Lion Kill - Northwest Colo

LuckyHntr

LAST EDITED ON Aug-18-15 AT 10:31PM (MST)[p]Right off side of road, ravens and one magpie all that were left. Looks pretty fresh and all ate up! Younger buck, judging by hoof size, not a bad rack!

3676img1124resize.jpg

curious how you determined it was a lion kill? looks like that rack has some decent mass to him.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I think that looks like a really nice buck. Lions take a lot of deer, way too many to suit me. When we were out in 2013, there was snow in the 3rd season and we were surprised how many lion and bear tracks we saw and I'm sure they impacted the hunting. However, we were also surprised by the scarcity of coyotes compared to previous trips.

I do not know for certain. You yourself made the observation that the rack had decent mass. It was a decent rack, one that a healthy animal would grow. So, I assume that buck didn't die of some health issue...

That leaves predators. Coyotes, this time of year, no. Besides, there were tons of rabbits to be had. Wolves, not yet in this area, but will be. Bear, lol. Lions, yes. It may not be a known fact, but lions prefer to kill bigger bucks. In fact, an outfitter made that same comment the next day to me when we discussed with him.

I guess that leaves man. This buck was maybe 25 inches wide. He was a younger buck, judging by hoof size. Personally I didn't consider him to be a trophy. Would expect that head would be gone and maybe back straps. It was right next to a road. But, you never know. : ( He is still there, if he had been white bone, I would have taken him home.

Oh, and not close enough to any kind of road, that he could be hit by a vehicle.

The spinal cord/vertebrae right behind the neck may have shown some kind of marks, but how shall I say, he was a bit ripe. ha

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom