Long Range Shooting Scopes

excavator

I asked this same question in the shooting section, but maybe this is the appropriate section.

Anway, I want to be able to be a good shot out to 600 yards and am wondering if it is necessary to upgrade my scope to something that can go past 9x? Is it necessary to have a higher power scope when shooting at these longer distances?

Excavator

LAST EDITED ON Nov-13-12 AT 09:25AM (MST)[p]I think 9X is sufficient. I also prefer 14X...but look at some stuff at 600 yards in your scope (like a basketball), you will be surprised how easy it will be to see.

I have shot my 270 at 1000 yards with a 3.5-10X and it is enough. By that I mean I don't have the confidence that I do with the 14X, but groups are the same size.

I once laid on my gun and watched a spike at just over 1000yards. My crosshairs covered 1/3 of his chest (10X) I could see 1/3 of his chest over the horizontal, and 1/3 under. There is no way I could have hit that deer, but I could hold the crosshairs on him where I wanted them. You will find that you can probably do the same with a softball at 600....not confidence inspiring, but do-able...now a deer is much larger than that and you will have no problem seing it and having confidence being able to put the crosshair on it where you want to.

Now the hard part....hitting where the crosshair are!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-17-12 AT 01:48AM (MST)[p]as of now i have a 6 to 20 power scope. i figure if your shooting long distance split a freaken baseball into four sections with your crosshairs at 500 yards. all you can do by going higher power is enhance and speed up your shooting time. i love being able to see a one inch bullseye at 100 yards through my scope. "aim small miss small"
"I've hunted almost every day of my life, The rest have been wasted"

Depends on whether you or someone else using your gun shoots small bucks (spikes and forks). If the buck is solo, you'll be fine. But I have heard stories, and have seen people shooting at the wrong deer many times and at closer range then 600 because they only had 9 power.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom