Long legs in the desert...

C

Chef

Well, I made it back from my Sandhill Crane hunt last night. This was my first time looking for them, and I am more familiar with the nuances/benefits that can be behind the quest for the birds. All in all it was a fun hunt. These birds are big! I'll post some info for all you gents for the future searches. I wish I would have had some more info to go on so I'll pass what I know.

The birds fly in a ?V? reminding me of a B-52 squadron. There are two ?varieties? I guess. The lesser and the greater Sandhill. The greater is twice the size of the lesser. The lesser fly with more birds together, up to about fifteen while the greater fly solo or with up to three in a flight. The birds fly very high. Too high to shoot most of the time. The trick is to catch them coming up from their morning roosting areas or to lure them to land in a field with decoys. I am going the decoy route next time. Find a farmer that will allow you to hunt on their fresh cut corn field and you're in the money. We saw fields with literally thousands of birds in them! (posted NO HUNTING?figures) As they come into the fields to eat, they come flight by flight. Hundreds of opportunities to get one if they start to come into your field.

You can hear these birds call before you see them. Their call travels for about a mile and you will see them coming your way at about a quarter mile. Shoot only at the birds that fly directly over you. They fly high and if you shoot at everything, you just spook the next flight and waste ammo. Like I said, they fly high and these birds are so big, you get fooled into thinking they are closer than they actually are.

They have excellent eyesight too. Wear tan colored or wetlands camo. No military issue green. Nothing shiny either. If it rains (which it did for us) wear a good rain suit that doesn't shine. Don?t move until ready to shoot.

We used 3? shells with #4 lead and Tungsten Matrix in #1 I think. 3? I say would be the minimum to use. We peppered a few birds (yes they are that high) and they didn't even flinch. Hope this info helps all you future crane hunters?now about my hunt!

Almost forgot, don't hunt with dogs, these guys are mean and if you send a dog after a wounded one, their razor sharp 4? beak WILL tear them up. FYI

------------------------------

I was able to connect with a bird on the first day of the hunt. (limit is two per hunter, draw only) We were able to find a few that were heading to a field that they were feeding on. I shot at the lead crane and hit the second in line. (go figure) I broke its wing and it spiraled down to earth. I kept shooting at the flight to try and down another. (READ?wasting $2 a piece Tungsten Matrix shells) I reloaded and went to look for my downed bird which I saw fell about forty yards from where I stood. I couldn't find it which seemed odd considering the size of these guys. (BTW I was in a desert area with the typical sand and bush) Well, out of the corner of my eye I see a head bobbing up and down about fifty yards away from me. I turn to see the crane running away! So now I'm running full tilt, shotgun in hand, through the desert after this bird that's three feet high! He runs faster than me BTW! We weave around small brush and so forth then he turns after passing a mesquite bush. So now he can't see me since the mesquite is between us. My only hope is that he slows because he can't see me, I continue running as fast as I can towards the bush. Sure enough, my head peers over the mesquite to see him standing at forty yards. I put the bead on his head?BOOM! My first shot had completely busted it's wing. Didn?t get another good shot the rest of the hunt. Just peppered a few that were way too high. There?s always next year!

DSC00169.jpg

Cnv0025.jpg

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

Cool story, next time you'll have to wear track shoes to go crane hunting. ;-)

Mike
at235.gif

I've always wondered what you would do with one of those if you got one. Have you ate one???? Or do you eat them???
They look too ugly to eat or have mounted on your wall. They would probably take up a full wall when you get them spread out..
Just curious?????
a*r

A bad day hunting is better than a Good Day at Work!!

THAT LOOKS LIKE A BLUE HERRON CRANE???

THE SANDHILL CRANES WE HAVE ARE MORE OF A TAN COLOR AND QUITE A BIT BIGGER,MAYBE THE BIGGER OF THE TWO YOU MENTIONED???

WHAT DO THEY TASTE LIKE???

I'VE SEEN ALOT OF THEM,JUST NEVER GOT TO EXCITED ABOUT BOOMING ONE!!!

I SEEN A COYOTE OUT NEAR STRAWBERRY TRYING TO CATCH ONE AND THEM BIG BIRDS CAN JUMP HIGH WHEN THEY WANT TO!!!

I WANTED TO SHOOT THE DOG,BUT THEN I THOUGHT,OFF THE HIGHWAY???,OUT THE TRUCK WINDOW???,SHOOT TOWARDS A PROTECTED SPECIES OF BIRD???,I LOOKED DOWN THE ROAD AND THEN THOUGHT WITH A FISH COP WATCHING ME WITH A BIG SCWARSKI???NO THIS SHOT WASN'T FOR ME AFTER ALL!!!

THE ONLY bobcat WONDERING IF THAT FISH COP DIDN'T HAVE THE TICKET FILLED HALF WAY OUT???

Apparently they call em "flying prime ribs"! That's why I got excited about hunting them. The smaller cranes are comparable to geese, from what I hear. I will let you guys know later how Sandhill tastes!

Thanks for looking guys.

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

Hector, congrats. Looks like you did better than me. Sounds like a good time.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom