Looking for pack goats

30plus

A buddy and me are kicking around the idea of getting a pair of goats for packing. I have property with plenty of room for them. I would not mind having one around just to help with weed control. I know there are a few of you guys with goats for packing and would like to talk with a couple of you and get an idea of pros and cons. I already have horses but hunt/hike alot along wasatch front in some areas without trails or water for the horses and sometimes they just aren't as convenient.

Thanks for any help
Dave

LAST EDITED ON Apr-11-04 AT 06:47PM (MST)[p]Dave, I think a couple of old sheep would be much more to your liking. I know how you spanish guys are. Bair

Dave-I have 6 pack goats, all weathers, and use them for the same purpose as you would. 2 of the goats came from breeders who sold them as pack stock and to be honest they are my poorest packers. Goats are a couple years old before you can put a 30# load on them so you might want to look for mature animals. When you find a prospect stick a dog collar on him and if he follows with out putting the brakes on chances are good that he will work for you. Most good pack goats that I have been around were bottle fed-bonded to humans. Don't have goats with horns and without horns mixed together. I prefer goats with out horns even though they don't look as cool. Goats that are barn potatoes will slow you down but when they are in shape they can do alot of work. 30# is a good load if you want to do 10 miles of rough country in a day. I hope this helps if you decide to become a goat man! Good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom