Looking at buying used bowtech destroyer 350...couple questions

I'm just getting my start in archery hunting and I have a buddy who is selling a 2011 bowtech destroyer 350. The bow comes with tru-glo sights, tight spot quiver, drop away arrow rest, tru ball release and a dozen axis fmj arrows. He is asking $800 for it. The first question I have about this is if it is a good deal? My brother seems to think it is a little steep for a bow that is a couple years old and if it were for the bare bow I would agree 100%. However, I think that with all the nice accessories that are coming with it that it might actually be quite fair. What do you think? If you do think it is high what is the highest price you would be willing to pay for this setup.

My other question on this is whether or not this would be a suitable bow for a beginner. I've read that these lightning fast bows are harder for a beginner to shoot because any form errors are greatly magnified. I have a short 27" draw length so the 6" brace height might not affect me as much as it would a longer guy. If I start out with a bow this fast will I have a frustrating learning experience that would have been made much easier shooting a milder bow. I have heard that the bowtech destroyer has a lot more "forgiveness" than many other of the high performing bows in its class but I don't know. Any expert input would be appreciated.

Sounds reasonable to me. You can easily spend $500 on accessories, arrows, etc. before you even realize what you've done.

I just bought a radical twin cam bow and it is easier to shoot and more accurate that anything I have had in the past. All of those were very basic. I think the new bows these days are so much better than anything 10 years ago that all this nonsense about things like "forgiving" are mostly academic for hunters.

For serious target shooting this might be more important.

I believe in the hunting realm speed is a very important part of "forgiveness."

I am not a serious bow hunter and certainly not an authority on the issue. I bow hunt when I can't draw a rifle tag, which is becoming more and more frequent. You will get responses from much more knowledable individuals here.

I worried about these things six months ago prior to buying my new bow. I finally decided screw it and bought the radical twin cam 6" brace height, etc, etc. and am consistent to 90 yards. I could not shoot beyond 50 yards accurately with my old setup.

The most important thing is to shoot it all the time. I would say at least 3 times a week for most of the year. You do that and it won't matter what you shoot. Don't do that and it won't matter what you shoot...if you catch my drift.

$800 for the bow plus the accessories is a great deal. The bow itself can run anywhere between $750-$900 depending upong the condition. For the full setup like it is you could spend upwards of $1500. I wouldn't worry too much about the speed of the bow messing up your form. All you need to do is practice, practice, practice.... The form will take care of itself. Just make sure you have the Draw Length, Poundage, etc... set correctly for you and you shouldn't have any issues. I shoot the Bowteck Insanity CPX. I just bought the bow with a new quiver, rest, release and 1 doz Easton Axis arrows on January 12, 2013. I think you will be happy with the bow and set up.

Good Luck

I forgot to mention one thing guys. He recently had new strings put on this bow as well and that should add to the value also. I've shot a bunch of other bows and I'm not making a strong commitment to this particular bow, just weighing it as an option. I'll probably go fling a few arrows through it and get a better idea of how bad I do or do not want it then. Another option I'm heavily weighing is buying a new hoyt charger package.

It sounds like a good deal..imo the destroyer is the best bow the last few years...so good im getting the limited edition destroyer this year...

IMO, the 6" brace height is a non issue. I shoot my 6" as well as my 7". I never saw any sense in shooting a slow bow. Grab the speed and practice practice practice. I do agree that his price is on the high end of what he can get but if you like the way he has it set up, well, I suppose it might be worth it.

In theory, that is not a gret beginners bow, but everyone is different. You need to shoot it and other bows and decide what is best for you. You might shoot it really well, or you might hate it compared to something smoother, slower, longer and with more brace height. $800 is an OK deal. Not great, not bad. Bows depreciate like crazy. That bare bow is worth $400-500. Don't believe me, look on Archery Talk. Bare Destroyers all day long at $450. So is the rest of the stuff worth that much more? My bud just bought a nicely equipped Destroyer with hard case for $650, just no arrows. I'd try to get him down another $50 or so.

You should check out a Tomkat they have an 8 1/2 inch brace hieght and still plenty of speed and is bowtechs old budget bow. Would be a great starter bow.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom