Lucky cow permit Dec. hunt in Unit 9!!

muzzletim

I was fortunate to draw one of the 300 cow elk permits in the special draw. I was scouting last weekend but did not see much around Mt. Taylor, I imagine they have moved down to the flats? Any ideas or suggestions?

After two rifle hunts you are going to have a fun time on that hunt. The elk are spooky and nowhere to be found. Send me a PM when you get this and I can give you a spot to get one.

Hey everyone, just got back from scouting and had a couple of questions. I had planned on taking 239 up to the northern part of the unit but ran into a closed gate just above antelope flats and also noticed a sign that said BLM 1103 was closed father north. Since I'm not familiar with 9 that well, is there another way in from 550 that's open, or is it really worth the effort? If anyone has any suggestions, a PM would be great. I did see a few areas that look interesting north of Mt Taylor, but no fresh sign.

Thanks!

Phil

LAST EDITED ON Dec-05-09 AT 09:43PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-05-09 AT 09:42?PM (MST)

i know if you are trying to access unit 9 from 550 the only way to get in would be the bottom through floyd lee's property i dont know the county road number but its pretty much private and checker board on bottom but u can access it. if you try to go through the top by barrel springs that gate will be closed as well. if i were going on that cow hunt i would go to san mateo mesa plenty of cows there with easy access.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom