Lion Hunters!!!!!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-02-06 AT 09:04AM (MST)[p]quick draw,
Congrats on the tag. what unit is the tag for. What caliber of gun just depends on how you will be persuing it. Im guessing you will be using dogs. There are several calibers that work well. I have taken several lions with just a .22LR. You refered to a handgun. Is a rifle out of the question. they are a little awkward at times jumping off and climbing up ledges and can get heavy at time but in my oppinion they are of great value. I would have to say with a pistol take a 22mag and in rifle a 223 works great.

Trent Holliday

whatever you feel comfortable with....I have tried the pistol route and have settled on a new england arms 243...at about 4 1/2 pounds and 35 inches long you rarely know that you are packing it..

I have video of a guy shooting a big tom out of the top of a pine tree with a .22 pistol. He hit it in the lungs and that was all she wrote. It took a minute bouncing down through the branches but it was dead when it hit the ground.

Many a lion has been downed with just a regular .22 pistol with one shot. But I also know of one that was shot about 4 times with a .357 mag.

It ain't so much about what you're shooting as where you hit 'em. Hit 'em through the heart or lungs and it won't matter what you're shooting.

I would use a 22. Hardly any hide damage. If you make a good shot in the lungs it will be dead pretty quick.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-03-06 AT 01:16PM (MST)[p]A few years ago I shot a deer though at least one lung and it ran over 500 yards on fairly level ground (270 150 grain). Based on that I just assumed all lung shots take some time to be effective? According to above, a lung shot can take immediate affect. Do you guys think my experience was the exception or the rule?

I know you asked for a handgun caliber , but in my mind the very best bullet/caliber for cats is the old 30-30... I'll be carrying mine come December and snows on the ground....

You better check the regs, in some states you are only allowed to use center fire cartridges.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom