thing you were. Many opinions without ever reading the actual language.

Nemont

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom