Lookout Mt

P

pronghorn2

My wife and I drew deer tags for Lookout Mountain this fall. Has anyone hunted this unit in the past? What is the terrain like?
Thanks

Yup.....if you have no private lands and dont know anything about lookout mtn, can I ask why did you apply for it? You better do ALOT of scouting if you dont want to get arrested for tresspassing. The land owners WILL call the law on you.

Its a good unit, but deer numbers are way down, and best deer hunting is on private. Good luck and post pics

I had a friend that lived in OR about ten years ago when we started getting points, but have lost contact with him now. We kept getting points, then with the prices going up we were unsure if we should keep on or dropout. At the last minute we thought we should give it a try and just picked Lookout Mt. We have hunted alot but not mulies and I seen that a third of the unit was public land so we going to give it a try. Its over 1400 miles from our dairy farm to Lookout Mt so scouting isnt going to be happening. We will work hard and hope for the best!

Best of luck to ya! As BlueMTadventures said watch out for private property! Some places won't even be posted and they expect you to know it even if its not! They will ticket you, even if its NOT posted...

Good luck to ya and kill a biggin!

muleyman

A dairy farmer who hunts with his wife traveling 1400 miles and willing to work hard for a buck,you got me,I'll help. PM me your plans, if you are camping, how long you have, if you can come early. You'll do fine.

Lots of private ground.. some of it you can get on if you know the landowner or ask permission. Beautiful country with some good bucks! wish i could hunt it again! Good luck to ya

Thanks, we are really looking forward to going as it has been alongtime in coming! My wife does some photography and she is looking to take some pictures.

I spent the last 16 years bird hunting the unit know it pretty well. I had the deer tag 2 years ago but the unit was down from when I started to try and get the tag 6 years prior. Good bucks are few and far between but there are some you need real good optics and should be able to shoot out to 500 yards in real steep terain. Be patient the guys on atv's will drive you nuts most of them wont hike to the bathroom so they shoot the first 3 point they see. Get the blm surface maps for Baker City and Brogan that will cover the whole unit then get the topos to match. once you get some maps hit me up and I can give you a place to start. [email protected]

This is one of the best years for horn growth in eastern ore. There is a 9x13 nontypical wide horned buck on this unit as i speak, but I have no tag. Hunt hard don't shoot a small one. Good luck, you may never see him but he is there.!!!

Thanks again guys! I have the topo maps, but not the surface maps. 9x13 nontypical I would shoot him!

I was over in that area scouting last weekend and the deer numbers are down quite abit from when I was there 2 years ago. We did see lots of mothers with twins so that is a good sign going forward.

Back
Top Bottom