Lobo/Dog Crossbreeding

nmelktrout

Very Active Member
So, there has been at least one confirmed incidence of New Mexico?s wonderful gray wolves cross-breeding with domestic dogs. My understanding is that a female lobo was bred by a black lab and birthed a litter of half dogs (I will call them labralobos). The appropriate authority was brought in and the pups exterminated. However, in the process of destroying the pack, the female and at least one half-breed escaped. I've heard that there may be another incidence of cross-breeding with a border collie or other shepherd mix and that there are a couple of cross-bred looking animals running with a couple of the packs in the Gila. I hope these issues have been discussed at the recent wolf forums at is seems that the public-at-large is unaware of the fact that the integrity of New Mexico?s precious lobo DNA has been compromised. Not certain as to how public these issues have been made, but if they haven't, they certainly should be.

Anyone else been discussing this topic lately? I've been out of the loop in NM due to a career change and move to Colorado. I miss running into many of you guys, but am putting meat in the freezer here in Colorado as well as hunting NM. Jason, what do you know about these issues???
-Cody

http://themeateater.com/
www.streamflies.com

It sounds to me that any "canine" that does not match the game and fish characteristics criteria for a Mexican Grey wolf as defined in the proclamation is fair game and should be shot. I'll bet that these hybrids, "If they exist" will have a bounty paid out for them but coyotes never will.

I am sure 100% about the case you are specifically talking about but yes. I know for a fact that these "wolves" are breeding with domestic dogs. A few years ago i was talking to a lawyer and the issue of a defense for shooting a Mexican Wolf came up... and idea was that the DNA has been so messed with that you could claim that it was a hybrid and not a pure wolf. Of course nobody has tried the defense yet but it could stand. Also, we have the WACKO lady in silver that breeds wolf-hybrids and it wouldn't surprise me if a few got out. I have seen some very interesting tracks around her compound that would lead me to believe they are running wild.

So even the animals that they claim to be Mexican Wolfs aren't pure.

Back to your question about the 1/2 breed.. Let me see if I can find out anything official...

J-

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom