Lookin for a bullet / powder combo

S

studpile

I have an old CVA sidelock with a .54 cal Green mountain barrel. I've used Thompson bullets with fairly good results, but starting them always mushes the top. It's a 1 in 48 twist so I don't know if the Powerbelts etc. are going to work good. Thought I'd get a little info before I spent a bunch of pesos on stuff that isn't going to work for me. Thanks in advance.

Are you talking about the MaxiHunters or the MaxiBalls from t/C with the tops being deformed?

If it's the MaxiHunters and you are colapsing that shallow hollowpoint, a solution you may consider is getting one of the T/C MaxiShock tools that you use instead of your ramrod tip during loading. It has four different type of tips that come with it to cut the bullet tip for different degrees of expansion.

Last I looked they had them on sale at Fox Ridge Outfitters for just under $10. They can be used with any lead bullet or roundball.

If it's the MaxiBalls it won't make any difference if the tip is mushed down, would still work well for penetration.

Tom Krupinski
Glendale, Arizona

Thanks, I thought there may be a gadget for that. Another problem is how tough they are to get started. That's why I was considering the Powerbelts or others, they seem to start easier.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom