Luepold FYI

Bambistew

Very Active Member
I just recently talked with a Leupold rep at a sporting show. I thought that you guys might like to know what's going on with thier scopes.

Just so I can confuse you lets start by saying that they only make a Vari X3 now... The new scopes are VX1, VX2, and the Rifleman. He was very particular about that.

The VX1 that they put out two years ago, has been changed again for this year. The "old" VX1 had the magnisium floride coating that had 82% light transmission. The "new" VX1 has Multicoat4 which is the same as the "new" VX2 and both have 86% light transmission. So now the only diffrence between the new VX1 and the new VX2 is that the VX2 had click windage and elevation adjusments while the VX1 had friction type adjustments. Clear as mud right?

To distinguish between the new VX1 and the old is pretty easy. If it has a matt coating then it for sure is a new model, but if its gloss, look at the Leupold name on the side, if its thin letters like the old VariX2's then its the old model VX1, but if it has embossed lettering then its the new model.

So what it all boils down to is the new VX1 is the same scope ,minus the click windage adjustments, as the new VX2. The new VX1 costs about $50 less. So if you don't dink around with the windage and elevation adjustments get the VX1.

I didn't mention the new "Rifleman" it has friction adjustments, and mag flouride coating. It has a diffrent bell housing shape too. The rep said it was easier to manufacture so he figures that it will take up the spot at the low end, and he figures that the VX1 and VX2 will go up in price to accomodate this new model... So if you are planing on buying a VX1 or 2 I would do it soon before the Rifleman hits the market.

Ivan

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom