Lost/Left knive by gut pile?

projp

The skinning a deer fast thread reminded me of the times,(plural), I have left my knife near a gut pile.
I confess to having had someone else remind me to pick it up, going a dozen steps and then looking for it, getting to camp and remembering it, and even getting home and find it missing.
I am old now and would almost expect it, but I think I have struggled with this for almost 50 years.
Anyone else?

Several times! And hunted the same patch of woods for 30yrs and never findin em!

The first knife I ever bought for myself was a Buck, about 20 years ago. I skinned a rabbit with it to make some rabbit hair flies. I left it on the mountain for almost a year. I lost it right before a snow storm. Went back before the grass had a chance to grow and found the damn thing! Took it home, cleaned the rust off, oiled the handle, sharpened it. Long story short, I have the knife to this day.

I've left several behind. The last one was when I was smoke-poling antelope. It was about 2 miles off the main dirt road, and way into sage covered draws. When I got home, I realized I had left it. A friend had the same tag. I described to him where to go, if he got into that area, and he was able to retrieve it for me. Either my directions were great, or he was great at following directions. ??

LAST EDITED ON Sep-08-14 AT 07:55AM (MST)[p]I found my favorite hunting knigh next to a gut pile 15+ years ago......Been a great knife, maybe someday I will return the favor and leave it for someone else...

"I'm just looking for justice, a bit of that tit for tat, and to do it with some style a classic sense of panache"

Only one time.
I was bear hunting in Wyoming in 1978 and left my knife where I skinned the bear. It stayed there for over a year, right on the log, until I took my little family camping back in the area and retrieved it.

Nowadays, with the knives that I use (Grace Knives), that's the first thing I make sure I have before slinging the backpack and leaving the area. "Knock on wood"

It's an easy thing to overlook and leave behind.

Zeke

Yeah did it to a buck knife my grandparents gave me before they passed. I wish I had the knife as I would just keep it home but I still got the other gifts from them so all is well. I can say the cheaper the knife the less likely it is to be lost for some strange reason same with sunglasses. I have lost 2 pairs of Oakley's one was a set of prescriptions but I have yet to loose the cheap ones.

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

Zeke,
My Bob Grace custom knife is still sitting somewhere on the plains of Wyoming, unless someone picked it up. My boy went back to try to find it a week or so later but the gut pile was gone. Not sure what happened to it. It does have my name engraved in it, but it's not found it's way back home.
I miss that fine piece of steel!

I found a knife this season on top of a mountain that dates to WWII. Case was all rotted out and knife was rusty but pretty cool. Looked them up on eBay and in great shape go for $250, poor shape like this one $4-10. Sure would like to know the story behind it.

1+ on Robert Grace knives. He builds a solid knife that will last forever.

That is unless you loose it.

Back in 1972 I was hunting in Utah up from the Zoo on a late hunt for deer. I was up in the rocks trying to find somewhere out of the wind and up under a overhanging rock I found a knife from way way back. Hand made handle and it looks to be a forged knife blade. Kept it for years, I moved out of the house a couple of years later and got married. It turns out that my Mom gave it to a kid that was visiting the house, he saw it and liked it so Mom gave it to him.

About 30 years ago, my dad left his small pocket knife on a stump next to a creek on the North Slope where he cleaned out a bunch of fish one day. When he got home, he realized he had left it there. He headed all the way back up there, found it right where he left it. Still has it to this day.

Though it wasn't a knife, when I was about 12, we were camping up along the Grey's River in Wyoming. I had had my fill of fishing for the day so I busted out my Daisy BB Gun for some chipmunk/squirrel plinkin. We drove about 5 miles from camp for my dad and uncles to fish a new spot. I messed around with my gun the whole time. We left, and when we got back to camp, I realized I had left it leaning against a big tree where we had parked. When we got back to the spot- it was already gone. :-( Never bought another BB Gun.

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Not a knife but I did leave my 30-06 at a kill site once.
Never realized it till I was back in the tent that night getting my stuff together.
Hauled butt back out in the hills, still leaning against the tree.

Back in the 80's I left a bunch. I knew it would happen so I bought a small "Sharp" brand knife from Kmart(cheap). After taking care of a buck it was about used up. Once I learned to take care of my knife, I bought a Buck. Today I carry a Drop point Cutco, with an orange handle, awesome knife.

DZ

Last year I left my Leatherman sitting beside a road after I had used it to take off tire chains. Went back the following weekend, and it was still there.

I lose or misplace something every year it seems.

I have lost a few things at the gut pile, usually a knife case or the knife itself, but just for a few minutes until I can relocate it in the dirt I kicked over it, but once when I was helping a buddy drag out a buck, I saw a good opportunity for a picture of him dragging, so I leaned my pre 64 model 70 up against a pine walked out to get the picture of him dragging the buck, I waited till he was a ways out in front of me for the picture. When I snapped it I ran forward to go back to helping drag. At the end of the drag, when we were crawling under the rode closed gate, something didn't seem right! I figured out what it was and ran back about 1/2 mile, luckily it was still there!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom