Little good news for public land

hossblur

Long Time Member
Lawmakers have undone a 2017 rule-change that was widely criticized by hunters and anglers concerned about the threat of public land transfer or disposal

This week, the Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership encouraged House lawmakers to reverse a 2017 measure that made it easier to transfer or sell off public lands.

?Considering the benefits they provide to local communities and the nation?including outdoor recreation opportunities, clean water, and abundant wildlife habitat?America?s public lands continue to increase in value,? says Whit Fosburgh, president and CEO of the Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership. ?Congress should not be in the business of finding new ways to get rid of our public lands, and we applaud measures proposed by House lawmakers that recognize public lands are national assets, worthy of conservation.?

In its first day in session, the House of the 116th Congress passed a rules package that did not include language widely criticized by hunters and anglers last Congress.

The original rule-change?made by a 40-vote margin on the first day of the 115th Congress?overturned a requirement under Congressional Budget Office accounting rules to offset the cost of any transfer of federal land that generated revenue for the U.S. Treasury, whether through energy extraction, logging, grazing, or other activities.

In other words, for the past two years, public lands?even those producing billions in revenue for the federal government?had no official value and thus were vulnerable in terms of possible transfer to the states. House rules passed on Thursday did not carry this provision forward.

Once again, if lawmakers want to give federal land to a state or local government or tribe, they have to account for that loss of revenue.

?This indicates that public lands are on firmer footing in the 116th Congress,? says Fosburgh. ?We encourage all our lawmakers to restore or create policies that will help keep public lands in the public?s hands.?

This story was updated on January 4, 2019.

-TRCP

Yup its a freak show, but credit deserved when its deserved with new congress.

From the party of HUNTIN, FISHIN, PUBLIC LAND.

Thanks for posting HB. I misread the subject line at first, I thought it meant "not much" good news. Instead it means "there is a little good news"

Thanks again.

You're right, it is a freak show.

The Federal government got the land for free, they own the timber, don't pay taxes, and they lose money when they log it. Now the claim is made it's a tremendous asset and needs to be considered before any transfer?

A private land owner buys the land, pays taxes, makes money when he logs and has hunting 10 times as good as on public land.

Whatever.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-19 AT 08:54AM (MST)[p]excellent point...if you flunked 7th grade American History.

I reckon acquiring land via the Mexican war, Gadsden purchase, Louisiana Purchase, Revolutionary War, Anglo-American Convention of 1818, Alaska Purchase, Texas/Hawaii Annexation, etc. etc. wasn't "getting it for free".

Lots of blood shed and money paid to acquire said lands, hardly what I would consider getting it for free.

Also, its pure crap that the Feds pay no taxes on land, anyone ever heard of PILT?

The Feds absolutely make money on natural resources and would make a lot more if not for the sweetheart deals that Congress has made with the extractive industries.

Finally, its just awesome to have to pay private timber companies like Weyerhaeuser, either directly to hunt their land or through license fees in access agreements with the State. Hardly "free" access...and can be revoked at any time.

So yeah, its an excellent point if your shoe size and IQ are similar numbers.

RE:

"The Feds absolutely make money on natural resources and would make a lot more if not for the sweetheart deals that Congress has made with the extractive industries."

Elaborate?

RE:

I hate to say it but Buzz nailed it.

like them or not the democrats are why we still have public land and why there's any wildlife on it. that's simply a fact.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

RE:

That's great news. Maybe we can stop talking about how we're going to loose all our public lands and have no place to hunt, which seems to be the topic every other day. I can breathe a little easier now.

RE:

>I hate to say it but
>Buzz nailed it.
>
> like them or not the
>democrats are why we still
>have public land and why
>there's any wildlife on it.
> that's simply a fact.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Stay Thirsty My Friends

And when They Put Wolves in your Back Yard and You've Handed Your Guns in You're Gonna Feel Perty Damn Helpless!

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

RE:

LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-19 AT 11:03AM (MST)[p]>>I hate to say it but
>>Buzz nailed it.
>>
>> like them or not the
>>democrats are why we still
>>have public land and why
>>there's any wildlife on it.
>> that's simply a fact.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>Stay Thirsty My Friends
>
>And when They Put Wolves in
>your Back Yard and You've
>Handed Your Guns in You're
>Gonna Feel Perty Damn Helpless!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>I know so many people in
>so many places
>They make allot of money but
>they got sad faces
>
>It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

I have wolves in my backyard. I still have my guns. I even shot a wolf with one of my guns. mtmuley

RE: BHA's silence

So has BHA made a website statement on the Tabby Mountain land deal yet? Askin for a friend.

#livelikezac

>So has BHA made a website
>statement on the Tabby Mountain
>land deal yet? Askin for
>a friend.
>
>
>#livelikezac

I think Yvon or somebody slept with your wife. Every thread, even those that do not mention any conservation orgs at all, and all you can see is BHA. I truly feel bad for you.

Grizzly

>You're right, it is a freak
>show.
>
>The Federal government got the land
>for free, they own the
>timber, don't pay taxes, and
>they lose money when they
>log it. Now the claim
>is made it's a tremendous
>asset and needs to be
>considered before any transfer?
>
>A private land owner buys the
>land, pays taxes, makes money
>when he logs and has
>hunting 10 times as good
>as on public land.
>
>Whatever

But, but, but eel...

When the federal government does allow a sale and loses money doesn't the company who does the logging make MORE money? Creating jobs, paying taxes on bigger profits? That's good isn't it?

Dollars are same same. You only cut the same tree once.

RE:

>"The Feds absolutely make money on
>natural resources and would make
>a lot more if not
>for the sweetheart deals that
>Congress has made with the
>extractive industries."
>
>Elaborate?

With the computer age, its really easy to do your own research.

" In fiscal year 2006, oil and gas companies received over $77 billion from the sale of oil and gas produced from federal lands and waters, and the Department of the Interior's Minerals Management Service (MMS) reported that these companies paid the federal government about $10 billion in oil and gas royalties. Clearly, such large and financially significant resources must be carefully developed and managed so that our nation's rising energy needs are met while at the same time the American people are ensured of receiving a fair rate of return on publicly owned resources, especially in light of the nation's daunting current and long-range fiscal challenges. As requested, this report documents the information provided to Congressional staffs in March 2007 on the U.S. government's take and implications associated with increasing royalty rates. Specifically, this report discusses (1) the United States' government take relative to that of other government resource owners and (2) the potential revenue implications of raising royalty rates on federal oil and gas leases going forward.

Based on results of a number of studies, the U.S. federal government receives one of the lowest government takes in the world. Collectively, the results of five studies presented in 2006 by various private sector entities show that the United States receives a lower government take from the production of oil in the Gulf of Mexico than do states--such as Colorado, Wyoming, Texas, Oklahoma, California, and Louisiana--and many foreign governments."

https://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-07-676R

>>So has BHA made a website
>>statement on the Tabby Mountain
>>land deal yet? Askin for
>>a friend.
>>
>>
>>#livelikezac
>
>I think Yvon or somebody slept
>with your wife. Every thread,
>even those that do not
>mention any conservation orgs at
>all, and all you can
>see is BHA. I truly
>feel bad for you.
>
>Grizzly

I'll tell my friend no then, no statement yet.

#livelikezac

"With the computer age, its really easy to do your own research."

Not really interested in your opinion on that matter. You make a statement, be prepared to back it up without having to be arrogant and snarky...

>You're right, it is a freak
>show.
>
>The Federal government got the land
>for free, they own the
>timber, don't pay taxes, and
>they lose money when they
>log it. Now the claim
>is made it's a tremendous
>asset and needs to be
>considered before any transfer?
>
>A private land owner buys the
>land, pays taxes, makes money
>when he logs and has
>hunting 10 times as good
>as on public land.
>
>Whatever.

Are you seriously considering the position that things would be better for everyone if all public lands were privatized?

General comment, no democrat has ever asked me for any of my guns. However many republicans have asked for my land for free. When Obama tried to protect millions of acres from sale, trump went right in and reversed course. Republican politicians aren't on my side of very many things, and I'm a rich white guy with guns who likes to hunt. Time to get your heads out of the sand as a group and realize what's at stake.

>General comment, no democrat has ever
>asked me for any of
>my guns. However many republicans
>have asked for my land
>for free. When Obama tried
>to protect millions of acres
>from sale, trump went right
>in and reversed course. Republican
>politicians aren't on my side
>of very many things, and
>I'm a rich white guy
>with guns who likes to
>hunt. Time to get your
>heads out of the sand
>as a group and realize
>what's at stake.

Sure be nice if at some point the crips vs bloods bs would end. Here's a news flash, I'm not a R or a D. I missed jersey day at school. Republicans get props when they protect guns, dems get props for land.

You can be pro both.

When you travel in lockstep, you get ignored. The R "know" if they say gun or abortion, other locksteppers look past their own self interests.

If you are in the 70% who hunt public land, this is good. Encouraging lawmakers to do good doesn't make you a lib, it just means that want them to continue to do good work.

The hope is that the Lee and Bishops of the world can say "gun" or "wolf", and you will look past their actions because you were caught up in buzzwords.

From the party of HUNTIN, FISHIN, PUBLIC LAND.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-07-19 AT 11:22AM (MST)[p]>"With the computer age, its really
>easy to do your own
>research."
>
>Not really interested in your opinion
>on that matter. You
>make a statement, be prepared
>to back it up without
>having to be arrogant and
>snarky...

I'm really not interested in your opinion either. I'm more in the camp of teaching a man to fish, than simply handing them one. You live in the information age, never in the history of man has information been more available.

Many of the problems we have is because people fail to inform themselves. We run to dog-whistle politics and the shiny object, while our elected officials break it off in our a$$.

I'm also wondering why you didn't ask eelgrass to "elaborate" on his total BS post? He made some outlandish and out-right untrue statements.

I have to defend my true statements, while you let his lies slide?

Don't expect me to do your homework assignment again.

Wow, a logical and rational debate on MM . frame this one.

I voted for Bush Jr n 2000 to stop Clinton's wolf reintroduction and reverse the snowmobile ban in Yellowstone. I got neither. so much for republicans doing the right thing.

Since then it's just been an assault of public lands by the GOP, even pardoning public land arsonists poachers ( Hammonds ) because they are " great people " .

it's hard to find much good to say about any of the politicians but it's good to hear others say you must look at the whole picture not just get hung up on an issue or two. that's the absolute truth.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom