Long range practice

@slamdunk, anyone on the tech committee paying attention?

Ya, Muzzleloaders are the problem.
Yes, absolutely long range capabilities are being talked about, but aside from removing electronic automation of ballistics, what else can be done (serious question on a different thread)?

Don't say "outlaw turrets", because then you can't even sight in a straight power without an elevation adjustment.

Crazy long shot at 1550 with a centerfire Magnum rifle.

That's a whopping 450 yards further than a committee member killed his buck last year with his Gunwerks muzzleloader at 1100 ?

Last edited:
Yes, absolutely long range capabilities are being talked about, but aside from removing electronic automation of ballistics, what else can be done (serious question)?

Don't say "outlaw turrets", because then you can't even sight in a straight power without an elevation adjustment.

Crazy long shot at 1550 with a centerfire Magnum rifle.

That's a whopping 450 yards further than a committee member killed his buck last year with his Gunwerks muzzleloader at 1100 ?
Ban bottleneck cartridges along with muzzy scopes.

I think there are a lot more guys then you know that reload and shoot long range, they just don’t brag it up.
Exactly. The guys that post it and brag crack me up. Now it's even normal to put the shot yardage in the thread title. Funny. mtmuley

I like it. Cool that it was on the first shot. If it was me, I might edit it to make it look like I got it on the first shot that way everyone can say “you’re so good”. And they can think I’m a better shooter than them.

I

I totally respect long range bangin steel.
I've personally never shot over 1000, but I'd like to attempt a mile with my Lapua someday.

Both my 6ix 5ive PRC's are doped up to reach 1000 but for hunting, I limit myself to 600 maximum.

I like it. Cool that it was on the first shot. If it was me, I might edit it to make it look like I got it on the first shot that way everyone can say “you’re so good”. And they can think I’m a better shooter than them.

I
Maybe you could come along next time so I don’t have to tell you that

Just curious but what are your standards before shooting at the next distance? Example: You hit the target once then move on to the next distance?

Just curious but what are your standards before shooting at the next distance? Example: You hit the target once then move on to the next distance?
I usually start out at around 400 for 2-3 shots then move to 600. I shoot a lot at 600 and actually zero my spin drift for 600 (that’s about 1/2” left at 100 yards). Then I shoot a few at 750 and then a few at 975 (this is where our steel is permanently set at). We backed out into BLM to shoot a few at 1200 and then jumped to 1550 for fun because we had no wind and that was about the limit for where we shoot.

Maybe you could come along next time so I don’t have to tell you that
I didn’t mean for it to sound like I don’t believe you. I have no reason to not believe it. I’m just saying that it would not go that way with me. Not on the first shot at 1550 at least. You’re much better than me. I’m still stuck at or around 800. I go to 1000 on occasion and it shows me I need more work. I have banged steel on the first shot before at 1000, but I was alone so no one got to validate me. I think I need 18" or 24" or larger steel and I might be a lot better. I like to joke with the others I shoot around that we need larger steel.

I didn’t mean for it to sound like I don’t believe you. I have no reason to not believe it. I’m just saying that it would not go that way with me. Not on the first shot at 1550 at least. You’re much better than me. I’m still stuck at or around 800. I go to 1000 on occasion and it shows me I need more work. I have banged steel on the first shot before at 1000, but I was alone so no one got to validate me. I think I need 18" or 24" or larger steel and I might be a lot better. I like to joke with the others I shoot around that we need larger steel.
What calibers are you playing with?

Gotcha thanks for the clarification. I only mentioned that it was the first shot because I’m not too impressed when someone hits steel at a mile on their 33rd shot. I can guarantee that if there was much of any wind that day it wouldn’t have rang with my first shot. Stretching yourself out there especially in wind is humbling and most importantly it helps you establish your limits in the field with wind and without. Not learning your rifles spin drift and not learning to compensate for the rotation of the earth on top of all the other factors adds up for big misses. This “1000 yards out of the box” is bull crap.

What calibers are you playing with?
I have a 6.5 Creedmoor in a 40x made by Remington in their custom shop about 5 years before they closed down. That’s my main one. It’s a heavy, 15 pound rifle only for the range because I will never attempt to carry it hunting. The next one is a custom 700-280 AI that is a practical sporter I will carry. Kind of heavy so it’s not a regular hunting rifle. The third one is a 223 I just got back with a new barrel that will do great out to maybe 600 but doubtful any further.

This rifle I’m shooting in the video is right at 9 lbs. I’ve had super lightweight rifles and they are difficult to shoot. My personal preference for hunting is 8.5 - 9 lbs. my PRS rifle is almost 25 lbs.

Shooting at steel isn't controversial. I can hit constantly to 1400 yards and I hit at 1 mile on my second shot. the equipment we have these days is nothing short of amazing. and it's fun.

The longest shot I've ever attempted was on a bull this year at 730 yards and it went text book perfect. I believe I'd try out to 900 but I'm not looking to do it. and this is if everything was perfect.

Personally I don't think the long range thing is a positive development for the hunting sport. but it's here so I'm not going to fall on my sword over it. and if I ever lose an animal because I overestimated my ability I'll quit for good.

@marley
Nice shooting.
Did not read all the posts, so might of missed something. So, how many shots could you shoot at that range before the first round hits? Be a neat video to see.

Seemed like you had almost a 5 second flight time. If you could get off another shot or two it would be interesting to hear the string of hits on video.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom