Looking for a little advise. central/eastern MT

W

Woodro

The season hasn't started(except 900 lope)and already its been shortened. Last year in the middle of the season I was diagnosed with testicular cancer that had gotten into my lymph nodes. Had a good start to the season, just couldn't finish it up. Had my surgury, went through my chemo, and have gotten back into shape.

Have been scouting alittle up in the tooths and have some mulies figured out but not much for elk. Last week went in for my normal checks CT scan, blood draw, and they found another tumor. Havn't scheduled a date yet but, will be going under the knife within the next month and i'm trying to stretch it till the 18 or 20th.

Unable to hunt during the week do to the need of my vacation and sick days, and looking to some other locals that may be able to point me in some direction. I do have my 900 lope tag, general buck, and a 700-20 archery elk tag. Hoping to get out the first two weekends of the season and possibly this sunday for antelope. I would like to get into a nice bull hopefully 6x6 or better, i've killed up to 5x6. Never been into the breaks, And don't know if it will be worth my time to venture up there for the short time I have this season.

I'm located just west of Billings and wouldn't mind driving a little ways to hunt. And wouldn't mind talking it over, drinking a cold one.

It all started last year when I found a lump that showed up pretty dang quick. I couldn't believe it when I felt it. And to that, I would suggest everyone checkin their own nuts as well.

And if your curious what I am going to here is a link to the procedure I will be going under for. http://www.acor.org/TCRC/rplnd.html
Doc says, I will have to stay in the hospital for 7-10 days recovering and then a couple weeks at home and taking it easy after that. I guess that means no packing out meat.

If you have any questions related to hunting or TC feel free to ask. either post, or send a PM.

Thanks guys.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-24-07 AT 10:14PM (MST)[p]Wow, dude. I just checked my own based on your advise. That really sucks and I hope you get some hunting in. Last year, September 9, my mother was diagnosed with cancer and the rest of my fall was toast. Anyway I am from NC Montana and transplanted to WA. I don't know much about the hunting in your area, but just wanted to give you a shout out to hang tough. Bad analogy. Truly, best of luck, and you will be in our prayers.

PS - I took a look at the link. You are having a hell of a time. I will be taking a closer look at the family jewels more often. Man, good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for the words. Without Hunting and fishing, I don't think I could have the strength and attitude that I do. I love just getting out there. I was really looking forward to this season since there is a good chance I will be transfering to Oregon for work.

The last 2 years have been one hell of a ride. Started a new position over here, wife and I were expecting our first child, and then being diagnosed. I finished up chemo 20 days prior to the birth of our little girl, and even that brought some stress. The wife had some complications and after 19 hours of labor she ended up having a c-section. But, talk about a little miracle, she is awesome. Everything started looking good, possible furthering my career, and now at the same time, this dang tumor hits. On that link, my situation is the 3rd bullet from the top.

I just feel lucky for what I have, I have a beutifull daughter, a generous wife, and the outdoors. And even if I get out only a couple times, It may be one of the best seasons I have. Just being out there taking it all in and giving me something to think about when I'm stuck in that hospital bed.

What part of Oregon are you possibly heading to?

So are you going to be able to hunt the general season then, or are you under the knife before then? I may be able to help you out if you would be willing to drive a bit. I know some pretty decent areas north and west of you a few hours drive from Billings. I also have some contacts in Big Timber, too. Let me know.

Hang in there man! Your going to beat it. I can't help you with a hunting spot, as I am not from MT. Just wanted to send you a word of encouragement, and a prayer for you.

blacktail

Here is another echo of encouragement, stay strong and fight on. I will be waiting for your victory post. Our prayers are with you. Steve

Again thanks all. Trying to schedule it for the 18th of Sept. Gives me 3 weekends of hunting. And if i'm still here through the general, may be able to get a couple whities without having to work to hard. Although I'm waiting for the doc to call back, if he says I need it done earlier, well, so be it.

The positions in oregon will be either portland, eugene, or bend. I'm originally from there so it won't be a big change. Although I would love to stay in montana, but career and family comes first.

Once I have this surgury completed, I should be good to go on my fight. Less than 5-10% chance of having anything come back. So thats good. Its harder on my wife than anything. Life will go on.

I did try to upload some pics of some high country bucks from a couple weeks ago, but I can't figure it out. I believe there going to open up the forest again, and this is one option.

Talk to you all later. Thanks again.

Heres a couple pics of the same bucks. The one is pretty cool, you can see the shadow on the other buck. I've seen some bigger bucks up there, just not this year.

46d376241165e32f.jpg

46d3768412c677f1.jpg

tough through it and you will get a good season in yet. Don't let that damn disease stop you from doing the things you love to do because we only live once. I was in your shoes once myself and know how things get with that damn cancer. If you need someone to try and lift your spirts give me a PM. I hope the surgery goes well.
I am also from Wisconsin and i wish i could help you out some how.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom