Loads for TC Omega =)

Rodzilla_v

I'm in Reno, NV, went to Cabelas to use up $400 of Gift Cards I got over X-mas, was a little dissapointed at their selection, was going to buy a CVA accura but were out of stock on the model I wanted. Later drove to Scheels and could not belive when I saw a brand new TC Omega (Stainless/camo) for sale for only $300! Told my wife I need to get this now as it was their only one! Minutes later I had purchased my first Muzzy in almost 10 years... I cant wait to use it!!

Anybody out there willing to share their favorite loads/best results they have had with this muzzy? I would be using it for Muleys in A.) in NV and B.) in CO.

4386photo.jpg

I will be starting to experiment with bullets and types of powder in the next few weeks, but any usefull hints- suggestions would be appreciated..- Thanks you, Zilla

Here is a pic of my first muzzy buck in UT nealy 10 years ago -hoping to get back into it!

511picture_004.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Feb-20-11 AT 07:48PM (MST)[p]If you want to go conicals, there are not many that shoot consistently from Omegas. Colorado does require conicals and loose powder. BH 209 would be my first powder choice, but other subs would well too.

Full bore conicals to try that might do OK in spite of the QLA in the order that I would recommend them: 1) Thor in 250 or 300 gr (depending on game hunted) 2) Hornady FPBs in 300 or 350 gr. 3) Powerbelts. Powerbelts are made of soft lead, so don't push them too hard or they will come apart (max 100 gr powder)

My Colorado elk load in my Omega has been 95 gr of BH 209 and a 350 gr Hornady FPB. 2 shots and 2 dead elk with this load.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

+1 on the blackhorn I shoot a TC Triumph which also has the QLA I tried lots of different bullets and powders. Tried the thors just weeks ago and my gun did not like them. Shot the 350 FBP for the last two years and accuracy has been great. Killed a cow this year at 247 yard recovered bullet with weight still at 318 Grains. Give BH 209 a trie and the FBP.

I don't think they are legal in Colorado, but in Utah, I like the barnes sabots 290 TMZ ( I believe) and have had really good success shooting the Hornady sabots in the 290 weight range. I usually back mine with 110-120 grains of 777.

Next time I have a muzzy tag, I will try working up an accurate load using the blackhorn powder.

115 grains of Blackhorn 209, 325 grain Hornady FTX in a Harvester muzzleloading "crush rib" sabot and a CCI 209M primer. Try it, you will not be dissapointed.

In Utah I shoot 90 grains BH209, Hornady 300 gr SST Low Drags, Winchester primers... and at 100 yards a group at an inch... but the SST's aren't legal in CO. Whatever bullet you use, shoot BH 209. Its clean and it made my loads WAY more accurate. It shoots a lot hotter than most powders, so you don't have to load near as much. Every muzzy shoots different, my buddy and I both have Omegas, mine shoots best with 90 grains, his shoots better with 85.
I would find a bullet that will work, shoot 3 shot groups, starting at 80 grains, then 85, 90, 95...and work you way up from there, remember, the max load for BH209 is 120... But you don't need NEAR that much... Find what is accurate, it doesn't need to be hauling @$$ to kill, but it DOES have to be accurate...

CSO

It's all about the good times...

MonsterMuleysLogo.png

LAST EDITED ON Feb-22-11 AT 05:59PM (MST)[p]I'm using 100gr BH209 and 250 Barnes TMZ sabots,3" groups @ 200 yrds. As stated try starting at 80 grns and work up,each one is different and after breakin different still. Love my Omega!!

Thanks everbody for the responses! The one common demoninator that I see is BH209, which I think was not around back when I started muzzleloader hunting in 2000. I still have a box of Pyrodex pillets that I used with Hornardy XTPs, but now I think I will keep away from them and start with BH209 and low drag sabots for the NV hunts, and FPBs for CO hunts.

I think its great advice to start at 80 grains and move slightly up until a find the right combination for the gun. It will be fun learning to load with loose powder, Can't wait to give it a roll, thanks again!!!

Good luck, let us know how it goes. There are a lot of good guys on here with some good advice. Use it. If you need any more help, ask...:)
CSO

It's all about the good times...

MonsterMuleysLogo.png

Another thing to remember, I have tried five different primers and there is a HUGE difference! BH209 reccomends the CCI209M primer and for good reason. There is a completely better powderburn than the others I have tried. Using the winchesters, 777, standard CCI primers etc. do ok but you put the CCI209M primer in and there is twice the kick (complete powder burn). Shoot them side by side and you will see. CCI209M is the way to go with that BH209 powder.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-11 AT 02:37PM (MST)[p]Never said those won't work, they will. Try a high charge load then shoot two winchester 209's the two consecutive with the CCI209M's and you will see what I am talking about. You will see on the chrono and with your shoulder. I am shooting 115gr. of BH209 with my Triumph and there is a night and day difference with primers.

I shoot the exact same load as CSO (90gr BH209, 300gr SST) but I also use the CCI209m Primers, I had several hang fires with winchester and 209 and will stick with the recommended CCIs.

This was the load I killed my bull with last year in a Knight Vision, and I will start out with this load in the TC Omega x7 that I bought today.....I like smokepoles way too much....

Good luck!

-----------------------------------------------
http://andymansavage.blogspot.com/

300 gr Barnes EZ loads
120 gr BH209
Rem STS shotgun primers

Good shooting hard hitting load good enough for anything in NA

Bill

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom