Lion Kill

bigonedown

Just thought I would share this lion kill I found this year in a CA D zone while hunting deer. I saw a fresh buck track that looked like it was running. I followed it and to my surprise saw what I believed to be a lion track. I waited for two of my hunting partners to walk to where I was and after I showed them what I found and asked for their opinion they both had the same opinion as me. We tracked the them a short distance and saw where it looked like the buck had spun, got in a fight and saw a spot where it appeared the buck had been knocked down. A short distance away we found drag marks. We followed the drag into some thick brush. A little ways into the brush I found this nice buck on the back side of a log and covered with sticks. It appeared to be about four hours old. I had scouted this area before season and hunted it hard for about a week. I wasn't seeing very many deer and the area is a couple miles away from any roads so I knew the pressure wasn't real bad. After finding this I knew why I wasn't seeing many deer. Just thought you guys might like to see it. The buck is 21 1/2" 3X3.

Bigonedown
Brandon

1272img_0214.jpg

2528img_0217.jpg

2766img_0219.jpg

9798img_0221.jpg

What an amazing find. I have never found something like that and I hope I never do but that is cool. So did you tag it? Thanks for sharing.

Kurt-www.shootitimages.com

Classic kill. All of the lion kills I have ever come across were bucks also.

There is a really interesting book about lions and hunting in California. It is called "Brave...and other stories" by Steve Matthes. The book is named after one of Steves favorite dogs, Brave. Steve was a state trapper and spent a lifetime running cougar and bear as well as jaguar in South America.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-10-11 AT 09:58AM (MST)[p]Nice find Brandon.Good luck to you and your father in AZ.Were off to Mt tomarrow for 9 days

Cool thread with pic's to boot! Well done!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Rich, good luck on your hunt also and don't freeze to much I am sure it will be cold. I will get back with you and Matt when our hunt is over.

Brandon

That it will.Calling for snow 8 of the 9 days.Hope you guys kill a couple good ones and look forward to seeing some pics.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-11 AT 04:09PM (MST)[p]Cool pics! It's a strange feeling when finding a lion kill. When i was 16 I found one in an X zone back in 99'. The one we found was also a buck, and a really big one. It was in some brush and mostly covered up with grass. We saw a piece of antler 30 yards away while eating lunch and I went to pick it up. I thought it was a shed. When I got closer, I was like "holy crap"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom