Look Out Wyoming

cbeard

Very Active Member
OK so I'm at the range today zeroing my little .22-250 when two guys take a couple of benches a little ways down from me.Nice guys-proceed to tell me they are going to Wyoming on an elk hunt in a couple of weeks. One guy says he is here to sight in his brand new .300 RUM and proceeds to tack a target at the 200 yard range.

Long story short:BOOOOOM!!! Cussing.BOOOOOM!!! More cussing. This repeats about 6 times.#1 says his shoulder hurts like hell! Buddy #2 says nothing yet on target and asks if the place he bought it boresighted the scope."I dunno",replies Buddy #1.It is my strict policy not to be a buttinski on the range as I am no expert and you know how people are at the range anyway.

Finally one asks me if I have any suggestions and I nicely say maybe moving a couple of targets over to the 100 yard target would be a good start.They do so and I field bore-sight the rifle aligning the bore with the target and adjusting the scope reticles.

Buddy #1 settles in and #2 says "Get down on it good." BOOOOOOM!!! You guessed it-blood starts pouring from #1's brow and the cussing reaches a new high. #1 finally gets cleaned up and #2 points out his shot is on the paper so they can sight it in now. "I can't do it," #1 says,will you sight it in?" #2 says
"Hell no,I ain't getting anywhere near that thing!" They both look at me and I just shake my head.

I was done so I left them starting to argue with one another because apparently #2 had told #1 that was too much gun,yadda,yadda....

Look out Wyoming!

LOL... I'll keep my eye out for it in the MM classifieds...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-01-10 AT 04:33PM (MST)[p]Stuff like that happens all too often i fear. Then some, a few, of them have read how their new boomer is good out to 1000+ yds so anything they see in that range gets shot at.

I don't much care for a lot of recoil myself but had a buddy that has a typical in the mid range of the "Book" who owned and hunted muleys with a .340 Weatherby. I had to sight in his rifle every year for him because he was scared of it. He could shoot game with it fine he said but if he shot it at the range, he'd start flinching. Lucky for me, the gun stayed pretty much on with only a few clicks of adjustment needed each year. But after helping him, i'd notice that i had then started flinching a bit with my 25-06!

For those that can shoot the big boomers with no lingering side effects, like flinching or jerking the trigger, more power to you. In that respect, you're more man than i, thank you, The big boomers have their uses and some advantages, no doubt, but i'll stick with the Mighty Mid's, good shot placement and keep my shots under or up to 500yds, a heck of a long ways. I'll do just fine!

Joey

Nope, The big magnums ain't for everyone. Sounds like those bozos couldn't have sighted in a BB gun. mtmuley

LMAO...

Never really was a fan of the BIG RUM's...

When I put a new scope on a rilfe/ or buy a new rifle I start my sight in process at 25-yds. Once I ahve the L/R centered I can then move out to 100yds and adjust the elevation.

SAVES me a ton of ammo and pain :)

I read this post and laughed. Then a couple of days later almost the exact same thing happened to me at the range. Two guys shooting ultra mags, couldn't hit paper. Luckily for Wyoming these hooligans were planning on hunting their native state of Idaho where there are no animals for them to injure.

TC don't be so sure-"Best of the West" says with your Kestrel windmeter,Gunwerks rifle and Huskemaw scope you can shoot them from Idaho to Wyoming no problem!

:-D

My favorite gun of all times was a 30-378 in an Acumark. I love the flat trajectory and the way the 180 bullet cut through the wind. The bad thing is it had alot of recoil by but I add a mercy tube and a decelerator pad it tamed the recoil alot. It came with a muzzle brake and had .25 cal recoil with that on it but I forgot to wear my ear plugs once and never shot it again with the brake. That's when I took it to the gun smith and had the brake removed and the other stuff added. To bad more people don't do this. I Had a few rough year early in my new business and it was a sad day when I had to sell it. I shoot my first rounds at 25 yard too!!

"Let's keep things in perspective.I mean for Peet's sake there are kids in Africa that don't even hunt....hello" Jimmy Big Time

Mywifeisdjosjdf, You realize all you have to do is twist to get the brake off an accumark, right?

By the sounds of the story we here in Wyoming won't have to worry...the rate there going they won't make it here....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom