"Lottery" tags should be free

Chow_Hound

First let me say by lottery tag, I'm talking about the tags that have such poor odds you are not likely to draw in your lifetime - sheep, goats, moose, etc.

I have stopped applying for most of these because when you are talking $1500 for a tag, the total cost of the hunt just becomes unreachable for me. Say you have a total of 10 sheep tags issues for $1500 each, that only equals $15,000. The fish and game could get the same revenue by charging the 10,000 hunters applying an extra $1.50!

Some may say that would just get more people applying, but I am not so sure with the cost of most application fees and PP today.

What do you guys think of this? What do you think - grass roots campaign.

Thanks

1st thing is you must be a non-res because in UT a res only pays $500. So I understand your pain but you will have to move to a state where you can hunt the critters you want or pay to play. you have to remember the DWR doesn't get the $10 app fee and if you want a lottery go buy a ticket and wait for your numbers to pop up then you can buy the tag you want. Right now it is basically a lottery since basically all have the same chance of drawing one of these coveted once in a lifetime tags.

And let me just say if I am lucky enough to draw one someday I will be doing whatever I have to to pay for the hunt. (My future children may be in trouble ;-).)

I am sorry for all that can't afford this tag but I already know a few people that have a hard time paying for a general season tag. So does this mean we need to lottery these tags out also?

Sorry to be so harsh but in this world we can't all have everything given to us. You can achieve anything you want. it may not be easy but you can get there whether it is a dream hunt or a dream car you just have to work towards your goal.

alpinebowman

>>>---shots that are true pass right through--->

alpinebowman,

My question to you is where is the line? What if fish and game decided to auction off all the tags to the highest bidder? Thats where these ever increasing fees are headed. Sheep tags would probably go for $10K plus. In mexico, that basically happens and a desert sheep hunt will run you $50K-$75K.

As an average American, I have a knee jerk reaction that it is wrong to make hunting for Sheep and Goats a sport for the wealthy elite. A certain amount of tags are going to go to non-residents no matter what. My point is that there are other ways of generating fish and game revenue for them than charging the tag winner an arm and a leg. Also, other ways of limiting demand like higher app fees.

Thanks

In Colorado it's a $3 application fee-----that's as close to free as there is. NM is $8.

1st rule I learned in economics was there is NO FREE LUNCH. CB

there are already higher tag fee's as many states make you buy a hunting license just to apply and on top of that you have to pay for the tag up front. Last time I checked those states still had more than enough applicants paying $2,000-$3,000 in fees just for a chance in more than one state every year. And just to know many of those applicants are the average joe's that just want to hunt and put everything in line to do that each year. The sad thing is no matter the price we will all pay to play in this sport we love. I Have a hard time believing that the tags will ever be 100% auctioned off. The DWR still depends on the average joe to keep the system running and with there lose also go the lose of the DWR. And I already think they could easily sell all of the OIL and LE tags for considerably more than what they are getting now but they don't.

Once again I know it is frustrating but these are special hunts that everybody wants and the DWR spends a lot of bucks to get each ram/moose/goat taken every year on the mountain. unfortunately these critters aren't like deer and elk that can thrive on there own with some good habitat and a little time. If you want a good example look at the new sheep herd on the stansbury mountains. In the last year alone 5-10 rams have been killed by cougars and one of them was a potential governors tag sheep. Until I can buy these tags every year I will be happy as a clam chasing mulies and elk through the hills and fit in the others when I get a chance. My days in the mountains are great whether I am hunting a "so called lowley" turkey to a mighty ram.

alpinebowman

>>>---shots that are true pass right through--->

You mis-understand me. CO charges a $3 application fee and then $1800 for a NR who draws a tag. My point is that the $1800 isn't generating any real revenue because there are only a handful of tags. You could generate the same revenue by probably charging a $4.00 application fee and $0 to the tag winners. The fish and game gets the same revenue to support the species either way.

Tx does what I am proposing. You pay $10 to apply and if you draw a tag it doesn't cost anything. It just seems like a much better way to make sheep hunting available to the common man.

"I have stopped applying for most of these because when you are talking $1500 for a tag, the total cost of the hunt just becomes unreachable for me. "

"Some may say that would just get more people applying, but I am not so sure with the cost of most application fees and PP today."

You identified the problem with your own contradiction. Your odds would become astonomical if there was not something to slim down the application pool.

497ef7695e02bf46.jpg

I see your point and I feel your pain...tags can get pricey.

But like it or not, pretty much everything in this world is "pay to play."

I don't think I'd agree with your campaign! Ha, ha

I think the way it is done is fine by me! if we did it that way everyone and there dog would put in and you would have a better chance of walking on the mooon then drawing a tag! the odds are already bad enough as it is now. its already a once in a lifetime lets not make it a once in ten lifetimes

LAST EDITED ON Jan-27-09 AT 05:24PM (MST)[p]On the flip side of that, there are way too many sheep hunters applying every year. The odds of drawing are very poor at best. Therefore might it be better to charge $3 application fee and $25,000 for the tag? I'm sure tags would sell out every year.

$25,000 to some isn't much. $1800 to someone else is prohibitive, so I see what you're saying ChowHound. Where do you draw the line? I suppose as long as YOU can afford the tag, all is well.:)

Eel

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom