Looking for mule deer help on this years bow season

wcjhnsn1

Military guy moved to NM 2 years ago. This will be my first fall/winter not being deployed so I'm trying to decide what units to put in for the bow season. Most interested in units 34, 32, 33 for ease of travel. Last years draw results has me guessing I'll get a tag for any of those. I'll probably do most hunting in Jan.

32/33 seems like spot/stalk land, which I've never done. 34 seems like an area I could set up a climber (much more familiar with) but also looks like it gets a on of pressure. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help fellas!

I hunted 32 a couple years when I first pcsd here myself. The unit is very big and has a lot of ground to it. I found a few bachelor groups early season but missed out on the Jan hunt due to a tdy. If you put in your time scouting and glassing it can pay off for you. I can't speak about the othe two units other than they have produced good deer. Shoot me a pm if you have any more questions.

If you are stationed out here, get used to the idea of spot and stalk. Leave the climber and stand at home.

These are not premium deer units, but, beautiful country, and great place to learn to glass and find animals.

Not a dense population, and you can do some scouting on your time off. Enjoy your time out here. Great place to be stationed.

Hello fellow servicemen, to tell you the truth I have never heard of anyone killing a mule deer in Jan from a tree stand. Mule deer are rarely patternable. Especially in JAN when they are still chasing does. Best thing to do is spot and stalk this will improve your chances than waiting in a tree. Some years it's been colder than heck u will freeze if your not moving around. Good luck on the draw. I heard that we as Vets get some kind of discount this year. I will find out soon when I apply.

I will tell you right now to cross 34 OFF your list!! That unit is a waste of time IMO!!! Great elk unit, and has tons of does, but is hurting pretty bad for bucks! Unless you know somebody who has a ranch that you can hunt or somebody lets you in on some info where to find them.....don't waste your time. 32 and 33 are good units and hold lots of deer. Will definitely be a bit of glassing and stalking, but hold some good bucks!!

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like a good amount of public land west of 285 and some north of 70 along the Pecos in 32. Seem like a good place to start scouting this summer?

I bow hunted 36 in Jan a couple years ago. Intel here is spot on, I think 34 and 36 are both great for elk, but you are going to struggle to find and kill a good mule deer in either unit. Someone scratches a few decent ones out of them every year, but not the norm.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom