Long Range Shooting Scopes

excavator

I am trying to become a good rifle shooter out to about 600 yards. I was wondering what power of scope is best for that yardage. Is 9x sufficient or is something greater recommended? Right now I am set up with a standard 3x9 Leupold on a Remington 300 Win Mag.

I am sure some of you know a ton about this type of thing, so your input is appreciated.

Excavator

3-9x is plenty of scope.The thing is, how is your cheek weld? IF its very consistant it shouldnt be much of a problem, but paralax can become a big issue beyond 500 on a non A/O scope if you dont understand it.

I think you will be fine at a max power of 9, as paralax becomes more of an issue above 10x..Send your scope in to leupold for an M1 or CDS and I think you will be good to go.

I had Leupold add a CDS to my gun about two years ago, which was before I tried to start shooting longer distances.

I am just searching for answers as to why I am not experiencing the consistency I would like out at 500-600 yards. I don't shoot from a bench, as I try and take all of my shots similar to what they might be when actually hunting. At these longer distances, I shoot prone with my my pack as a rest.

Like I said above, I am just searching for answers. The problem could be with the shooter and not the equipment.

Thanks for your input.

To answer your question, i think that you should start by finding out just how good your equipment is. By that, i'm saying that you should try to take as much human error out of the equation and absolutely use a solid as can be rest to do it.

Practicing field position shots are great but at longer distances, you need to be sure that your setup can provide satisfactory results. Put it on the Bench!

Personally, i only shoot at game out to or a little above 500 yards, a long long ways, but with the two rifle set-ups that i hunt the most with, i KNOW that if i do my part, i can expect 3-5" groups at that distance. Absolutely knowing what your equipment can and will do goes a long way in the confidence needed in taking, what i consider, the longer shots at game.

Good luck with it!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Your Leupold is a great start. First maybe you need to start from a bench with bags . Get you gun and load shooting good at 100 ,200 and 300. Then take you new found skills to the ground. Make sure your rifle is doing it's part and then you start doing yours. Trigger control and follow threw and so on. Then start moving your yardage out to 600.

It might be difficult to get setup on a bench and shoot 600 yards. I know I don't have access to that. I do have access to a good 1000 yard range, but I have to shoot prone. I lay down with front and rear rests, just like I use on the bench and I can get just a solid. You should be able to get settled into your pack in a solid position also. Just make sure everything is perfectly still and take your time, thus knowing your are testing the equipment.

What kind of "inconsistencies" are you having? If you describe your problem in a little more detail, I am sure someone here can help get you past it.

I have found that when I become inconsistent at longer distances, it is because I just didn't notice the inconsistencies up close because they were much smaller.

Can you keep all your shots under an inch at 100 yards?...under 2" at 200 yards? This is much more difficult than everyone makes it sound...and still doesn't guarantee you 6" groups at 600. Some loads open up a bunch past a certain point.

When I originally started shooting 500-600 yards, I could hit a 12"x12" target nearly all the time. Now I am having quite a hard time hitting the target even half of the time.

I shoot a factory load 180 Grain Nosler Accubond.

I have never tried shooting prone and having a front and back rest, only a front rest. What do you use for a back rest?

Also, what kind of group at 100 yards would you say correlates to a 10" group at 600 yards?

Excavator

OK, you definately need a rear rest. You want to practice field shooting. If you use your pack than your gun needs to be nestled into it solidly so that your pack is your front and rear rest (so that you can squeeze the trigger and hold the crosshairs steady).

I hunt with a long harris bi-pod on the front, which is too long for prone shooting, but with a pack under the rear of the gun and the front bi-pod about 2/3 extended its rock solid and you can adjust the front as needed for height.

I wear one of those heavy face masks when its cold (usually always have it in my coat pocket). It works well as a rear rest. Ball it up in your hand and wedge is under the rear of your gun (still in your hand). As you gently sqeeze/release it you change your point of aim up and down. A sock full of air soft BB's that is sewn up works really well for a rear rest and then your squeeze it the same way.

Mathematically a 2" group at 100 yards equates to a 12" group at 600 and this should be very easy to accomplish. Not all loads work this way, but I have no reason to believe yours will open up more than this.

If you were hitting consistently and now are not, I would be looking for a problem. Is your zero dead on? Accuracy problem? Drop data/turret problem? etc.

I am thinking that the rear rest could help my problem. In fact, I think part of my inconsistency is probably related to the fact that I used to shoot off of a larger pack (probably provided more overall support). The problem is that the large pack is too big for day hunts.

I will defintely try out the separate rear rest. Do you use the face mask or the air soft BB's on top of your pack, or only when not using your pack as a rear rest?

like others have stated, get a solid rest. if you dont have a local range that goes out that far, throw a fold up table in your truck and find a spot that you can shoot. if its a light weight table and a little shakey, throw a few big rocks on it and that will make it pretty solid.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom