Look out Wapiti, here we come

nmyotebuster

Hitting the road up to the Vidal in about 30 minutes to share an elk hunt with my daughter and another new hunter.

Going to try to lay the smack down on a couple freezer fillers.

Thanks to all who gave us advice!

NMYB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teach your kids to hunt now, and you won't have to hunt for them later.

She did it again!!!

I will get some pics off the camera and get a real thread started

But the short of it is;

Sunday 5 minutes before sundown, 252 yard shot, and the biggest bodied cow I have ever seen lay dead after a 50 yd run.

It was a 3 mile pack out ( in the dark ), thank god we stashed a game cart the day before, up where we were hunting.

The Vidal is Gorgeous this time of year, what an experience.

The other young man we had with us, had a few opportunities, but could not cash in. But I still think he is hooked for life.

Thanks to all those who helped, there will PMs incoming.

NMYB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LAST EDITED ON Nov-02-10 AT 02:51PM (MST)[p]We were successful near McCrystal place.

There wasn't as much pressure as we expected, so the elk were pretty holed up in the timber. We just got lucky on the hike out sunday evening, to run into a herd in excess of 150 or so head.

We only saw another 5 or 6 hunters in our area total, Sat-Mon.

Pics will be added tonite.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-02-10 AT 08:27PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-02-10 AT 08:13?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Nov-02-10 AT 08:11?PM (MST)

Just a quick teaser before I write up the whole thing ( I have to figure which of the 150 photos to use ), but here is what we saw as we came out of the timber at about 5:45PM sunday. This was about 1/3 of the total herd.

PA311146.jpg

A view of her earlier in the hunt surveying this same valley

PA311121.jpg

And the result of a lot of hiking, and some great times spent with my daughter.

PA311149.jpg

I am truly blessed with a young lady who has a passion for the outdoors maybe even greater than mine. She can also outshoot most of my hunting buddies, ( me included ).

I can only imagine where these journeys will take us some day, she is 12 and has both an elk and an oryx to her name.

I cannot thank all those that pointed us in the right direction enough. Thank you again and again.

And a HUGE thanks to Biohazardman, my bro-in-law. He is a mountain goat with a work ethic that is beyond anything I could ever imagine. He traipsed every mile with us, hauled on the game cart, and kept both my daughter and I going the whole hunt.

(It helps he has a cozy 5th wheel too ).

NMYB

SO happy she connected nice cow! Give our congrats to her! can't wait to more pictures of her on her next hunt! :) again congrats!!!

vinihunt

NMYB....The smile on your little Girl's face says it all, you are so lucky to have her as a hunting buddy!!! Congratulations to you and her!! AWESOME!

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

Here are a few more pics! Had a great time! I started calling her "Annie Oakley"! She sure can shoot!

Tired after climbing up a steep hill out of a valley...
IMG_3913.jpg

An old chimney
IMG_3916.jpg

Holy Cow! Look at the size of that cow!
IMG_3924.jpg

My beer fridge/meat locker!
VVelk002.jpg

There has to be 20 lbs of backstrap there.

Can't wait to get it to the processor.

Of course you would post a pic of me dying at the top of that hill.

Thanks Bulls, and everyone else.

The other youngster was unable to connect, though he had 12 or so cows at 30 yds opening morning. They were all bunched up, and he thought it wasn't a safe/ethical shot with them bunched up so tightly.

He also had a couple other opportunities, but was busted moving into position, or something else like that, we have all been there. He and his dad ( a work buddy ) shared a great hunt, and he is ready to go back already.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Congrats...I get the privlage of hunting with my 12 year old for the first time in November @ Mount Taylor. I hope we do as well as you ,if not It will be time well spent anyway. Your a good man.

Congrats on a great hunt, Love the pic with the herd in it.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Thanks everyone for all the comments.

It was a blessing to get to do this with my daughter.

Next up she wants to chase antelope this coming year, so we will put in, and god willing give it a try.

Right now we are trying to get an oryx for her younger sister, but it is tough going, 8 more days to try.

Thanks again from her and I.

NMYB

Congratulations!!! It brings joy to my heart to see this! I am very happy for you and your daughter! You are a really great man/father and I appreciate all the help you provided to my boys on their off range hunt back in July.

Merry Christmas brother!

"Windage & Elevation Pilgrim, Windage & Elevation"

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom