Looks Like Forest Service is Ready to Enforce

caelkhnter

Very Active Member
So heads up to all those getting ready to head out to the Coconino National Forest. This is now posted on the Coconino website:

NOTICE TO HUNTERS

Parking or reserving camping locations by leaving trailers, motorhomes, tents and other property is prohibited. Property left on the forest unoccupied is considered abandon after 72 hours. Title 36 Code of Federal Regulation (CFR) 261.10(e)
Tree stands are permitted if they do not cause resource damage i.e. cutting limbs, putting nails and bolts into trees or any other permanent alteration/injury to trees or surrounding vegetation. Tree stands need to be removed after daily use. Tree stands left unoccupied for any extended period of time is prohibited. Title 36 CFR 261.9(a) and 262.13.
Currently there is no specific regulation regarding game cameras left in the forest. The FS does are not recommend leaving any property in the forest. Game cameras have been frequently reported stolen and after 72 hours they are considered abandon property.

The enforcement for leaving campers is nothing new. I've come back to camp twice that I remember to find warnings taped to my trailer. Not sure why Rangers are surprised to see a hunters camp empty all day every day, not like we're out hunting or anything...

You can't camp just anywhere any longer unless you carry it in. If you use a vehicle to get it in there, there are designated roads and places to camp on the forest services new map (must obtain from them (B&W printed) map stores don't have them) not the old ones you have that are colored. That will create issues where guys are going to drop things and leave them to get a good spot, like has been done for years. These aren't hunter friendly rules boys wake up and smell the coffee. Tree stands removed daily. Think you may make a little noise setting that up early in the dark!!

Remember in NOVEMBER, no matter what anybody tells you they're restricting your usage of your forest and the forest service takes it's direction from Washington...... The Democrats are restricting things boys and if you don't like it you'll give up and they win. Access to BLM lands, forest lands, all are tightening up under MR Obama. It's time TO WAKE UP BOYS!!!!

DID anybody contact or ask you if you'd like this done? NO so the old back doors being used on you!!

Sorry boys but the only way you're going to stop this nonsense is to vote the guys out of office that are doing it to you. YOU have to vote and calling may do some good, but realisticly if they were concerned about what you thought they would have made it more public and asked you it's just that simple. BUT they didn't, did they? Make sure you vote!!

I just got off the phone with the FS and they are also going to enforce the 14 day time limit at camp spots. IF you are going up ealry plan on leaving the forest for a day and comoing pback to sey up camp again if you are not lucky to get one early.
I also agree with your post!!!!!

I agree Boskee vote. If you want more predators, less hunting, trapping, and more restrictions on use of our forest lands do nothing.

We need to be responsible, but common. Take tree stands out daily. No removable foot pegs.

Those rules are nothing new. Enforcement has been very selective. I've seen it enforced rarely several years ago.

After 14 days on the forest you can't just leave for a day and come back. I'm pretty sure the rule states the limit is 14 days every 30 days.....

As far as the new travel management BS, the Coconino Forest issued tickets last week to some hunters who went off road to retrieve game.

bet there will be a an increase in wasted meat!

....."You mean I cant's drive down there to get my elk? Well screw that...I'll just take them big ol' antlers and call it a day! YeeHaw!!!! C'mon Bubba....let's go get er' done and get my big rack! Coyotes gotta eat too!"....

Boy I sure disagree with these "new rules." Tree stands removed daily--though they didn't address ground blinds--bet they believe you need to move them daily too!

Trail cams "abandoned" after 72 hours, camps too! You got to be kidding!

I do know that some folks park a trailer in a spot at the start of the archery hunt and leave it through the November general bull hunt in Units like 6A, BUT why not deal with that kid of issue on a case by case basis, instead of this draconian "One size fits all" rule?

Sorry, I understand the USFS "Mission" but some of this is just crap!

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

I was in unit 7 west and saw about 15 hunters camped about 300 yards off the road also in 6A my buddy said everone was camping way off the road and he talk to a forest service guy said he thought it was bullshit he wasnt going to inforce it he was off off stoman lake road .

I was in 5BS two weekends before Labor Day scouting and saw quite a few trailers that were parked and no one around no chairs or tables set outside as if someone was there. Most likely getting their campsites before Labor Day one trailer had been there from the weekend before. Now that Hunting season is about to open the post this "Old Order" on their Website. Seems to me a little odd.
It will be intersting after this archery Elk Hunt what stories will come about.

Yes, I too have talked to a few ranger that are against this, but the one that isn't catches you, is it worth the fines and hassle. They are out to Shut us Hunters who pay more of their wages thgan anybody else and who support conservation and do things about more than any "Hippie" ever thought of doing.

Also Gov't, what about our economy it's Down? We hunters bring more money to local communities in gas groceries and hunting supplies than yu are creating jobs. BLow off time Thank You!
Good luck to all>

Zuki, in some units it's now ILLEGAL to go off road for any game retrieval it depends on what forest you're hunting in. THE RULES ARE DIFFERENT IN EVERY FOREST and their maps are different,... wonder if that was done to confuse people?

You guys need to make sure what you're doing is OK, like AZROD said the one that's not supportive is the one that's going to smile when they write you up!

So it's just starting to dawn on many of you that the rules are changing! Well folks they have been changing for a while now but it's time to stop the insanity.

Paul Ryan the Republican candidate for VP is a hunter with gun and BOW. If you want to stop this crap you have to give them the power to change the rules back.

The special interest groups & green lobby which the dems give federal grants to help fund (YOUR TAX DOLLARS) have been working 24/7 to eliminate your hunting in any way possible. HSUS, CBD, WWF. WWO, Sierra Club, Fund for Animals & a few other antihunting groups have all recieved grants from the OBAMA administration. When was the last time the Democratic party passed any legislation to protect your right to hunt or fish or use our forests? Look hard boys cause it hasn't been in the last 20 years!! So see what they've been doing to us one domino at a time. and the DEMS have been working behind closed doors restricting your access, making it illegal to discharge a firearm on BLM & Forest Sevice lands in some areas, working to try to turn the KAIBAB INTO A NAT"L PARK where you can't hunt are all coming around to bite us.

If you don't like the ways things are going you can't keep putting them in office it's just that simple. You have to register to vote and get up off your azz and do something!! Apathy has allowed them to take control of the situation so you have to make an effort to change that. If you vote them (DEMS) in office for another 4 years they're going to take more of your rights to hunt away.

Stop listening to what they say and look at what they've done. Here in AZ. HSUS OPPOSED our prop 109 a bill the Republicans put on the ballot to protect your right to hunt and fish. We were the only state out of 5 that had it on the ballot where it lost. The anti's funded over $1,000,000 million dollars in misleading ads to influence voters to vote against it!!!

Remember in November and if you like to hunt the time has come for you to step up with your fellow sportsmen and vote for the party that actually protected your rights to hunt. I realize that's going to be a hard thing for some of you to do but if you don't like how things are going it's going to get a lot more difficult in the future. It's going to get harder for you and your kids to hunt on land you don't personally own in AZ. Ironic isn't it because YOU actually own the forests & BLM lands that they're restricting your access to! So who's fibbing to you and like Don Martin said it would have been far easier to enforce the laws rather than restrict your access, but that wouldn't discourage you or make it harder for you to hunt now would it? Now do you see what they're doing.......wake up boys!!!

Boskee;
Well said on Point. Times are changing. I was born here and have hunted in the Kingman area and Flag for 50 years and have had some wonderful times, it's sad to see it going in a different direction, but I am going to go out with my grandson's first Bull tag and we are not going to let these #@#$%^^ ruin our hunt any more than they have already done.

Has anyone been in 5BS this last weekend and hear any activity?

Chuck Norris for PRES.

Rather than "times a changing" you might want to think about those that have abused the regulations resulting in the recent enforcement crack down. Yes as hunters and sportsman we do pay the lions share, but that does not mean we should get special priviledges. Regarding the 30 foot rule I agree they should mark more of the old camping spur roads as open for camping. This new rule will only exasperate the early trailer drop off to secure spots and competitiveness for camping spots. My 2cents

Big Tom I think you're confusing enforcement with access issues. We asked them to enforce ATV laws in several meetings yet were told they didn't have the manpower to do so.

We don't close down our freeways because we have speeders do we? The fact they choose to limit your ability to access large blocks of the forest & close roads open for decades unless afoot supports limiting access was the path they chose. The point was even made by hot shots that the roads needed to remain open for ease in fighting fires.

>So heads up to all those
>getting ready to head out
>to the Coconino National Forest.
> This is now posted
>on the Coconino website:
>
> NOTICE TO HUNTERS
>
> Parking or
>reserving camping locations by leaving
>trailers, motorhomes, tents and other
>property is prohibited. Property left
>on the forest unoccupied is
>considered abandon after 72 hours.
>Title 36 Code of Federal
>Regulation (CFR) 261.10(e)
> Tree stands
>are permitted if they do
>not cause resource damage i.e.
>cutting limbs, putting nails and
>bolts into trees or any
>other permanent alteration/injury to trees
>or surrounding vegetation. Tree stands
>need to be removed after
>daily use. Tree stands left
>unoccupied for any extended period
>of time is prohibited. Title
>36 CFR 261.9(a) and 262.13.
>
> Currently there
>is no specific regulation regarding
>game cameras left in the
>forest. The FS does are
>not recommend leaving any property
>in the forest. Game cameras
>have been frequently reported stolen
>and after 72 hours they
>are considered abandon property.

Yes there is the ones that have abused the laws and when seen should be reported. Maybe if the FS had really been doing their JOBS over the last 50 years some of these violaters would of been caught, but no now they need to correct the issues due to their poor management over the years, They tell us these laws have neen written for years, in my last 30yrs hunting 5BN&S none of the rangers EVER brought this up and I have been guilty of leaving my camp there a week ahead.I feel this way they FS can control the area with less running around and expence and know where everyone is and what they are doing.

I wonder of the recovery issue as to the percentage harvested in units addresed and the hunters taking care of not tearing the country up as to which I belive 90% do as to how much damage is really done? I can't see it myself I guess my eyes are going to!

Like was mentioned earlier quit my BI@$#$%^ and vote for change.

>>So heads up to all those
>>getting ready to head out
>>to the Coconino National Forest.
>> This is now posted
>>on the Coconino website:
>>
>> NOTICE TO HUNTERS
>>
>> Parking or
>>reserving camping locations by leaving
>>trailers, motorhomes, tents and other
>>property is prohibited. Property left
>>on the forest unoccupied is
>>considered abandon after 72 hours.
>>Title 36 Code of Federal
>>Regulation (CFR) 261.10(e)
>> Tree stands
>>are permitted if they do
>>not cause resource damage i.e.
>>cutting limbs, putting nails and
>>bolts into trees or any
>>other permanent alteration/injury to trees
>>or surrounding vegetation. Tree stands
>>need to be removed after
>>daily use. Tree stands left
>>unoccupied for any extended period
>>of time is prohibited. Title
>>36 CFR 261.9(a) and 262.13.
>>
>> Currently there
>>is no specific regulation regarding
>>game cameras left in the
>>forest. The FS does are
>>not recommend leaving any property
>>in the forest. Game cameras
>>have been frequently reported stolen
>>and after 72 hours they
>>are considered abandon property.

Listen PEOPLE fellow HUNTERS You better wake up, this not about roads camping, tree stands, none of that. It is backed by radical tree huggers that are going after you hunting and fishing rites. The only Gov agency that agrees with this is the Forest service. County, Game and Fish, Sheriff Office, Judges, None of these people are going to support this. We need to fight, and fight the way Unions fight, find who the Forest service Managers homes are and go to there homes and do everything to harass them harass there family, anything that is legal. We need to fight or we will lose the right to hunt. I am old and this hits me more than anybody. Yes there are young people that think this will help them, but they really just don't understand whats a stake here. I am a native Arizonan 71 years, this is my right to hunt fish and use the national Forrest. You better listen to me this is WAR you better fight, and don't fight fare, just fight.

Well, I suppose they could have gone the other route and started paving trails so access with one's hover'round is a cinch.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-12 AT 04:27PM (MST)[p]Wardhunter That's not the solution. These guys are employess just like many others are and many of them don't like the changes. Harassing them is only going to play into the other sides hands. We have to do it the right way and we can't be getting in peoples faces because they'll write up incident reports and that will create more grief. Tempers flaring will lead to fists flying and forest service is federal land so then you'll have federal agents going after you. We have to complain through the forest service call the forest service number and let them know your complaint in a civil manner.

Then use your veto power at the polls. Fights cause cameras and cameras with a anti hunting press isn't a good thing since we'll look like a bunch of law breaking hot heads. I'm as mad as you about this but the vote is the most powerful tool you have in this so use it wisely. If we call the forest service and they get enough complaints they may amend things but do it the right way... the other way will cost us more in the end!!

Mr. Ward (Rod?), Boskee offers some great advice.

Also just for the record, hunting in NOT a right, it is a privilege.

I too understand the frustration with all of these restrictions but like many have said, we got to keep our emotions in check when and if you meet the USFS people.

Don Martin
AWO

I thought it was you, but oops...glad you are on here. What a mess that these USFS rules have made.

You got any tags this year?

My grandson has his first AZ big game tag, a rifle pig in Unit 18B in Nov. Grandpa and his dad are going to take him out.

Don

Yes, Tanner my grandson and cousin Donnie and I have 5BS Bull tags and 16A DEER. wAS GOING UP SAT TO SET UP BUT NOW i THINK NOT TILL tHURSDAY. gOOD LUCK TO YOU GUYS

Same thing here. Talked to a forrest service guy on stoneman lake road this afternoon. He said all of his coworkers were pissed about it and none of them want to enforce it. Said the are being VERY lenient about it. Which I noticed with most of the camps being farther off the road than 300 feet and some of them on closed roads.

>I was in unit 7 west
>and saw about 15 hunters
>camped about 300 yards off
>the road also in 6A
> my buddy said everone
>was camping way off the
>road and he talk to
>a forest service guy said
>he thought it was bullshit
>he wasnt going to inforce
>it he was off off
>stoman lake road .

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?
square-large-sec.gif

FYI

NEWS RELEASE
U.S. Dept. of Agriculture
U.S. Forest Service
Coconino National Forest
www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino
www.twitter.com/CoconinoNF
www.flickr.com/photos/coconinonationalforest

For Immediate Release
Aug. 28, 2012

Public Affairs Contacts:
Brady Smith, Coconino National Forest, 928-527-3490
Brienne Magee, Flagstaff Ranger District, 928-527-8290
Connie Birkland, Red Rock Ranger District, 928-203-7505

Cross-country travel causing resource damage on national forest

Flagstaff, AZ ? With the beginning of hunting season, more hunters and motorists are frequenting Coconino National Forest and scouting for good locations?both for camping and for hunting.

Many visitors are still unaware of the Travel Management Rule, which began in May that established a primary network of open roads for traversing the forest, prohibiting motorized cross-country travel in order to protect the natural resource.

On Friday, the first day of deer hunting season for archers, Coconino NF officials received many phone calls from the public regarding hunters and motorists who were driving in an area prohibited to motor vehicle use. With the recent monsoon activity and rain, the vehicles became stuck and caused considerable resource damage in a sensitive meadow area.

Law enforcement officers responded to a meadow just west of A-1 Mountain, where six individuals were given 10 citations for violations such as driving cross-country in a closed area and causing resource damage.

Forest officials urge hunters and motorists to keep motorized vehicles on open roads and out of closed areas and closed roads. Free Motor Vehicle Use Maps are available at any ranger station and can also be downloaded to a smartphone, tablet and Garmin GPS receiver for use as a live navigational aid. For downloading, please visit http://go.usa.gov/PEa. (Web link is character-sensitive)

?Requiring motorists to only drive on those routes and areas shown on the Motor Vehicle Use Map is a big change,? said Jon Nelson, Coconino NF law enforcement patrol captain. ?In the past, people were able to drive off of roads with their motor vehicles, which created new roads and impacted the natural and cultural resources of the forest. Travel management will help us balance the public?s enjoyment of motorized travel with the best possible care of the land.?

See the article in the az Daily Sun on new trails for motorcycles. Hunters and Outdoorsman PLEASE write letters and Emails on your concerns and suggestions NOW. Maybe we can gain a little in the next few years. ALSO VOTE STRONG!!!

6 days and counting!!!!!

Up in 7 west people are driving all the roads that are closed and camping way off the roads for the elk hunt i bet forest service going to have there hans full this year .

LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-12 AT 11:25AM (MST)[p]Why didn't you express your anger when these travel management rules were passed under the Bush Administration in 2005? These decisions do not come from Washington or the rules would be the same in every forest and they are not.These decisions are made by career employees of the Forest Service. Most forest managers making these decisions have been in the forest service for over 20 years.

I was there in 7w . they need to close more roads . the roads that where closed in all respect should have never been roads . (trails that turned into roads. ) They could even do away with a few more roads , thats all it does is make for better hunting. there was no large area closed nothing a little walk coundnt fix.thats just my 2 cents on it.

Many of the national forests are going to travel maangement plans. I live in Colorado and I know it has occurred for Arapahoe national forest. I know some folks don't like it, particularly those that feel it is their right to drive a quad everywhere since it is public land. Take a look at the map, and was previously stated, even with all the closures your still never more than a mile or two from a road. I think it helps the hunting by keeping teh animals from getting pushed even further back into the forest. I will agree, however, the 30ft rule for camping is kind of bogus, I think 100 feet or so would make the campling experience more enjoyable.

people need to wake up, between the Bureau of Land Massacre and these travel management plans access to our public lands will be denied in a big way. Industrial wind turbines 450' high all over the AZ Strip na no way just rumor. Well, the wind turbines are needed they have to transmit renewable energy to Phoenix.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom