Looking for new deer rifle.

schoolhousegrizz

Very Active Member
Just looking for some opinions and advice. I have had a 300 short mag and a 270 short mag. Out of the two I like the 270 better. Don't like The Recoil of the 300. The 270 seemed like it lacked the bullet selection to shoot longer ranges. I'm thinking a 260 or a 6.5 Creedmoor. I might keep my 300 short mag and use it for elk and Bear. What do you guys think? Also what do you think about a 260 or 6.5 Creedmoor for Elk or bear at ranges over 400 yards?

"Also what do you think about a 260 or 6.5 Creedmoor for Elk or bear at ranges over 400 yards?"

Uh, no

That said, I would put my 270 win. up against any 6.5 creedmoor out there close or far ranging for a deer. Don't know much about a 270 wsm but imagine it might do a little better. So, if you just have to get a new gun in an exciting new caliber, then go for it. Its your nickel, and both of those will be superb deer rifles, but doesn't seem to me to be a real need there.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

You've already got a 300 WSM!

Use it!

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

I've come to terms that I am just not comfortable with the recoil on my 300. It's a fairly light gun and it never did shoot as good as my 270 maybe cuz of the recoil?

Have you thought about putting a muzzle break on the 300? They are loud but they sure work to reduce recoil.

What about a .257 "something" for deer? Are you asking rifle cartridge or rifle caliber?

Just clarifying because according to some I don't know the difference when somebody says they are looking for a new rifle and I get confused because nomenclature is important...

Sorry, I digress.

>What about a .257 "something" for
>deer? Are you asking
>rifle cartridge or rifle caliber?
>
>
>Just clarifying because according to some
>I don't know the difference
>when somebody says they are
>looking for a new rifle
>and I get confused because
>nomenclature is important...
>
>Sorry, I digress.

I just stick to "gun" :D

I have a tikka 6.5 creedmore shoots factory ammo 1/4? moa. Thinking of selling... if you are interested. That being said I picked up a 6.5 prc last year. It's my favorite rifle, round I've ever owned. Shoots 140 eld @ 3,000 Fps, light recoil, same type accuracy as the tikka creed. 6.5 bullet selection is as good as it gets.

6.5 is way over hyped!
My .270 has killed 2 bull elk 2 buck antelope 2 buck deer.
I haven't shot my .338 since I won the .270!

37205hornkiller.jpg

Buy a 6.5 and don't look back. If you really want a few people on here to cry themselves to sleep, go with the Creedmoor.

My Son started Shooting/Hunting with His 300 WSM at age 14 & He only Weighed 75 lbs!

No Brake!

But We did put a LimbSaver Kick Pad on it!

So I'm Sure You can Shoot it!

Quit YANKIN the F'N Trigger!:D

Every rifle has its own feel. I always suggest find a rifle you can shoot. If you like it buy it or buy the same rifle. Different calibers feel different in different chassis or stocks. Different weights lengths of pulls trigger etc. A 6.5 maybe a little light as a elk rifle in some situations. But if you are flinching and not shooting a large magnum well. Your better with the 6.5 Prc or whatever. But it depends on the rifle. My current go to rifle is a custom build 300 Tejas. It kicks less then most 270. It weighs 12 pounds and has a muzzle break with a high quality recoil pad. If you have a friend or someone that has a rifle that can take you shooting. That you may like. If you our in my area I'll let you try out a few. Good luck finding your new rifle.

Sell them both and buy a 7MM I'd say if you want more bullet selection and a gun to shoot both animals that doesn't have the recoil of a 300 WSM. That or put a break on the 300. Or just shoot the bullets available in the 270 WSM at both deer and elk (sell the 300 and get an awesome scope for the 270).

I went with the 6.5. I'll let you guys know how it shoots. I killed two deer 2 Elk and an antelope with a 300, it was a good gun. But I noticed I wasn't as calm as I could be or should be right before the shot was breaking. When I was hunting I never noticed it but I did at the range. And at the range is where you get your confidence and I didn't have confidence in it like I did the 270 short mag. Thanks guys.

Several options for the 300 other than a muzzle brake if you decide to shoot it more in the future.

For the range get a lead sled but don't put any weights in it. It can break the rifle if it has no place to recoil but the sled by itself absorbs the majority of the recoil at the range. So you can shoot it comfortably at the range. Then as you say, you don't notice it when shooting at game

Also use a SIMs recoil pad. They really work. You can either use a strap on to the shoulder kind or replace your rifles recoil pad with a SIMs but pad

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

If you don't like the recoil of your 300, why would you keep it?

I like the suggestion of selling it and getting a 7mm. I'm usually not a fan of selling guns, but if you have one you don't shoot well or don't like to shoot because of the recoil, why keep it?

7mm is a great all around fun for everything you'd be looking for.

There are plenty of good bullets for your 270WSM. What are you currently shooting in it? I'd recommend the 150gr Berger VLD hunting, 150gr Nosler Accubond long range or regular 140gr Nosler Accubonds. If you want lead free the Hammer bullets are great.

That 270 WSM is a hammer thor with 150gr Berger?s...

You already have everything you need keep the rifle!!!

I don't have the 270 anymore I was shooting 140 grain accubond. It had the boss system on it and it ended up screwing up the Barrel. I would have still had it and been using it if it would have never got ruined. I decided to go with a 300 for something a little bigger once my 270 got ruined. Never was a big fan of 300.

Schoolhouse its all about you. You need to get it right in you head. Whatever it takes. But finding that sweet rifle that fits you and you can shoot great is a awesome feeling. But really it all starts in your head. I have a daughter that I eased into shooting . Then moved her up to big guns like 50 calibers and 408 . She knew they wouldn't hurt her and she has always been a great shot ! Never developed a flinch . Even shooting her hand me down great grandpas light weight 300 Weatherby. I think its a worse kicking sob then a couple of the big 50 calibers ! The 6.5 and great accurate light recoiling round. I think thats a great place to start. I am thinking about getting a 6.5 PRC for my next center fire rifle. Enjoy shooting your new rifle !

>I don't have the 270 anymore
>I was shooting 140 grain
>accubond. It had the boss
>system on it and it
>ended up screwing up the
>Barrel. I would have still
>had it and been using
>it if it would have
>never got ruined. I decided
>to go with a 300
>for something a little bigger
>once my 270 got ruined.
>Never was a big fan
>of 300.

Well that's a bummer. What exactly happened to it?
The 300 will be plenty of rifle for anything in the US. I would recommend at least 165/180gr bullets. If factory ammo if choose a few different types and let the rifle tell you what it likes. If handloading the there are many great available bullets.

Shoot the 300 out if a lead sled at the range, and go hunting. Also, i wouldnt shoot those lighter rounds over 400,or less than 400 for that matter at elk. Just my opinion though.

>Shoot the 300 out if a
>lead sled at the range,
>and go hunting. Also, i
>wouldnt shoot those lighter rounds
>over 400,or less than 400
>for that matter at elk.
>Just my opinion though.

Lead sleds are IMO nothing but JUNK. Highly recommend not using one especially with weight. They break stocks, scopes and are a pain to get a good comfortable cheek weld with. Use a good front rest and rear bag or a bipod and rear bag setup.

BIGJOHN calls the 6.5's ManBunGuns!

If You Think that 300 Kicks!

Let BIGJOHN pull the BIG BOY Out & Try that Thing!

My 16 year old daughter shoots a Weatherby .308 and occasionally my 30-06 Springfield. She likes the .308 because it has less recoil. All depends on the perspective...

Train with your rifle, recoil is your friend. It means you have the power to knock that deer over and put it out of its misery with no tracking needed.

Adds a limbsaver recoil pad to the .300. Does the rifle have a synthetic stock? If so, remove the recoil pad and 1.5 lbs or so of putty inside the stock. You can remove it if needed. This will add weight to the gun and reduce recoil.

The 6.5 creed gets a lot of flack for its popularity but it flat out shoots. I was a 300 RUM or nothing guy in my younger days before I really started to learn ballistics and and took to competitive long range shooting. Between myself, family, friends and clients I've witnessed probably 30 plus biggame animals; 13 elk now. Harvested with 6.5mm?s. Majority of them with the 6.5 creedmoor, 6.5x284 norma and 6.5x47 lapua out to ranges that aren't worth mentioning here. Not saying magnums aren't great elk medicine, but in my opinion a gun I can comfortably put 500 plus rounds a year through and can very easily pick my spots at ranges I've practiced hundreds of times is a much more ethical elk rifle than a 30 cal magnum that so often gets dusted off the week before season and maybe gets a few 2in groups shot through it at 100 yards before heading up the mountain by the average joe.... just my .02

Coloradoboy

Go buy yourself a Marlin bolt action 10 gauge Super Goose Gun and shoot a box of shells through it. You won't be bothered with the recoil from your 300wsm again.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom