Loco Hills Supply Store Bucks

Josey_Wales

LAST EDITED ON Jun-05-11 AT 10:27AM (MST)[p]Does anyone know what the story is behind the bucks in the Supply store in Loco Hills? I always pass through there after closing time on my way to the hills, and thought I'd ask. Here's a pic I took through the window, but the really big ones are on the back wall of the store.

0dd61d1c.jpg

Bump for the draw results crowd. FYI...these bucks are very small compared to the 2 hanging in the back of the store. If you ever pass through there, stop and take a look.

My guess is that the bucks in the back of the store are not sandhill bucks...they look like mountain bucks to me with dark antlers.

I finally made it through Loco Hills the other day during normal business hours and went in the store. None of them are sandhill bucks...they are from Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, and Utah (and maybe Wyoming).

If you ever drive through Loco Hills, it is worth stopping to take a look at these bucks. My mouth waters every time, and then I go see all of the dinks in unit 34...

Those bucks may not be from the sandhills but I'll stick by my original statment. There are some great bucks in those ugly,stinky sandhills. It's a different type of hunt but it can be very rewarding. I used to check waterholes early till I cut a track that was big enough to follow and it would take most of the day sometimes to catch up to the buck but you would be surprised at the size of some of those deer. Later Baker

Ray Westall shot them. One is a strip buck. Ray Westall is a very wealthy oil man and he actually drew the raffle for the arizona gov deer tag. That buck was a 220ish non typical. the other two bucks were shot in Sonora. The two typical bucks score 217 and 215ish if memory serves me right. Ray wants me to go hunt with him but he goes every year and has been dozens of times and only killed those two bucks. So odds tell me I won't get one that big and I cant see dropping the $9800 to go.

Next time your there go to the metal building on the east side and go in there. I believe thats where his strip buck is. As for the guys that work in the supply store they barely know what a buck is. Next door is Ray's office and if he's not hunting he will be more than happy to give you the full scoop. He's a super nice guy!

the bucks I'm talking of are his 3 largest deer. The one in the center is a sonora buck. The other 2 aren't from there. I think I remember him telling me that the one in the far left was a jicarilla buck and I can't remember the other one. They weren't really that big and I just don't really remember. All I remember is he killed two typicals over 215" in Sonora and one giant on the arizona strip. Then again I remember him saying something about unit 13a in arizona which is the strip and getting tag soup. I can't remember if he hunted it two separate times or what. Just go talk to ray he will tell you whats what. Or talk with Doug chandler, I think they use his jet to fly all over hunting in. their both cool guys and big time hunters. All I know is those are not sand hill bucks from the area.

That's the scoop I'm looking for. Thanks for the info.

Yeah, the guys in the store didn't seem too impressed with the bucks or my interest in them.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom