Looking for a good back Country Elk outfitter

gahunter

LAST EDITED ON Sep-15-10 AT 06:06PM (MST)[p]Ok guys here's the deal. I turn 40 next year, and as a 40th birthday presant to myself I am going to treat myself to a true back country elk hunt. I would like to get your input as to any recomended outfitters. I will have three PP'S, going in to the 2011 draw. I am not into scores or anything of that nature, I am just looking for a better than average chance to shoot a bull, and experience a true back country hunt. Any advice or recomendations would be great guys. Thanks in advance, and I hope each and everyone of you has a great & successful fall.

"Easy now, keep the croshairs right behind his shoulder & squeeze the trigger"

I would look at going into the Thorofare south of Yellowstone. This is classed as Wilderness and there won't be a chain saw or generator anywhere there. It's a true wilderness adventure. Horseback ride will be 6 to 10 hours dependind on Outfitter.

There are a bunch of outfitters that hunt that area. Hidden Creek, Ishawooa, Butte Creek, Gary Fales, Bliss Creek, Ron Dube, Yellowstone and several others.Some come in from the Cody side and others from the Jackson side. Most are 60% to 70% successful on 5 X 5 or bigger elk and they take a big one occassionaly. Rifle season in that area usually around Sept 10, one of the few places you can hunt bugling bulls with a rifle. It's a General tag, which means a non-resident can draw it without any PP points if you draw for the Special tag. if you have three points you can draw the regular price tag. Cost probably $5,000 to $6,000.

Hope this helps, at least give you a starting point

That is a great starting point if you ask me.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

+1 on the thorofare country.
open creek drainage.
LOOONG horse back ride.
Lots of grizz
A lot of the country burned back in 88-89 yellowstone fire.
Can't go wromg there.

Just got back from a DIY elk hunt in the thorofare. I would definatley recommend that if you are looking for a true, high country wilderness hunt. It is the most spectacular place I've ever hunted.

Guys thanks for all the advice. This is a great starting point. What ever I decide on doing, one thing is for sure it will be a long wait until next fall. I'll post back on here with what I end up doing!

"Easy now, keep the croshairs right behind his shoulder & squeeze the trigger"

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom