Looking for good unguided moose hunt in ALASKA!

HunterHarry

Long Time Member
I am looking for a good unguided moose hunt in Alaska for '04. I am looking for an outfitter that offers a good drop hunt or float trip in the northwestern part of the state , the Galena, or Anvik, Inokko, or Yukon river areas in particular. I have spoken to Rick Townsend of "Aniak air guides", he hunts those rivers and sounds pretty reputable. I was told a guy named Buck Maxim runs good hunts out of Galena but I have not spoken to him yet. I had a great caribou hunt in the Mulchatna area a few years ago with Lake Clark Air, took big bulls and had great service, but some guide friends of mine in that area have told me that that area has been decimated by wolves and that it is also very hard to find any big caribou bulls anymore. This led me to look farther north ,where some outfitters have been still taking trophy moose and caribou. Any comments would be greatly appreciated! THANK YOU!! Harry Fitzpatrick

Harry,
You picked good areas. I hunted the Koyukuk River in '97...thought I was in moose heaven. In my case I put 600 gallons of gas in the jetboat took off from the Yukon River bridge...flew the meat back out of Galena @ $.28/lb. 900 mile boatride.

What do these "outfitters" charge for a hunt? Does their fee cover hauling the meat out? Do they include a boat? I'm cheap...I'm thinking you could Purchase in Fairbanks or Anchorage an inflatiable boat & 25 HP outboard, and fly them into Galena cheaper than using the "outfitter". Hunt the sloughs...call until you locate...Rambo hunt from there.

So many questions, I have a hard time helping you much. How many in your party? How may moose do you plan on taking? How much time do you have?

Harry
I have went self guided for Moose and Caribou several times out of Kotzebue. I have used Northwestern Aviation and recommend them highly. The number is 907-442 3525. Jim Rood is the owner and one of the two pilots. He has a few spots that he drops you off and you hunt for as long as you want. He is not an outfitter and supplies no gear."He may rent you a raft". The hunts for Moose and Caribou are different in that if you want to concentrate on Caribou you will be dropped off in the Migration there may be no Moose around. I have seen Caribou on my two Moose hunts although not large numbers.
The problem is that Jim does not like to take hunters! He has a full plate catering to villages and such and I think he regards hunters as problematic. The problems as he sees them include over-patroling by Game and Fish officers. On my last hunt we were actually visited by 3 different agencies Federal-State-and even highway patrol all while hunting about 60 miles from anywhere. Also he has had problems with what he regards as oversaturation by outfitters. I guess he has had outfitters drop hunters too close to his hunters.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom