Lowa Sheep Hunters

califhuntn

I have a pair of these that are about 1-1/2 years old. They worked flawless until recently. I noticed that last couples of weeks while I have been pig hunting that one of my boots squeeks really bad. The noise is coming from the bend in the boot where the ankle meets the top of the foot.

It is very noticable and I am sure the wildlife can hear it. This may be a dumb question but do you guys know of anything I can do to silence this? Thanks.

JR

I might try cooking Mink Oil into them. The best is to warm the boots up in the stove or sort of near a wood stove. BE CAREFUL ABOUT HOW HOT YOU GET THEM as it isn't good for them. Then rub in the mink oil and then cook it in in some way. IT STINKS somewhat. I do this in the summer and use the car trunk to cook it in and heat the boots. Depending on the temps in your area you might be able to do that now though. Nixwax creme might also be a first consideration. I have not used it yet but lots of folks in the backpacking world rave about it. The Mink Oil is an old school method from the 60's through 80's. Bear Grease used to be the best way but I do not think they make it anymore. PS this is going to soften up your boots a good bit!

Don't use mink oil or any other product like it!!! It breaks down the leather and makes it less water proof. I would recommend a bee-wax compound like obernauf's that you can put on the surface, rub it in, and let it be. It protects the leather and should reduce or stop the squeaking by lubricating it. You can find it at any good store that sells boots. Also, never put your boots in the oven since it also breaks them down.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-16-08 AT 03:09PM (MST)[p]Yep you can heat a boot too much hence my warning about that. I have never had mink oil not waterproof a boot but did mention it is old school and that NixWax is the new way and is recommended by Lowa. It is supposed to be wax based. BTW a car trunk I do not think will go past 180 degrees, about as low a setting as you can get the oven to and no more than a boot might experience in the real world. Just my experience though. Not wanting to over ride the manufacturers recommendations or step on anyones toes here . http://www.nikwax.com/en-us/index.php
http://www.nikwax.com/en-us/product...ductid=263&activityid=1&itemid=-1&fabricid=-1

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom