Lyman Deerstalker

fairchase

I am interested in getting a 54 cal. rifle to shoot heavy conicals for Elk in a state that is rather strict regarding regulations.
What are your thoughts on the Lyman Deerstalker with a 1 in 48 twist?
I have all the basic questions, how is the fit and finish, weight, balance? Ease of cleaning? Do you feel that it's an accurate rifle? And what type of loads does this and other 1 in 48 muzzleloaders seem to prefer? Any thoughts and opinions are great. Thanks
FC

FC, I got the stainless steel version which has a 1:32 twist. I prefer conicals so I opted for this one. I like it a lot, looks good and handles like a dream. For the .54, I went with the "No Excuses" conical. This will be one of the guns I take to UT if I get a ML 300 tag.

My son has just this rifle. he shot his first buck with a 390 grain buffallo bullet. at about 40 yards and dropped him like a rock. At the range we had good patterns with 105 grains of Pyrodex. this worked for him.

I am glad to hear some good reviews on the Deerstalker. I didn't know the Stainless is a 1 in 32 twist, interesting.
Is a 1 in 32 the prefered twist rate, for what I want to shoot? (54 cal big conicals 400+ grains)
Also, from a foot hunter who will carry this rifle all day, how is the total rifle weight? Thanks.
FC

Fairchase,

There is another rifle to consider. It is the T/C Black Mountain Magnum. It has a few more goodies on it at the same price as a stainless Lyman.

For a few dollars more however, you can get a 209 primer system in a sidelock. It's called the Firestorm. Here's the link for an outlet with excellent prices. Just scroll down to view these rifles.
http://www.tjgeneralstore.com/thompson.htm

Honey!.. I swear I got that rifle free from an elderly widow at work that recently lost her husband... I would never lie to you babycakes!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom