LOW LOW recoil rifle

Stonefly

Very Active Member
OK guy's here is my situation.I am sure after this story some of you will realize who I am.You may have read the story (Miracle Hunt)in the Utah hunter ed instructor news letter.
Three years ago my wife fell out of her tree stand, while hunting Elk. She broke 4 vertabra in her neck. After a long recovery and countless months of harder work than you can imagine, She is shooting her bow again .(very well I might add) She has always loved Rifle Deer hunting,But her doctor said NO Recoil.Well now three years later she is doing really really good and the doc says OK to a rifle that has almost no recoil. a .243 would be to much recoil. I am looking for any idea,s on a rifle that can be made to have a tiny bit of recoil and still have enough power to cleanly take game (Deer) at say out to 150. She is an accomplished hunter. I had to make a new sight for her for her bow,she cant bend her neck the way we all do to use a sight. Iv see a camera that will attach to a scope and give you the full screen of the scope. so i'v got this part covered. Any idea's would be greatly appreciated . thanks Stonefly

great to hear shes getting back after it, the best thing that comes off the top of my head would be a .223, it sounds small but with proper shot placement it more than does the job, when i lived in alaska i know plenty of natives that would take caribou and moose with the .223, some of the better manufactures have rounds with heavier bulluts that are still putting out 1000 ft/lb of energy at 200 yards, that would put u well within the range of 150 yards, and they have very light recoil, a little noise but not much recoil. i would just go through the ammo companys websites and look at which rounds have the downrange energy vs the recoil, i cant think of the formula off the top of my head but i know a quick google search would come up with it and it would make it very easy to calculate. i hope this helps and best of luck to you!

AR platform or a muzzle brake would be my thought. I can't believe how well the muzzle brake works on my less than 8 pound scoped 300 wsm. I was worried about having it considering all of the negative stories concerning how loud it was, but it didn't seem bad to me.

Sorry to hear about the wife's accident but I applaud her determination and passion to get back at it!

I know I'm not much help but the advise above sounds good. If there's one thing I could add it would be a quality after market recoil pad on the rifle. It made a big difference on one of my rifles. Also maybe some of the padded shirts and such?

Good luck!

I have a friend who had a stroke and can only use his right side.I built up a Browning BAR in 243, mounted on a seriously steady tripod.

There is almost no recoil and sighting, shooting and even reloading a second clip is possible for him.

Good luck and ......NEVER GIVE UP!

I would say browning bar in .243 with a muzzle brake. The semi-auto action takes about 30% of the recoil away and the brake takes another 30%. I have this same rig in 30 06 and I can't really feel recoil at all its just really loud.

I never recommend a 22 caliber rifle for any big game hunting because i. just don't believe they have the down range energy to cleanly kill big game in a wide variety of shot situations.

In this case however, if it's legal where the planned hunt is, i would seriously make an exception. Careful shots taken within reasonable ranges will cleanly kill. I'd also recommend a muzzle break on any rifle you decide to go with.

.223, .222, 22-250, any of these cartridges should/would work for your needs.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Oct-25-12 AT 10:49PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-25-12 AT 10:49?PM (MST)

223 has always been plenty. I have even seen an oryx downed with one shot from a 17 Remington, just so you know what proper shot placement can do and also know of a hunter that downed a water buffalo with a 223, but that took three shots :). My wife normally shoots a 223 but this year is shooting my dad's 270 with remington and hornady reduced recoil loads. She has a late season tag and I think she might get a longer shot than normal. Felt recoil is right at about 6 pounds (heavy wood rifle with a Limbsaver pad) and her 223 is at 3 pounds. Her round of choice is the Barnes TSX for her 223 in case you decide to go that route.

For your wife, I would build a custom stock imbedded with a mercury rod and install a muzzlebrake on a 243, perferably on a Browning BAR. The semi auto action will knock off some of the recoil along with the muzzle break and then add in the mercury counter-acting the recoil.... You would probably be able to shoot the thing off the tip of your nose and not even so as much as even feel it tickle you. ;)

LAST EDITED ON Oct-26-12 AT 00:41AM (MST)[p]
We can even get into this even further and go this route.

http://www.hornady.com/store/243-Win-87-gr-SST-customlite/

Hornady makes a 243 round that has 40% less recoil than traditional rounds.

You are looking at 6.6 pounds of felt recoil, depending on your rifle weight. Now, incorporate a muzzle brake and a mercury rod...you are money at that point :) Even just going with a semi-auto rifle, you are knocking off a good chunk of recoil.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-26-12 AT 05:48AM (MST)[p]

There is no reason to go with anything less than 243 caliber although a 22-250 would be in the running.

muzzlebrake, muzzlebrake, muzzlebrake

ear protection, ear protection, ear protection

As stated a semiauto and good pad would help more.

A heavy rifle helps as well.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

LAST EDITED ON Oct-26-12 AT 06:02AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-26-12 AT 05:59?AM (MST)

THANKS FOR ALL THE IDEA'S!! We know where to start now. You guys have got her really excited. I'm going to post a couple pic's so you can all see what it is your helping us with. In the pic's youll see a cable on her C1 C2,and C3 her C2 was crushed. The plates and screwsans rods are on her C5,C6,and C7. C6 and C7 were also broken. So everyone knows, She did have all her safety equipment on and was very used to using it.( The year before the accident she was awarded the Utah Central region Hunter Ed. of the year award.) At the time we didn't know she had health problems. She became ill while in the stand and as she was removing her safety belt and putting on her linesman belt, she passed out and fell.
1282487864_112297098916969_1012901848_n.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Oct-26-12 AT 07:59AM (MST)[p]Stonefly, these guys have given you plenty of information. I just wanted to wish you and your wife luck. I think its great that she got right back out there.

Those pics bring back some memories. My son has rods in his back although his issues were different and much lower. But you gotta LOVE THOSE SCREWS! I am always amazed by that! I wonder if they use a Dewalt or a Makita screw gun in the OR. :)

Edit: Please post some info on this camera/scope idea. Sounds interesting.

look into the 6.5 creedmoor. I have one in a 7 lb rifle that kicks less that a 243. shoots 140 gr bullets with plenty of energy to kill deer as far as you would want to shoot. Ruger and Browning are chambering rifles in it. Past that look into a muzzle break.

.243 with a more heavier stock, muzzel break and a limp savers pad at end of stock..........

>
>There is no reason to go
>with anything less than 243
>caliber although a 22-250 would
>be in the running.
>
>muzzlebrake, muzzlebrake, muzzlebrake
>
>ear protection, ear protection, ear protection
>
>
>As stated a semiauto and good
>pad would help more.
>
>A heavy rifle helps as well.
>
>
>txhunter58
>

+1
Winner! That's the advice I'd give.
Good luck to your wife!
Zeke

I killed a Deer once with a .223 and 64gr Winchester Power Points. Broke the on shoulder and lodged under the off shoulder, very clean kill at 100 yards. Put that in an AR with a heavy barrel and it will feel like a .22 LR....

2a0fcsk.gif

Saw a youngster with a .270 with a muzzle brake shoot a cow elk last week. The rifle didn't move. That should do the trick.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-26-12 AT 01:32PM (MST)[p].223 with a Barnes 53gr TSX will kill any deer at any reasonable distance. IMO, bullet choice (and placement) is far more important than the headstamp.

NVbighorn I was kidding around with the doc about 6 months after her accident and ask the same thing "what kind of drill do you use" he repllied, Makita NO SH###T

I own a AR-15 in .223, a Browning Micro 22-250, and a Savage 110 in a 6.5 284 Norma with a boss.

While it's loud and weighs a lot more than the .223 or the 22-250 the 6.5 is the softest recoil rifle I've ever shot vs bullet size. In fact it's amazingly soft.

If you live in Utah, I would be more than happy to bring any of these rifles to you and let you try them out. If not, I'd really try to find someone with a Savage 110 in 6.5 to test. You'll be glad you did.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-26-12 AT 09:57PM (MST)[p]Might be worth carrying around a led sled and shooting off of that. Very little recoil through the rest, even with my 300 ultra.

Caldwell led sled plus is the one I have.

NVbighorn I have seen these camera mounts in several varmint/preditor video's along with some small game its made by Orion here is one I saw on youtube.

When I was young all I hunted with was a .22-250. With shots under 200 yards a well placed shot will be clean every time. I killed a number of whiteys and mule deer with it and they never went any further than when shot with a 300 winmag. It's all about placement. Best of luck and great to hear your wife is still at it.

I have scanned the posts but would a suppressor be allowed in a case like this. They are all over in Africa and there is zero noise or recoil on the calibers my friend was shooting. I don't know the legalities of them in the States.

no most states dont allow them which i find absolutely stupid, game departments think they are too "quiet". which is dumb, i mean as a bow hunter if you shoot something do you have to blow off a foghorn? no, obviously. i feel as though they would be better as far as not spooking game and people enjoying there time in the woods. imagine being in the woods in a spot you know is hunted by others and not hearing so much as a single gunshot all day. obviously there are the dip$hits who would abuse the privilige by shooting at night and what not, but those kinds of people are going to do it anyways. just like guns, outlaw guns and only outlaws will have them.

Agree on the suppressor idea. If they are legal I would get one. Hunted with one here in PA and all I can say is they are awesome. No noise, muzzle jump, or recoil.

I bought my wife a browning X bolt hunter in 7mm-08. She can watch the bullet hit in the scope, kicks less than my 22-250. You're welcome to shoot it if you're close and see if you want to go that route? I'm in northeast Utah.

Start with virtually no recoil and go down from there is my suggestion. Its a popular hunting round also.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I have a Winchester model70 22-250 with a heavy barrel. This gun has no recoil at all. I let my 7 year old daughter shoot it. With the right load this is plenty of gun for mule deer. This gun is actually for sale if you are interested let me know. Good luck too your wife and good luck in the field.

Hey, I know you have gotten a lot of really great responses but I wanted to just give you some food for thought.

They measure the recoil to the shoulder in foot pounds of energy (As you already know)...

The equation used to get that number is:

(bullet weight X Muzz Veloc +(4700 X Powder Weight)^2

All divided by:

(64.34 X Gun Weight)

All weights are in pounds so a little conversion from grains will be needed.

If you know how many Ft Lbs she can handle you can work they equation backwards and find a gun/load that works for her.

I found all this infor at hodgdon.com

THANKS EVERYONE! We have received a huge amount of info from you guys. Myself and my Wife really wish to thank all of you who responded. You cant imagine how stoked she is (and me) that there is a chance she will be able to shoot and Hunt with a rifle again. We have studied the recoil charts, looked at muzzle brakes, Bullet and ballistic charts, Action types ect. Now she is deciding what she wants to try. ( I'm leaning towards a semi .243 VAIS muzzel brake,C&H mercury recoil suppressor.and a KEGS versa pod.) She say's "YA a gun with all those things to take out the kick"! Thank you all again

Stonefly

I didn't take the time to read all the posts but it sounds like you are getting some good info.
If you can you may want to look into a 6.5 x 47 Lapua. I do not feel any recoil at all from mine. Very accurate more range than the .243 fun gun to shoot. You need to load your own ammo so you can get a load that she will be able to shoot all day.
Great selection of 6.5 bullets to choose from. My nine year old shoots it and gets pretty good groups and the recoil doesn't bother him, but then he is a bigger gun nut than I am and drags me out shooting more than I drag him out. I mainly got the gun for deer and to let my kids hunt with it. It is accurate enough that I can hit the gong out to seven hundred yards but that is stretching it for knockdown energy with my loads.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom