Lone Peak wilderness

elkhuntn247

anyone on here ever pack in and hunt they high country early in the season with a bow? I have been thinking about giving it a try the last few years. I would have this year but I drew a WY tag and was more worried about that over the summer. So im thinkin about making a few scout trips this summer. is there a better side of the mountain? above sandy, above alpine? any info would be great guys!

I have rode the horses a few times up above Corner Canyon towards Lone Peak and that old cabin that is up there pretty high .

In the early season I never saw any thing that I wanted to chase with my bow . That is some steep , nasty country up there .

150-160 sounds realistic . All my rides up there have been at times when the deer really where not moving , so can't really help you on numbers . Another thing I was really watching the trail since it's that steep and nasty .

I remembered the name of one of the trails . The Hemogog ( not sure on spelling , I'm sure I'm butchering it ) . From what I remember that trail goes in to Alpine . That other trail is above or East of Jacobs Ladder , and is long steep zig zag , switch backing ordeal that goes up by that old cabin .

If interested, I am willing to head back in there scouting with you, I have a couple recomendations from people I work with. I have been up a couple places back in there leaving from draper. Send me a pm if your interested. I have seen a few nice bucks from where I have scouted before.

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

Horsecreek , thats a good question , and I haven't been able to get a straight answer on that .

Even the lower Corner Canyon trails that are not in the wilderness area are confusing , and seem to change from time to time if horses are allowed . It's not my favorite place to ride , so I only go there if I need a quick ride .

Last week I was riding a trail from lower Corner canyon that has been open to horses according to my trail map from Draper City . I just happened to look at one of the new maps posted on a information booth by one of the restrooms , and that map advised the trail was closed to horses . My neighbors kid works for Draper City parks , and he doesn't even seem to know what trails are open for horses .

As far as the wilderness area which is pretty much every thing above the upper Corner Canyon road is open to horses as far as I know . Draper City has no control or any thing to do with the wilderness area , and from my research of wilderness areas I don't see how they could or can ban horses in a wilderness area unless there is some other factor like watershed protection area .

My understanding was that they designated it watershed...I could be wrong. I've never been up there, but I would like to do it this spring by horse if possible.

Traditional >>>------->

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom