looking for your honey hole!

S

southmountain

screw it how many times have we read "not looking for your honey hole" scew it I am ! Just kidding but am looking for advise on cow hunts in northern Co public or private but cheap. Just a good area to kill a cow . Thanks

Take 1054 up to bitter root draw. Walk 150 pace west then look for the bald trees up on the far ridge when ya see them turn around and you'll see duck rock half way up the hill. Walk straight at it and when ya get to the clearing you'll have arrived. Grab a seat and wait for the cattle to come in to the stock tank.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-11 AT 02:40AM (MST)[p]haha good stuff. I won't give you a honey hole but I'll point you in a good direction. Try and pick yourself up a late season (December) or landowner cow tag in areas 11/211,3/301 or if you're willing to make the drive area 10. One of the, if not the Largest migration corridor in the lower 48 with the White RIver and Bear's Ear's herds all converging in those general areas come winter. Always an easy pickin's hunt private or public.
Coloradoboy

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-11 AT 07:59AM (MST)[p]>LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-11
>AT 02:40?AM (MST)

>
>haha good stuff. I won't give
>you a honey hole but
>I'll point you in a
>good direction. Try and pick
>yourself up a late season
>(December) or landowner cow tag
>in areas 11/211,3/301 or if
>you're willing to make the
>drive area 10. One of
>the, if not the Largest
>migration corridor in the lower
>48 with the White RIver
>and Bear's Ear's herds all
>converging in those general areas
>come winter. Always an easy
>pickin's hunt private or public.
>
>Coloradoboy

I agree. If you are looking for an easy, high percentage hunt, this is the way to go. The later, the better. If you want to actually get out of the truck and hunt and not just see them standing around in the open, then go earlier and stay a little higher, but your chances of success will be less. Cross Mtn. in unit 11 is public land and has resident elk, but is best late season when the migratory elk arrive. It is mostly pinon-juniper with some open areas with sage and grass. If you get too much snow though, access could be a problem. You would need a plan B.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-11 AT 09:54AM (MST)[p]Well put Cohuntr. Cross Mountain can be a good bet. The migration has been rather hit or miss the past couple of years in the 3rd and 4th season. There are so many variables and it just seems like those elk don't get out in that country heavy until December 1st at the earliest anymore. Sometimes in happens in the 4th season but Its just been slow the last 5 years that I can remember. You could also make a fun hunt in december out around Godiva Rim Country just north of Maybell in area 3. Late season is alot less crowded than the general seasons and you will most likely see alot more elk.
Coloradoboy

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-11
>AT 09:54?AM (MST)

>
>Well put Cohuntr. Cross Mountain can
>be a good bet. The
>migration has been rather hit
>or miss the past couple
>of years in the 3rd
>and 4th season. There are
>so many variables and it
>just seems like those elk
>don't get out in that
>country heavy until December 1st
>at the earliest anymore. Sometimes
>in happens in the 4th
>season but Its just been
>slow the last 5 years
>that I can remember. You
>could also make a fun
>hunt in december out around
>Godiva Rim Country just north
>of Maybell in area 3.
>Late season is alot less
>crowded than the general seasons
>and you will most likely
>see alot more elk.
>Coloradoboy

You're probably right about the Godiva Rim area. It's good for elk and deer. Yeah, the 3rd season is usually too early for migration elk on places like Cross Mtn. We hunted there 3rd season '07 and saw a few resident animals, but killed nothing. We saw 2 legal bulls the afternoon before the season started, but only a spike and cows after. Like you said, 4th season at the earliest for the migration.

Don't ever think these elk will stand around on the edge of a road and let ya shoot at um. They are friggen smart and by the late season they have been hunted for months. They get real spokey and you will need to hunt um like anything else. I've talked to many hunters expecting herds of elk to be standing near some road only to go home empty handed cuz all they did was road hunt. I believe someone had some LO tags forsale in Unit 1. Unit 1 is a tough hunt in the late season, heck even for the early season for that matter can be tough, UNLESS pvt land can be accessed. I do believe in unit 2 or 201 there is a decent shot at getting a tag too with some good hunting on public land. Later is better but also great potiental for tougher conditions to hunt in too and we all know how elk can handle deep snow.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

I actually watched a group shoot 2 bulls and 2 cows from basically their camp 3rd season. Offered to give them a hand and they refused and we went on our way, when we came back a cpl hours later the 5th guy had shot a muley buck while quartering one of the elk... Everything fell with 200yds of camp and 300 of a well traveled rd. From what I've seen while scouting muleys is the pressure pushes them to private tracts, but they mess up and drop down a little too far on occasion. They herd we've been watching should get a dent put in it this season if they're still up to the same ol' stuff.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom