looking for gps to buy

LAST EDITED ON Mar-14-10 AT 07:23PM (MST)[p]None of them are "easy". I'm pretty tech savy and have experimented with several different units. I settled on the Garmin Rhino 530. It's as easy to use as anything I have found, but if you're counting on it to save your butt in the back country, plan to spend a good 8 hours or so messing with it first. Take it to work, on a hike, fishing, or whatever and plot some points and try to find them again by only using the GPS.

Good luck. They can be very rewarding... but I would definately not describe any units I found as "easy".

LAST EDITED ON Mar-14-10 AT 07:32PM (MST)[p]Lots of options out there Huntermick. There are gps units that offer more basic features/functions and there are units that offer more advanced features.

Some things to consider...batterylife, waterproof, ability to install maps and with that how much internal memory the unit has and if you can add a memory card for additional memory. This is a good feature if you are planning to upload a lot of maps to your gps.

So it kind of boils down to what you need out if it. You might check out the Garmin E-trex series. They are small, lightweight, and may offer what you need. The baseline model starts around $75

BowHuntr

I've used a Garmin etrex Vista for years, and it works great. But a couple of my friends who keep up with the latest & greatest gadgets are recommending the DeLorme Earthmate PN-40.

http://www.amazon.com/DeLorme-Earth...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1268627192&sr=8-1

On the DeLorme, you can subscribe to their map library and get all the map downloads, satellite imagery and aerial photos you want for $30 a year. I think Garmin charges $100 for one or two states, but I don't know for sure since I've never bought any additional maps. I use my Garmin mainly for storing and finding waypoints, and for seeing how far it is back to camp, and for the electronic compass (very handy) . . . oh, and for seeing when sunset & sunrise are and what time it is (for determining legal shooting time). It still amazes me that I can stash my backpack or coat in the bushes, mark a waypoint, and be able to walk right back to it in the dark on the way back to camp. I never leave home without my gps. You will probably use more than you think.

-- Bob

Thanks for all your help.I was looking at the Garmin e-trex HCX can buy new for about 200.00 dollarss--Found a Garmin Rino 520 that comes with a 2 way radio so you can communicate with your partner its on e-bay for 225 buy now but it is a refurbished iam not sure about that.Iam lost when it come to gps systems,I hunt Idaho alot and trying to hunt Wyoming I guess i have to download maps of the state if i get a gps systems is that the way these thing work .Thanks again for all your help and information.

The Rino's by Garmin are nice if your hunting partner/party has them as well because you can see where everyone is at.

Like Bob mentioned some companies offer a service you can subscribe to that will allow you to get specific maps, or your other option is to purchase map software. Just be aware of how much memory or memory capability the gps has, as this will determine the amount and size of the maps you can upload to it.

If you are just looking for something that you can use to navigate with while out in the woods, and occasionally mark waypoints (wallows, springs, landmarks, etc...) an inexpensive baseline model will work. If you want something that doubles as a 2-way radio the Rino's are awesome. My wife bought me one last Christmas. They are great units.

BowHuntr

What series of rino did your wife get you does the gps work will in the woods also what about the 2 way radio did it work well also thanks.

She bought me the Rino 130. It's been great so far. Don't have any complaints. GPS receiver works great. The two-way radio works good too. I use mine in UT and CO from about 8,500-10,000 feet in fairly rough terrain, and it has performed great.

BowHuntr

Just got the Cabelas flyer from the local store and they have the garmin 60csx on sale for $200. Thats a real deal!!

Garmin units period. I have an ancient 76S that is the old monochrome type screen. I have a buddy with a newer model of it and another with an E trex. What I now want is a small unit that just reads out the UTM coords to me and lets me plot that on my USGS 7.5 minute map.

Pat C.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom